Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Jun 26, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #4,787 of 36,071

Some facts about Amboyna:

Pterocarpus indicus is the botanical name for a tree that has inspired a wide variety of names and has been used in a wide variety of applications. In the United States, the tree is usually called Narra and sometimes further delineated as red Narra or yellow Narra or even orange Narra.The Narra that grows in southern and southeastern Asia is called Solomons Pradauk or Papua New Guinea rosewood. Narra also grows extensively in the Philippines, Borneo, New Guinea, Cagayan, Mindoro, Palawan, Cotabato and the Malay Archipelago. Its Malayan name is angsana. Narra has also been called kiabooco, meaning "twisted wood." The Narra found in African countries is known as "Paduak"
When in the burl form, Narra’s wood is usually referred to as Amboyna burl — that name coming from Amboyna Island, another place the trees can be found. In "Veneers, A Fritz Kohl Handbook," produced by the Fritz Kohl Veneer Mill in Germany, Amboyna burl is described as "one of the rarest and most expensive woods in the world," adding that "the burly part of the log is often very small." The scarcity of burl in the logs translates into rather high prices, as do its demand for use in high-end woodwork. According to the handbook’s authors, Amboyna burl is used for the "highest quality architectural woodwork" and that it was the first burl wood used for dashboards by Rolls Royce.
Ordinary Narra may not be as highly prized as the wood that comes from the burls, but it is still a beautiful wood in its own right that can yield a range of interesting figures. Experts believe these figures are formed from the existence of "terminal parenchyma" and irregularities in the woods. Parenchyma is the wood’s soft tissue that stores and distributes carbohydrates. Narra’s grain can be wavy, interlocked or crossed creating attractive figures such as mottle, fiddleback, ripple and curly.
Working with Amboyna can be a pleasure. The structural integrity of the wood makes it a joy to work. It handles turning well and also lends itself well to carving. Other uses are veneer work, small craft work, and furniture making.

That's just amazing... love the colors!

Jun 26, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #4,788 of 36,071
The K10s don't need much in terms of amplification, but the DX90 does drive them very well. As far as I'm aware, there is no Rockbox available for the DX90, at least not yet.

Great to hear. Looks like I can possibly get away with a smaller player as long as it supports uSD cards and rockbox.

Sounds like a good plan, I also don't like all the bulk of amps etc. But that's mostly because I am using my setup at work and I am moving around all the time. A DX90 and K10 would be a solid sounding combo.

While it seems disingenious to spend more money to go lighter, mobility rules for us.

Thats what im enjoying now.;P

rockboxed DX50 and K10 right? How does it sound? What's the battery life for you?

I think you've got it right for the most part. Haven't heard the 3C, but the 5C is a bass monster, definitely not for the feint of heart. 8C is more balanced for sure, but still has an undeniable emphasis on the low end. The K10 and 4C are fairly neutral, with the K10 (to my ears) coming across as slightly more musical (meaning slightly larger bass capabilities). They really are pretty similar in general character, though in ability the K10 far surpasses the 4C. So it depends on what your budget is - either one could probably make you happy but if you can afford the K10 then go for it.

I'm using it right now - brilliant. Hugo doesn't have any hiss for me, which is weird because I believe I've heard some complaints about that very issue. But for me, I get a silent background and exceptional sound, with plenty of room on the volume control for dialing in the right levels. Portable audio doesn't get much better than this in my experience. 

Thank you for the clarification on the sound signatures. My budget for this is still being worked so I'll just get the K10 when the time comes.

Jun 26, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #4,789 of 36,071
Ok, so I've looked at the picture of my K-10's like 700 times today . I woke up at 0500 , and there was a email from Duchess, saying my K-10's were done. I'm half asleep, I looked, and my first reaction was like, that's my Wizard design, didn't seem all that cool, I didn't even get all that excited about the design. But then, through out the day, I started to notice the colors, under better light. Kept looking at them, and now I'm hooked, I think they look fabulous. I rolled the dice, and Wizard nailed it. Great job to the Crew in China, Thanks Brannan, and of course the Brains behind it all,Mrs Wizard.

They are fantastic.

Jun 26, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #4,790 of 36,071
  I've gotta admit, I'm mixed about this. The greenie Aussie side of me is saying, "No, shouldn't be using rare woods for this". But the other side of me is saying, "Oh please let this be K10's".

This is just my opinion, but I don't think that it is the case that the "tree" is extremely rare, but it is the burl portion that is rare. If and when a burl does occur, it will only comprise a very small portion of the tree. Highly figured Amboyna burls are usually found in the roots of the tree (if found at all.)  Burls are essentially a "tumor" formed as a result of some type of an trauma to the tree, such as an insect infestation, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pterocarpus

Relatively speaking, Padauk might be considered rare when compared to the "Longleaf Yellow Pine" that grows like grass back home in Texas, and many other places as well.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Jun 26, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #4,791 of 36,071

This is just my opinion, but I don't think that it is the case that the "tree" is extremely rare, but it is the burl portion that is rare. If and when a burl does occur, it will only comprise a very small portion of the tree. Highly figured Amboyna burls are usually found in the roots of the tree (if found at all.)  Burls are essentially a "tumor" formed as a result of some type of an trauma to the tree, such as an insect infestation, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pterocarpus

Relatively speaking, Padauk might be considered rare when compared to the "Longleaf Yellow Pine" that grows like grass back home in Texas, and many other places as well.

I find it somewhat ironic that the most desirable things are born from the most undesirable thing: a defect. Imperfect perfection?

Jun 26, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #4,792 of 36,071
  Hi John, how does the K10/Hugo combination compare with using the K10 and a balanced amp/source? Thanks for your input.

It really depends on the system. I personally don't think balanced is inherently "better" than single ended across the board - but some devices sound better used one way or the other. For example, the BMC PureDAC sounded killer with the 8C when running from the balanced headphone out via Toxic Cables Silver Widow balanced cable. That device is not good through the regular 1/4" jack so there's no comparison. I didn't have the K10 yet back then but I imagine it would be similarly excellent.

So..... the moral of the story? If you have a Hugo and want to use it as a DAC only, driving a high-end stand alone amp, make sure to get something that doesn't demand balanced connection for best results. My Auralic Taurus and Violectric V200 don't much case which input I use, but my Firestone Bobby and Yulong A28 really sound best from XLR. So the Hugo wouldn't be a good match there. I hope that makes sense. 

Jun 26, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #4,793 of 36,071

It really depends on the system. I personally don't think balanced is inherently "better" than single ended across the board - but some devices sound better used one way or the other. For example, the BMC PureDAC sounded killer with the 8C when running from the balanced headphone out via Toxic Cables Silver Widow balanced cable. That device is not good through the regular 1/4" jack so there's no comparison. I didn't have the K10 yet back then but I imagine it would be similarly excellent.

So..... the moral of the story? If you have a Hugo and want to use it as a DAC only, driving a high-end stand alone amp, make sure to get something that doesn't demand balanced connection for best results. My Auralic Taurus and Violectric V200 don't much case which input I use, but my Firestone Bobby and Yulong A28 really sound best from XLR. So the Hugo wouldn't be a good match there. I hope that makes sense. 

Thanks for sharing. My experience with using the K10s balanced is limited to mostly a portable DAC/amp, not a desktop setup. So far is has been a bit hit or miss with me, in terms of noticing much of a sonic improvement. I briefly tried out my K10s hooked up directly to a Hugo/laptop setup, and was impressed. It would be interesting to try the Hugo again, but in combination with a portable DAC/balanced amp, to see how much a difference it makes.

Jun 29, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #4,796 of 36,071
K-10's have cleared customs, delivery set for tomorrow. Got the day off, my AK-240 eagerly awaits there arrival.

BTW, where does Noble ship from?

Jun 30, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #4,799 of 36,071
  We are getting ready... you already know.

What? What does it supposed to mean? Another sales period? No way man, my wallet is still in the coma
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back