Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Mar 13, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #1,756 of 4,655
On the 400s it was just like... it was THERE, and I could HEAR it, but it didn't really fill up the ear cups. The LCD2s felt like there was some actual sound pressure from the bass, although it wasn't exactly powerful. 

To me, bass heavy means in busy music the low frequencies are prominent, not just apparent. Yes, on the open headphones I could hear the bass, but to call that sound "balanced" is just weird to me. The cymbals were shimmery and right up front, but the bass tones were more like background noise. Yes, the HE-400s and LCD2s can go VERY deep. They can hit frequencies all the way down. They're just not very loud, and if they're in the midst of other music you won't really be conscious of them.

It's a weird double standard to me. A headphone like the Grado RS1i is considered top-notch and apparently worth nearly a grand and people will rave about how it's just like sitting in a "jazz club" (to quote a head-fi review). It's "proper" and "audiophile-level" to ooh and ahh over EXTREMELY prominent treble or mids, but if you like bass you can feel you're just a trend-kiddie who got caught up in the Beats sound. 

Let me tell you, by the way. I've been to a lot of rock and metal concerts, and those open headphones do NOT sound like being the audience of one. The power of the bass and the impact of the kick drum is so heavy you can feel it in your CHEST. The more "consumer grade" headphones are more accurate from that end. 

I hate going to gigs for sq. It sounds terrible! Loud and distorted and painful!!! My ears ring for days. That isn't how music should sound.

Mar 13, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #1,757 of 4,655
I hate going to gigs for sq. It sounds terrible! Loud and distorted and painful!!! My ears ring for days. That isn't how music should sound.

I wasn't saying it was "good" or not, just that the notion of "it sounds like you're actually there!" is an inherently flawed concept. 

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #1,759 of 4,655
Mar 13, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #1,760 of 4,655
It's a shame to hear that the LCD-2's aren't bass-heavy

Only open back cans I can be sure that are bass-heavy are the HE-300, but they're low or mid-fi.

I have hope for the HE-500 or HE-5. Or maybe one of the new HiFiMan offerings.

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #1,761 of 4,655
Lol. Look up JVC HA-MR77X. More bass than you'll ever need. And its partly open backed. Need a good amp tho... But its better than any other can for bass except JVC SZ2000's.

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #1,762 of 4,655
  Depends on what you're comparing them to.  Compared to most consumer-oriented closed headphones they're bass light.  Compared to most audiophile oriented headphones they're bass heavy.

Exactly.

Further, these closed backs and the bloated bass they offer do not compare to the type of quality you can get from the likes of anything ranging from LCD-2 to HD800.

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #1,763 of 4,655
Lol. Look up JVC HA-MR77X. More bass than you'll ever need. And its partly open backed. Need a good amp tho... But its better than any other can for bass except JVC SZ2000's.

Uhm was this aimed at me? I'm already in a price bracket double that, and I will be spending 600-800 to upgrade.

I doubt that just the bass on any JVC headphone is as good as the HE-300's, or the V-Moda M-100, or the HE-500's...I'm a little bit confused...

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #1,765 of 4,655
It's possible that my definition of "bass heavy" is different than most. When I say "bass heavy" I mean that in a hip hop or electronic track the bass really makes the cups whirr, even if it's a little bit. It's entirely possible that in comparison to other open-back planars the LCD2's are bassier, but to me they only seem bassy up against the Grado RS1i I tried and maybe the HE-400s.

I feel like it's BS that people can rave about the ultra-treble on Grado phones and be considered part of the "high quality audio" community, but if people like thundering bass they're brainwashed Beats acolytes who don't know what good sound is. I just don't get it. It's not unusual if someone thinks the Beats sound better than the LCD's, because if you like bass the LCDs sound like crap. But give them a D7100 and they'll probably be STUNNED at the quality. And that's the thing. It's possible to have tons of quality AND that big, thundering low end. 

Now, if someone thinks Beats sound like a boomy mess, then they'll probably adore the HE-500 or the HD-650 or whatever, but thinking a headphone that's all bass pound sounds good, to ME, is no better or worse than thinking a headphone that's nothing but screaming treble sounds good. Yet somehow the audiophile world has decided that bass = pedestrian, highs = refined. 

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #1,766 of 4,655

I wasn't saying it was "good" or not, just that the notion of "it sounds like you're actually there!" is an inherently flawed concept. 

Actually... you could get pretty close... depending on where "there" is... live concert... of course not! you still need all the drunk ppl around you shout and screaming too. But for say a small intimate jazz lounge, a small stage performance, a quiet concert hall, a recording studio... you might be able to get pretty close
wink_face.gif

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #1,767 of 4,655
I think Grado is one of the most criticized brands on Head-Fi. (Other than Beats and Bose, of course) But maybe I just have a different perspective.

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #1,769 of 4,655
It's possible that my definition of "bass heavy" is different than most. When I say "bass heavy" I mean that in a hip hop or electronic track the bass really makes the cups whirr, even if it's a little bit. It's entirely possible that in comparison to other open-back planars the LCD2's are bassier, but to me they only seem bassy up against the Grado RS1i I tried and maybe the HE-400s.

I feel like it's BS that people can rave about the ultra-treble on Grado phones and be considered part of the "high quality audio" community, but if people like thundering bass they're brainwashed Beats acolytes who don't know what good sound is. I just don't get it. It's not unusual if someone thinks the Beats sound better than the LCD's, because if you like bass the LCDs sound like crap. But give them a D7100 and they'll probably be STUNNED at the quality. And that's the thing. It's possible to have tons of quality AND that big, thundering low end. 

Now, if someone thinks Beats sound like a boomy mess, then they'll probably adore the HE-500 or the HD-650 or whatever, but thinking a headphone that's all bass pound sounds good, to ME, is no better or worse than thinking a headphone that's nothing but screaming treble sounds good. Yet somehow the audiophile world has decided that bass = pedestrian, highs = refined. 

Nooooo i have to disagree with u on ur last remark....a true audiophile searches for a balanced sound..low-midrange-treble..all mixed into one total package.. Pityfull to achieve that u have to invest BIG..and even then u wont get a perfect balance..but If invested wisely u come close...

Am now listening to E.S. Posthumus.. Never heard of them and found them by accident..but the music they play!! ( instrumental)..if u like a mix with Enya kind of music and classical music with a touch of modern music..try their music..an eyeopener..very relaxing and sometimes very powerful! It has bass, treble, violins, orchestra and sometimes even singing choirs on the background ..it has everything to test ur rig or to just enjoy it like i do now...

A bit oftopic: anyone has experience with these gaming laptops? Are they any good? I need a laptop on the go for gaming (FPS)...not to expensive..under 1500usd! I dont need fancy looks..just raw cpu and gpu power with excellent screen.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Fangbook_Evo_AX7-300_Gaming_Notebook

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #1,770 of 4,655
- audiophiles do not necessarily have to search for a perfectly neutral sound, they just search for what sounds best to them
- audiophilia is a hardware-driven hobby; no matter how mad people get at that idea.  by definition audiophiles are hi-fi enthusiasts, and you need hardware for that.  It's also upgrades in hardware that keeps their personal journey alive until they've reached a point where it's almost impossible to spend more.
- you don't have to spend big bucks for balance (hd600, focal spirit pro)
- if achieving perfect balance was the end-goal for the audiophile then there would only be those two topics on head-fi... and a couple others

I agree there's hypocrisy when a self-proclaimed audiophile blindly shuns something bass bloated like the Beats then by the same token Go listen to their treble cannon Beyerdynamic, Grado, Ultrasone, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back