Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Apr 23, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #3,722 of 36,066
I received a DX90 yesterday, and my initial impression is pretty good with the DX90/K10. After a few more days or so I'll share more. I've also got the X5 tour unit coming my way in a week or so. I'll be sure to be having a fight to the death K10/X5/DX90 brawl and report my findings. Hi-Fi M8 might be here soon to participate as well.

One thing I can say, the DX90 is certainly a step up from the iPod touch 5g with the K10. The iPod upper mid/treble is less refined, a little "shreddy" sounding by comparison. DX90 layering/overall smoothness is much better. FWIW, I didn't like DX50 at all, chose the touch over it. So the DX90 is, by my estimation, seeming a few notches up from DX50. To my ears and preferences of course.

I find the use of low gain/mid gain on the DX90/K10 can tweak the signature a bit to fit a certain recording. Low gain, a bit on the lean side, and mid gain adds a bit of note weight/body.

Appreciate the share man. Coming from a Sansa clip zip, I hope the DX90 or X5 will be a worth it upgrade for the price. Marginal improvements just doesn't cut it for me. I'm hearing conflicting impressions though, DX90 warmer than X5, X5 warmer than DX90. DX90 more laid back, X5 more laid back. Either way, I hope either one will justify the price difference from a clipzip/amp purchase.

When I demo-ed the K10, adding the E12 amp to the clip zip made the sound a whole lot better. I could just get a new amp, + clipzip, which will save me a fair bit, at the expense of portability, or if the two sounds much better and can drive the K10 well without an amp (portability), then it is decisions decisions.

Logical brain says to enjoy the current DAP, upgrade when needed. Emotional brain says -> BUY. Wallet says "No."

That said, I've got an email saying my K10 will be done on the 5th of May!! Now everyday feels like eternity.

Apr 23, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #3,723 of 36,066

Chord have had a interesting email from a very well known UK hi-fi magazine who have just started their technical measurements on Hugo. The message said: "You have just broken all records with Hugo... Hugo manages the highest Dynamic Range ever - by a big margin".

https://www.facebook.com/chordelectronicshugo?fref=nf

Over the next few days I will be posting photo's & updates from Axpona Hi-Fi Show.... featuring the Noble range & the Hugo (& my superb Sony ZX1)

Apr 23, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #3,724 of 36,066
Chord have had a interesting email from a very well known UK hi-fi magazine who have just started their technical measurements on Hugo. The message said: "You have just broken all records with Hugo... Hugo manages the highest Dynamic Range ever - by a big margin".

https://www.facebook.com/chordelectronicshugo?fref=nf

Over the next few days I will be posting photo's & updates from Axpona Hi-Fi Show.... featuring the Noble range & the Hugo (& my superb Sony ZX1)

Will you be there at the Axpona show? If so, I may have to let you listen to my AK-240. You may forget about your love affair, with the sony.

Apr 23, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #3,725 of 36,066
it's really not about the DAP's... the ZX1 will be used as well as a Laptop, iPad & the AK240... they are all being used as sources into the Hugo.

I will not be at Axpona unfortunately but our resident superstar Brannan will... Noble & the Hugo are the stars, the sources are of secondary importance.

ps... I've had a love-affair with Walkman's since the 80's, at the end of the day it's all about flavours when it comes to SQ.

Apr 23, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #3,726 of 36,066
   the sources are of secondary importance.

I guess nobody told these guys
tongue.gif
:

Apr 23, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #3,734 of 36,066
I won't be able to make Axpona, but I'm certainly going to be at the Denver show, complete with my Wizard K10s and my wife's 4C.  Looking forward to meeting in person!  Also, I might just end up buying a Hugo.  Need to hear it first, though. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back