Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Oct 11, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #5,807 of 36,064
Been a while since you guys had a new lot of Wizard IEM's.
beerchug.gif

Oct 11, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #5,812 of 36,064
Auditioned the K10 universal and Noble 6 yesterday at CanJam.  The 6's were wonderful; wider, fuller soundstage than my Shure 535s (which include dif dampers and a nice Oiyade HPC cable), more substantial low-end without being flabby or bloated.  I liked them a lot, even if the fit was kinda hard on my ears.  

The universal K10s, on the other hand, strangely fit better in my ears--might have been something strange with the tips.  Anyway, it was hard to put down the K10s.  I've never heard such a wide sound stage nor definition like that in an IEM.  Probably sat there for 10 minutes hitting the most demanding parts of my 78-track audition playlist and was simply stunned.  I think someone snapped a photo or video of me mouthing silent expletives as I sat there listening to these IEMs.  There's an effortless quality to the sound that suggested I could easily fall asleep while listening...zero fatigue or harshness on even the most dynamic rock and classical in my playlist.  And my go-to track, the K2HD-mastered version of Dave Brubeck's "Strange Meadowlark," sounded as live and real as it does on my home 2-ch rig.

I'm glad to have two more days to check these out again at the show.  

Oct 11, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #5,813 of 36,064
  Auditioned the K10 universal and Noble 6 yesterday at CanJam.  The 6's were wonderful; wider, fuller soundstage than my Shure 535s (which include dif dampers and a nice Oiyade HPC cable), more substantial low-end without being flabby or bloated.  I liked them a lot, even if the fit was kinda hard on my ears.  

The universal K10s, on the other hand, strangely fit better in my ears--might have been something strange with the tips.  Anyway, it was hard to put down the K10s.  I've never heard such a wide sound stage nor definition like that in an IEM.  Probably sat there for 10 minutes hitting the most demanding parts of my 78-track audition playlist and was simply stunned.  I think someone snapped a photo or video of me mouthing silent expletives as I sat there listening to these IEMs.  There's an effortless quality to the sound that suggested I could easily fall asleep while listening...zero fatigue or harshness on even the most dynamic rock and classical in my playlist.  And my go-to track, the K2HD-mastered version of Dave Brubeck's "Strange Meadowlark," sounded as live and real as it does on my home 2-ch rig.

I'm glad to have two more days to check these out again at the show.  

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Oct 12, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #5,815 of 36,064
Had a great time at CanJam@RMAF today. Shout out to Brannan who was keeping on top of everything at the Noble booth! I spent about an hour hanging out and listening to literally every product Noble has available, from the 3 up through the universal K10, and everything in between.

My favorite part was that I got to hear the K10 out ofthe Chord Hugo, and that was better than I ever could have imagined. Well, favorite audio related experience -- I had some good conversations with Brannan and David, I believe, who was manning the booth with him (sorry if I get that wrong; I am terrible with names!), and those were also very great for me.

Now that I have finally heard the 6, looks like there will be a 6S heading my way in the near future. It is a different tuning than the K10, and it is fantastic in its own right. Slightly more bass, slightly less treble, but still very musical and insanely listenable. I can see why this was previously the universal flagship -- it certainly sounds the part.

I was also able to compare the universal K10 to my custom fit version (one of the first people outside of Noble to do so, I am sure). Don't have any worries -- the K10U is every bit as good as the custom fit. Nothing is amiss, and Noble managed to capture every bit of the magic from the custom version in the universal model. Definite kudos for that! I was a little bit concerned that they wouldn't be able to fit all of the sound that I love in such a small package, but they succeeded beyond my wildest expectations. I will expand upon that last bit -- the K10U is freaking tiny. No idea how they fit all 10 drivers in that tiny shell, but they have really done something special. As a comparison, they are smaller than my SE846, and are half to a third the size of the Roxanne universals. Do not be concerned with how big they would be -- instead, worry about losing them as they are really that small!

Sound wise, the K10U had just the slightest bit less bass. I don't agree with Darin's assessment -- there wasn't really any more treble, simply a little bit less bass than my custom fit version. A note on the bass -- make sure you get a tight and well fitting seal, or it will seem much more bass light than it really is. I prefer foam tips, but didn't have any on hand, so can't give an assessment on that front. I suspect that I wouldn't have had to hold the K10Us in my ears with my hands to get the deaired bass had I had some different tips. Just a quirk of my anatomy (Brannan can testify to the giant size of my ears), and why I prefer custom fits.

I was also able to finally share the sound of my K10s with my two friends who were with me. They had seen mmy K10s in my ears at work and were finally able to understand why I love them so much.

Oct 12, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #5,816 of 36,064
Am i the only one who has noticed that the pricing for the K10 customs and K10 universals are the same.

One would think that the universals would be 100-200 dollars cheaper considering the increased scale of production.

Oct 12, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #5,817 of 36,064
Am i the only one who has noticed that the pricing for the K10 customs and K10 universals are the same.

One would think that the universals would be 100-200 dollars cheaper considering the increased scale of production.

+1 I wonder if there will be a customisation option for universal version..

Oct 12, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #5,818 of 36,064

Currently all universal K10's being offered are hand finished Wizard IEMs

Meaning they are all 

1) sanded
2) curves are "rounded" giving the shell a more organic look and feel
3) all injection molded seems are removed
4) gaps between the face plate and shell are filled, making a seemless transition from the face plate to shell
5) fine glitter is applied
6) lacquere is applied
7) "Wizard" signature is laser engraved into the shell
8) Gold plated screws are applied

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Oct 12, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #5,819 of 36,064
I can certainly appreciate the additional work that goes into it compared to the roxanne, which is just a simple acrylic shell..

Having said that, a custom is a custom. It is specially made for that someone. For a K10 custom, i can add wood face plates, a disgusting amount of gold flakes, and multi coloured shells etc, all this in addition to the usual high standards given to the universal version. 

Perhaps i am misinformed about the process, and that the universals require additional processes compared to the customs and thus increasing its cost to the custom's level despite the lack of customization and options available.

But yeah, just seems odd, and its honestly the main reason im not putting down a pre-order as im now unsure if customs or universal is the way to go.

Oct 12, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #5,820 of 36,064
he custom's level despite the lack of customization and options available.
But yeah, just seems odd, and its honestly the main reason im not putting down a pre-order as im now unsure if customs or universal is the way to go.

Depends on if you want to take the extra steps in getting impressions done, sending them off and hope the fit is ok on the way back.

The universals are for those who want a quicker turn around or can't be bothered getting impressions done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back