Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
May 6, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #10,381 of 36,082

Why? Just carry those Focal Grand Utopia's around, at least that looks like their flagship model in your avatar.

Sadly they are my dad's and it's in Korea...
Are you in London? Where or how did you place your order?

I just ordered it online via the website and paid through Paypal. (I am in London)

May 6, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #10,383 of 36,082
Thanks for the reply.

What's the url of the website? How are you sending your ear impressions? If it's ciem you ordered.

http://nobleaudio.co.uk/en/shop/custom/

I ordered customs, and I am having my ear impressions done by Dr Flower (she deals directly with Noble) and she will ship them off to the US.

May 6, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #10,384 of 36,082
May 6, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #10,387 of 36,082
It definitely is a long, agonizing wait, its been 2 months since i ordered mine. Checking out potential cable and source upgrades has helped to ease the pain
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #10,388 of 36,082
anyone have suggestions for a sturdy replacement cable that doesn't have a severe microphonics issue?

couldn't stand the stock cable so went to a BTG Starlight - nice cable but the sleeve was horrible for walking. jumped to a Linum BaX but it just broke on me after a week of use. would like to find something like it but sturdier and for about the same price.

thank ya thank ya.

May 6, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #10,390 of 36,082
Well, there's the "Prestige" cable that Noble offers, which is their thin version. I've not tried it, but someone else might be able to chime in on its strength.

I have the ultra-thin cable, which is very easy to use and not at all microphonic, but it's not strong as it has a low pull strength. If you're looking for a cable that just gets out of the way (it's so thin and light weight) and you're not going to pull on it then this is the cable for you. However, if you're wanting something that will handle a lot of hard pulls then this is not. I believe Dr. John said the pull strength of the black stock cables is something like 150 lbs, while the ultra-thin is only around 10 lbs. Cheers 

May 6, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #10,391 of 36,082
  anyone have suggestions for a sturdy replacement cable that doesn't have a severe microphonics issue?

couldn't stand the stock cable so went to a BTG Starlight - nice cable but the sleeve was horrible for walking. jumped to a Linum BaX but it just broke on me after a week of use. would like to find something like it but sturdier and for about the same price.

thank ya thank ya.

They're expensive and take a very long time from order to receipt, but I've had luck with DHC and Whiplash 4 strand cables.  Microphonics are minimized due to the great flexibility these cables have.  Maybe not as noise free as the new ultra thin cables out now, but they address the durability issues pretty well.  IMO

May 6, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #10,393 of 36,082
Well, there's the "Prestige" cable that Noble offers, which is their thin version. I've not tried it, but someone else might be able to chime in on its strength.

I have the ultra-thin cable, which is very easy to use and not at all microphonic, but it's not strong as it has a low pull strength. If you're looking for a cable that just gets out of the way (it's so thin and light weight) and you're not going to pull on it then this is the cable for you. However, if you're wanting something that will handle a lot of hard pulls then this is not. I believe Dr. John said the pull strength of the black stock cables is something like 150 lbs, while the ultra-thin is only around 10 lbs. Cheers 

They're expensive and take a very long time from order to receipt, but I've had luck with DHC and Whiplash 4 strand cables.  Microphonics are minimized due to the great flexibility these cables have.  Maybe not as noise free as the new ultra thin cables out now, but they address the durability issues pretty well.  IMO

Thanks for the responses!

Thinking the Ultra-thin Noble might not be the way to go - I snapped the Linum when I grabbed my sunglasses that fell out of my hand - not sure what got tangled where but I pulled the right lead apart with the force of my hand dropping to grab the sunglasses.

Will look into the DHCs - been eyeing those for a while. Didn't realize I was going to have such issues being a mobile user. :)

May 6, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #10,394 of 36,082
also check out norne audio cables. Ergonomically they are the best I've tried. Much more flexible and comfortable than twag, toxic cables, or moon audio. Sound is on par with the whiplash v3

Quote:

Thanks for the responses!

Thinking the Ultra-thin Noble might not be the way to go - I snapped the Linum when I grabbed my sunglasses that fell out of my hand - not sure what got tangled where but I pulled the right lead apart with the force of my hand dropping to grab the sunglasses.

Will look into the DHCs - been eyeing those for a while. Didn't realize I was going to have such issues being a mobile user. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back