Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Sep 21, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #5,551 of 36,116
Back to the size difference between the noble classic univ, vs wizard univ.

The wizard shells are identical, but they are sanded down and the curves of the shells are made to be more organic, and injection mold seems are sanded/removed etc etc

A final hand finished wizard univ is technically a bit smaller

That's what I assumed but good job anyway 
wink_face.gif
 I get a spectacular fit with that N6W

Sep 22, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #5,558 of 36,116
They're here!

I'm not seeing enough love for the N5's around here.  Or universals for that matter.  Let's see if we can't fix that. 
wink_face.gif

First of all, my thanks for the fast shipping - I was told my pair was finished on Friday, and they were shipped to the opposite side of the country by two-day air and I had them by noon today.  Much appreciated!

I have to apologize for the unimpressive quality of that photo - it's the best I could muster with my phone (the D3200 didn't come to the university with me this time), and a few sheets of paper plus one xenon flashlight as diffuse lighting... they look a lot more stunning in person.  Love the wood - unique, yet classy and professional enough that I'd be glad to wear them just about anywhere.

It was an interesting ride when I first heard these.  Coming directly from strictly circumaural headphones, the in-your-head sound of an IEM really sort of caught me off-guard more so than I expected... after finding an acceptable set of eartips (I would like to find something deeper than Noble's kit, probably some sort of tri-flange... I must have abnormally shaped ear canals, as I just can't get anything to stick in my right ear), I listened for a while, and I'd say my head must have done the burning in this time, because I'm really starting to love these!

Coming from a pair of SRH-940s (quite the jump, isn't it?), I was afraid at first that the warmer N5's would be a bit too far in the opposite end of the spectrum, so to speak, but that isn't the case at all.  I'm finding them very musical and most importantly very enjoyable to listen to, much more so than the cold and analytical signature I'm used to.  I wouldn't call them neutral... maybe a bit of a V if anything, though that's an opinion coming from the least qualified person you've ever met.  I haven't put the things down all day, and while I know it isn't exactly a fair comparison, the old 940s just sounded hollow in comparison when I picked them back up, almost distant, and not in the good soundstag-ey way.  Since I'd rather not blather on with a wall of text, here are some observations:
  1. Don't let the 'non-fatiguing treble' comment make you think these can't sizzle your eardrums if they're told to.  They might not be as bright as what I'm used to, but they still have a distinct edge, and can be less than polite to your head if you tell them to be.
  2. While I was told they're one of Noble's 'bassiest' units, I would not call the N5 anything even close to a basshead earphone.  Not even remotely.  The bass is very lush, very layered, and doesn't seem to overpower anything at all.  It's definitely warm, but in the controlled and impactful way.
  3. OHMYGAWD, I wish everything I owned had one of these cables.  Think you guys could source about 500 feet of the stuff for bulk sale?  It's so soft and cuddly.
  4. In terms of music, they REALLY excel with my ever-expanding collection of epic score, which is perfect.  Deep, pounding percussion, lush orchestras, and ambient vocals and winds.  I think "lush" is the keyword in that sentence, as it really describes the sort of mid-lower bass emphasis of these.  The metal collection came across as a bit more edgy, for lack of a better word - definitely not harsh, but much more in-your-face; definitely more musical and lively than what I'm used to again.
UPDATES:
  1. These are absolutely unforgiving to poorly mastered/recorded/compressed tracks.  Not a bad thing, just making a statement.  There's just enough of a spike right around 4K (did I read that somewhere else, too?) that will make a sibilant voice, or cymbals for that matter, really poke at you... the latter is fine, but the former might get a bit annoying for some people.  I suppose the 'headspace' with a pair of circumaurals might help with this a bit, but with these, you get exactly what is in the recording piped directly into your head.  I have no problem with that at all.

I'll leave you guys with that short little pseudo-review, mostly because I've important work that needs done before midnight, but I'll be sure to add any other thoughts that pop up while I listen to these.  My thanks again to Wizard and the folks for producing an excellent little product, and to Brannan for the outstanding support!  I see a pair of K10s in the future... maybe not the near future, but definitely in the future.  I'll drop off some better pictures, too, if anyone wants them!

Glad I went with these instead of a pair of Fostex TH600s.  I think you have a newly converted follower here in IEMLand.

Sep 22, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #5,559 of 36,116
  They're here!

I'm not seeing enough love for the N5's around here.  Or universals for that matter.  Let's see if we can't fix that. 
wink_face.gif

First of all, my thanks for the fast shipping - I was told my pair was finished on Friday, and they were shipped to the opposite side of the country by two-day air and I had them by noon today.  Much appreciated!

I have to apologize for the unimpressive quality of that photo - it's the best I could muster with my phone (the D3200 didn't come to the university with me this time), and a few sheets of paper plus one xenon flashlight as diffuse lighting... they look a lot more stunning in person.  Love the wood - unique, yet classy and professional enough that I'd be glad to wear them just about anywhere.

It was an interesting ride when I first heard these.  Coming directly from strictly circumaural headphones, the in-your-head sound of an IEM really sort of caught me off-guard more so than I expected... after finding an acceptable set of eartips (I would like to find something deeper than Noble's kit, probably some sort of tri-flange... I must have abnormally shaped ear canals, as I just can't get anything to stick in my right ear), I listened for a while, and I'd say my head must have done the burning in this time, because I'm really starting to love these!

Coming from a pair of SRH-940s (quite the jump, isn't it?), I was afraid at first that the warmer N5's would be a bit too far in the opposite end of the spectrum, so to speak, but that isn't the case at all.  I'm finding them very musical and most importantly very enjoyable to listen to, much more so than the cold and analytical signature I'm used to.  I wouldn't call them neutral... maybe a bit of a V if anything, though that's an opinion coming from the least qualified person you've ever met.  I haven't put the things down all day, and while I know it isn't exactly a fair comparison, the old 940s just sounded hollow in comparison when I picked them back up, almost distant, and not in the good soundstag-ey way.  Since I'd rather not blather on with a wall of text, here are some observations:
  1. Don't let the 'non-fatiguing treble' comment make you think these can't sizzle your eardrums if they're told to.  They might not be as bright as what I'm used to, but they still have a distinct edge, and can be less than polite to your head if you tell them to be.
  2. While I was told they're one of Noble's 'bassiest' units, I would not call the N5 anything even close to a basshead earphone.  Not even remotely.  The bass is very lush, very layered, and doesn't seem to overpower anything at all.  It's definitely warm, but in the controlled and impactful way.
  3. OHMYGAWD, I wish everything I owned had one of these cables.  Think you guys could source about 500 feet of the stuff for bulk sale?  It's so soft and cuddly.
  4. In terms of music, they REALLY excel with my ever-expanding collection of epic score, which is perfect.  Deep, pounding percussion, lush orchestras, and ambient vocals and winds.  I think "lush" is the keyword in that sentence, as it really describes the sort of mid-lower bass emphasis of these.  The metal collection came across as a bit more edgy, for lack of a better word - definitely not harsh, but much more in-your-face; definitely more musical and lively than what I'm used to again.

I'll leave you guys with that short little pseudo-review, mostly because I've important work that needs done before midnight, but I'll be sure to add any other thoughts that pop up while I listen to these.  My thanks again to Wizard and the folks for producing an excellent little product, and to Brannan for the outstanding support!  I see a pair of K10s in the future... maybe not the near future, but definitely in the future.  I'll drop off some better pictures, too, if anyone wants them!

Glad I went with these instead of a pair of Fostex TH600s.  I think you have a newly converted follower here in IEMLand.

Congrats!! Nice review / impressions too - thank you!

Sep 23, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #5,563 of 36,116

Wow, they are beauties - I'm always a sucker for the Wizard's wood (as it were)...

Nice review too.

wink_face.gif

Yep, I'm really liking them.  Not exactly an analytical review, but I figure it got the point across.   The only quirk I've noticed so far was my being stabbed in the head by a flute in one song that apparently had a massive sibilant peak right around 4K, and I bet that will clear up quite a bit once I find a good match in ear.  Other than that, they're very lively and engaging, very musical, and nothing like the sterile sound I was used to; I can see a lot of people really liking that, and also maybe a few who would prefer a more neutral sound, but I'm definitely one of the former.

Sep 23, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #5,565 of 36,116
Just ordered a pair of 3C !

... I almost feel miserable to go for the low-end with no customization, all clear acrylic... I just hope they will receive the same attention and care as the beautiful gold-plated high-end ones I've seen in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back