Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Oct 7, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #5,731 of 36,064
Beautiful.  Man, I could see why I didn't get the hookup now... 
tongue_smile.gif

redface.gif

Oct 7, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #5,735 of 36,064
Not sure if anyone has both the K10 custom and the new K10 universal yet, but I do. (I think there must be others...)

Do I feel lucky? YES! Absolutely. Thank you Brannan. (Full disclosure, I have the K10 Universals on loan from Brannan. I did not purchase them.)

First, you can read my review of the K10 customs here:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/noble-audio-kaiser-10/reviews/10773

But I think the most interesting aspect is how does the sound compare between the customs and universals.

The form factor of the K10 Universal is the same as the other Wizard design Universals in that they use the Noble Universal shell as a basis with added acrylic coating over the shell. I love the form factor of the Noble Universals. The shells are amazingly small and super comfortable. I cannot believe there are really 10 drivers and all the electronics packed into such a small shell. Even the demo version of the K10 customs is a lot bigger. And then there's the Roxanne universal, which is monstrous by comparison. The K10 Universal doesn't stick out or look oversized. But if you've seen/tried any of the Noble universals, you already know how small they are and how well the fit.

When I first listened to the K10 Universals, I could tell immediately that they were K10's and not N6's or any of the other universal models. I recognized the "K10 sound" right away. (That's a good thing!)

When comparing to my K10 customs, the sound signature of the universals is slightly brighter. The bass is similar, maybe a hair less, but I think the universals have more highs, more air, and sound a little more open.

The universals isolate quite a bit less than the customs. Maybe that's just because the customs have so much more material sealing the ear. The universals don't really cover the ear other than the tips. No different than the other Noble universals, but much less isolation than the custom K10's.

With the custom K10's I always thought they had lots of detail and high frequencies, not fatiguing and sounded great. But after some side-by-side comparisons with much brighter headphones like the Stax 009's or HD800's, I could tell how much darker the K10's were. I never realized how much less high end there was in the K10. I still love the K10 customs and they work so well on everything. I can listen to them all day with all recordings

I actually prefer highs on the K10 universals. Much like the Stax 009's, even though there's more highs, the highs are super smooth and not harsh at all even on sub-par recordings.

So, do I like the universals better than my customs? Yes and no. I like my customs for the ease of use (getting a perfect seal every time), better isolation, slightly more bass (probably due to a better seal). But I like the highs on the universal better.

Technically, there should be no reason for the two versions of the K10's to sound different and I don't want to mislead people into thinking they are different sound signatures or different tunings, etc. The sound between the two is VERY close. They both have the perfect K10 sound that I love. So I wouldn't decide on the K10 Custom vs. the Universal based on the sound. I think it's more about the general pros and cons of customs vs. universals. They're the same price too if that makes the decision easier.

I need to experiment more with tip rolling to see what gives me the best seal. For now, I have tried the large red silicone tips and the double flange tips.

Regardless, you cannot go wrong with the K10's in either form. But now with the universal K10's, I can finally let others experience the best sounding IEM's I have ever heard. 

-Darin

Oct 8, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #5,739 of 36,064
  I am not impressed with those Prestige at all. Okay, who am I kidding, they are gorgeous. Wiz you need to start signing both pieces.

I agree... dangit.  Im not impressed with how gorgeous your work is with those breathtaking pieces of wood...
biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #5,740 of 36,064
wow those K10 with the new material design are AMAZING!

<3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back