Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Jun 9, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #497 of 4,655
I've been getting and trading headphones for a few years now, but just now investing in some truly decent ones. I'm a former professional musician (jazz, blues, R&B, punk, etc), so I know what good sound is. My wife was happy to see me get some Grado SR-80i's and AKG K550's, but right away she said the AKG's were too strident, and "they sound different when they're in different places": a common problem with them. I got some Momentums to replace the 550's, and she immediately said they were more "full and warm". This is without me teaching her any of these words or exposing her to any of these sonic stereotypes.

I SO married the right woman.

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #498 of 4,655
Had a pair of friends tested my DT880, first thing they mentioned was how clear it sounds. Now one of them is looking for an upgrade over his Razer headphones. Was not able to convince the other guy as he is more of a speaker person.

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #502 of 4,655
Quote:
Let a colleaque listen to my akg k3003 and asked him to estimate the price. He responded 'sound is really good, think they cost at least 50 euros!'.

Why even ask the question? I can't think of any non-audiophiles I know who would ever guess $1K or above even if they saw customs. I bet you do it for the looks on their faces, don't you?

Jun 14, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #503 of 4,655
Quote:
Why even ask the question? I can't think of any non-audiophiles I know who would ever guess $1K or above even if they saw customs. I bet you do it for the looks on their faces, don't you?

Yes
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 14, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #504 of 4,655
Jun 14, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #507 of 4,655
Quote:
Just had a look at your inventory, you have really enough 'on stock' to try this again!

P.s. one of the next headohones of desire i want to get is the ps1000, but the price in germany...

My inventory is actually larger than what's on my profile; I rarely update it. A lot of it tends to lie about the house, but the main cans that get use are the Mad Dog (my go-to casual listening can, as well as my choice at the workplace), ESP950 (for acoustic and quieter classical), KNS8400 (monitoring/mixing), T5p (mastering), and PS1000 (for the heaviest of rock). I also rock the S4 when I really don't feel like packing a full setup on the go. I tend not to bring anything over $350 out of the house or workplace anymore, as I've had a number of Westone IEMs and a few full-sizers that either were broken or "went missing".

I'd say to go for the PS1K if it's anywhere under 2500 Euro or so. It's superior to the HD800 if you listen to heavily-layered genres (at least to my ears). At above that price, you may find yourself happier with an SR007.

Jun 14, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #508 of 4,655
Took out my Grado SR325s and Audio-Technica AD2000s with my Amphora with a friend to test out. He knows that I'm really into this type of stuff and quite receptive to it. He really enjoyed both the Grados and the AD2000s. I was surprised at how well he described the sound signature of each: said that the AD2000s sounded a bit wider and had more focus on the vocals while the SR325s had more guitar tone and had more treble.

Then I brought out the F111s. He really loved those, thought they were the best out of all of them. Now he's looking for a $150 IEM himself. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #509 of 4,655
I have had many of my friends listen to my denon d2000 that has the cups switched out to the d7000 cups and everyone of them have been wowed when i have them listen to production music. (two steps from hell, audiomachine, etc) The first thing they tell me is that it feels like they're in some surround sound theather with really good speakers. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back