Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Apr 25, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #3,768 of 36,055

Brannan working his mojo at Axpona..

Terrible show, no Kaiser Soze shirt.
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 26, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #3,771 of 36,055

Thank you Wizard! Brannan! and Nancy ;)

Apr 26, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #3,774 of 36,055
So I heard a few of these and the 4 was really good for the money. Pretty balanced. Just a hair lean in the mids and a touch extra sparkle on top. Nothing that calls attention to itself and nicely detailed and musical. Overall balance was VG and great for a single twfk handling the upper ranges. Very 'clean' sounding without getting too sterile. The 8 had a little too much fill for me but a sound many favor. The 10 was just great. Perhaps a little more note thickness than is my personal flavor (hard to be sure under the conditions and being universal) but genuinely an exceptional device that really fleshes out the music. I couldn't see anyone being anything but happy about owning them.
bigsmile_face.gif

I'll try and listen a bit more today with my own source music. Want to hear some of the universals and the 6 which is supposedly in the more neutral sig category that appeals to me. This was a quick listen with some Bill Evens on the demo device. At least it was music I've heard before. I'm unfamiliar with the AK240 feeding a Hugo that was used so my impressions should be taken with a grain but I doubt that hurt matters.

The cable on all of them seemed a step above what's given by other makers and the build was great/beautiful on all models.

Apr 26, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #3,775 of 36,055
  I would love to try the Hugo with my K10 but whenever I consider it I'm reminded of the advice my dad gave me when he came home in his first Audi: "My son; never test drive a car you can't afford." For now, I'm driving the K10 with my DX90/PB2 (topkit) combo. Complete and utter bliss, but at an almost sane price. 

I usually live (and die) by the creed "By The Best And Only Cry Once" but there's a bit more to it with headphones: First you need to find out which headphone is the best for you. I've heard the almighty Stax SR-009, the $5000 flagship that requires a $5000 flagship amp. Female vocals were spine-tinglingly amazing but when I put on Daft Punk or Rammstein, they left me wanting. For much of my music I preferred the LCD 2 v2 from a solid state amp, but with some things the HD800 on a nice Woo tube amp was just the thing. 

The best advice I can give is to try as many headphones as you can. By them used, try them out, then sell with little to no loss. Each time you find out what each  headphone does well and where it's lacking. Then you can start zeroing in on The One as you become more and more aware of your personal preferences. At some point you will either stumble into Aural Nirvana or realize that you need that $2000 Flagship X mk II in your life and start saving up. And while you're saving up, read as many reviews as you can of Flagship X mk II. When you find a particularly good review, then start reading the other reviews written by that person, to see if you even hear things the same way. Lots and lots of classic music buffs praise the HD800 as The Second Coming, but that doesn't really help me as a Rammstein fan, does it?

There is no such thing as The Best Headphone - only The Best Headphone For You.

I actually prefer older low voltage Stax models with more rear damping for music that boogies as well. In some ways they are better all around products than the more ethereal sounding later units.

Apr 26, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #3,776 of 36,055
I actually prefer older low voltage Stax models with more rear damping for music that boogies as well. In some ways they are better all around products than the more ethereal sounding later units.

I haven't heard the STAX TOTL model but I absolutely love their entry offering, I think it is the SRS 2170 combo. After K10 and a new DAP ( my friend used X3, hes upgrading to a X5 or DX90), that combo will be my next purchase!

Apr 26, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #3,780 of 36,055

Can't take my eyes off them! This makes my other CIEMs look cheap :D.
Also the fit is perfect. and the sound is right at the centre of my head :wink: Don't know how Noble did it because all my other CIEMs seem to have a sound slightly shifted to the left (~5-7%), I keep thinking maybe I just have different hearing for my left and right ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back