Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Jan 8, 2019 at 12:25 AM Post #29,071 of 36,040
Banned, get out.
Here's a picture of the mysterious Wata laying down the ban hammer. :D

maxresdefault.jpg

Jan 8, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #29,073 of 36,040
Have you guys bought the replacement cable from the Noble website, and is it with memory wire (as in the product picture) or with heat shrink as the ones come with Massdrop products?

Jan 8, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #29,074 of 36,040
Jan 8, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #29,075 of 36,040
Okay update to a previous post, Sony triple comforts did not work at all for me. They're right at the size of being either too small to fill my ear or too big to go in deep enough, but they just fall out. I finally got a email back from Soundmolds and they can do the k10s because they've done them in the past. Digital tends have them a good review and instead of sending them in a war impression right away, apparently they send you a kit to do it yourself and you make two of each ear to get a more accurate impression. At $130 I guess it's worth a shot. Anyone ever use Soundmolds? I think they're in the US where I am.

Jan 9, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #29,076 of 36,040
Have you guys bought the replacement cable from the Noble website, and is it with memory wire (as in the product picture) or with heat shrink as the ones come with Massdrop products?

I believe it is with heat shrink but @FullCircle can confirm!

Jan 9, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #29,080 of 36,040
The way it's going I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up banning himself by accident. What's that about absolute power corrupting ? :p

We are all doomed! How do you kill that which has no life?

Jan 10, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #29,082 of 36,040
Jan 11, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #29,084 of 36,040
I was fortunate enough to audition the Khan at Plaza Singapura's Stereo Electronics. Apologies for the horrid phone photo.

SG2019-2.jpg

Here are my thoughts:

The Khan has a crisp, energetic and musical signature - the product of a sparkly, open treble counterbalanced against a warm, full-bodied bass. Although it’s a signature that’s become relatively common nowadays, the Khan supersedes most of its ilk through sheer physicality. This is an immensely punchy IEM that sounds downright addictive with percussion, especially. Pre-panned tom rolls where hits are happening all around the listener's head are where this phenomenon is most effective. Hits pop from the in-ear’s serene, black background with great impact, and it’s a treat every time.

The bass is to credit for this. The Khan’s low-end punches with a balance of warmth and authority. Hits are harmonic, rounded and - again - pop, but they aren’t terribly undefined either. The low-end is quite strongly layered and only a hair bright in tone. Of course, for such a signature to exist, there’s a sacrifice to be made in timbre. Although the Khan remains admirably neutral in tone - largely due to the warmth of the bass - the crispness of the treble prevents it from being wholly accurate to my ears. Horns and saxophones have a slight reediness to them, and vocals are crisper - more transient-led - than what I’d call natural. Vocal performances hold weight, but aren’t the most powerful or resonant I’ve heard. Simply put, the treble could’ve been smoother for a more life-like texture, but that’s not what I believe the Khan aims to be anyway.

What it loses in naturalness however, it gains in imaging, layering and separation. The treble’s snappy nature gives the Khan great immediacy, and laces its soundscape with lots of detail as well. For its intended tuning and configuration, coherence is relatively high. Where it's weakest however is probably the midrange. The upper-mids are well-presented with zing to spare, but the lower-mids leave some to be desired. It’s neutrally-positioned and un-impactful relative to the rest of the pack. This isn’t an IEM I’d recommend for rich male vocals or meaty, roaring electrical guitars.

But all in all, the Khan is immensely proficient at crafting large stages and packing them to the brim with nuance and detail. This is an IEM that lovers of the A18t or the Legend X should look out for. Its arsenal of physical quirks certainly offer something extra to percussion that I haven't heard from those two. In terms of tonal transparency, the Khan is... good. The lower-mids are on the lean side and the middle-treble tends to tizz quite a bit; I’m guessing there’s a significant peak around 10kHz. It’s definitely not made for the studio. But, if you’re up for a vast, detailed and fun-sounding TOTL - and you don’t mind having all your tracks tinged with a similar brand of crisp cleanliness - the Khan is a flagship worth looking out for, even at its hefty price of S$3300.

Attachments

• IMG_0807.jpeg
    IMG_0807.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back