Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Nov 23, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #16,321 of 36,067

Oh, I was thinking these were the same as the purple, red and blue and green and blue ones. Is this the dragon scale look instead? Never mind, the golden dragon, DUH me.

wink_face.gif

In the dragon design?  What would be the difference?

Basically the entire piece would appear as if it was covered in scales, not just the faceplates.

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #16,323 of 36,067
I'm sorry, but this is hogwash. While you may hear things that you prefer in balanced VS SE, that means nothing. Here's an analogue from a different hobby: I prefer the way the Sun Optical 28/2,5 Nikon F lens renders to the Ai/S 28/2,8 Nikon lens, but it is markedly and measurably worse. It's warmer and has smoother out of focus transitions. And it has six, not 7 aperture blades, making for a more classic defocus highlight. 

But in every measurable way, it is worse. It could be the inverse of that, but it's not. Kris is right, and, there's even data to back it up. Balanced has a few innate advantages, but only if they are properly used. Every AK device I've tested has had a poor quality balanced output, and a merely decent to good quality SE output when driving load. If what you hear doesn't correspond to measurements, it means only one thing: what you hear is just your preference, and your preference does not line up with testable reality. 

For instance, the AK380's balanced output is FAR WORSE than its SE when driving load. RMAA: Astell&Kern AK380 24-bit. 
But the Onkyo DP-X1's balanced output holds up to its SE in all by dynamic range, stereo channel separation, and signal not noise ratios. RMAA: Onkyo DP-X1 24-bit single-ended and balanced

Again, that's not to say that you or someone else, won't prefer the AK380's balanced output, but it is measurably worse in every loaded metric, and the difference to its unloaded metrics (SE VS BAL) is almost outlier difference.

Fair enough, but as I did mention, (based on my portable amp experience), I'm not actually a believer of balanced amplification outright surpassing single ended amplification.

What I really meant was, as in the case of schiit, the circuitry is clearly designed to be optimised for the balanced output, which is why even the schiit guys have said that the SE output isn't that great.

Now I won't pretend to be an engineer, I'm not and I don't know how circuit designs work. I also won't dare to claim that this whole 'optimised for balanced' circuit design applies in the DAP realm either. But I think it is a fair assumption that this is a possibility, given that this has actually been done and clearly stated by the designer in the desktop setting on at least one occasion.

Ok let's not derail the thread anymore :p Yay noble!

Nov 24, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #16,324 of 36,067
Nov 24, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #16,325 of 36,067
Nov 24, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #16,327 of 36,067
Nov 24, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #16,328 of 36,067
The Black Friday sale has me very interested in the universal Savant.

I actually own the 8 driver CIEM from the good doctor's pre-Noble days and also used to have the 350 IEM from back then too. Does the Savant offer the same level of detail retrieval that the 350 is capable of? It was an absolute detail monster but prone to being overly sibilant on a lot of recordings.

Nov 24, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #16,329 of 36,067

I actually own the 8 driver CIEM from the good doctor's pre-Noble days and also used to have the 350 IEM from back then too. Does the Savant offer the same level of detail retrieval that the 350 is capable of? It was an absolute detail monster but prone to being overly sibilant on a lot of recordings.

I had the 350 too and found that to be more revealing. That thing is one of the most revealing bastards around, very harsh though with a poor recording.

I would recommend the SLA savant if you want to go for it, based on my experiences with the noble universals and customs, I find the customs to sound quite a bit better. It's all personal of course. Plus you are paying more :p

Nov 24, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #16,330 of 36,067
I would recommend the SLA savant if you want to go for it, based on my experiences with the noble universals and customs, I find the customs to sound quite a bit better. It's all personal of course. Plus you are paying more :p

As much as i love the universal savant at its price, i have to say i question the sla savant at 1200 quite a bit. There are better sounding products with better designs at that price.

I would highly suggest going with the discounted universal savant. To me thats where the value is.

Nov 24, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #16,331 of 36,067
Have there been any pics of the SLA monitors posted anywhere?

Nov 24, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #16,332 of 36,067

The Savant is more user friendly than the 350,  it is not as harsh, and doesn't require an amp.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Nov 24, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #16,333 of 36,067

The Savant is more user friendly than the 350,  it is not as harsh, and doesn't require an amp.

That's true, a lot of people including me are anti DAP/AMP stack these days, the balanced out on some DAPs might power it though. I didn't realise there were Savant demo units here in Singapore until this morning, will head down one of these days!

I had the 350 too and found that to be more revealing. That thing is one of the most revealing bastards around, very harsh though with a poor recording.

I would recommend the SLA savant if you want to go for it, based on my experiences with the noble universals and customs, I find the customs to sound quite a bit better. It's all personal of course. Plus you are paying more
tongue.gif

I'd prefer a custom too, I usually have fit issues with most universals. That said, I don't think I can justify dropping so much down on the Savant custom. It's an extremely attractive buy as a universal. Also, if I were getting a Noble custom I'd probably want a Wizard design or a re-print!

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #16,334 of 36,067
Kudos to Noble audio team - Sunny,Ally,Brannan for thier continued polite and courteous customer service. Few days ago had talked about some discomfort in my right ear using K10's in this thread . Got a pm few days ago from Brannan saying he would sort it if I needed a refit. He was very helpful and understanding of my needs.That is amazing proactive CS ( something I had experienced with Westone as well which has excellent CS).keep up the good work guys, you are amazing and made me a believer (que Niel Diamond Here)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back