Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Apr 22, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #3,707 of 36,093
Well I was expecting something else, but guess that means my guess was right..?
biggrin.gif

Anyone got an X5 or DX90 want to share their thoughts?
I know Soren is loving the DX90 but I'm also curious to the X5.

Thanks.

I have an X5 (but no experience of the DX90) & my only point of comparison is a diyMod (with a JDS Labs C5). Everyone seems to love the X5 on it's thread, but I'm not so sure. It's certainly a detail digger, but to me the soundstage is very flat & 2D with little front-to-back depth & makes complex music sound cluttered & messy - almost as if having unearthed so much detail it doesn't quite know how to deal with it.

The real annoyance for me though is the upper-mid/treble presentation which has a clinical, metallic quality to it (like the early days of cd) that's resistant to any EQ (which I hate doing anyway).

By comparison my diyMod is noticeably less detailed, but has a very layered & lush 3D sound which just feels more realistic.

Earphones are N4's btw.

Apr 22, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #3,708 of 36,093
Well I was expecting something else, but guess that means my guess was right..? :D

Anyone got an X5 or DX90 want to share their thoughts?
I know Soren is loving the DX90 but I'm also curious to the X5.

Thanks.

Really curious about the DX90 vs X5 too, for K10 that is.

I received a DX90 yesterday, and my initial impression is pretty good with the DX90/K10. After a few more days or so I'll share more. I've also got the X5 tour unit coming my way in a week or so. I'll be sure to be having a fight to the death K10/X5/DX90 brawl and report my findings. Hi-Fi M8 might be here soon to participate as well.

One thing I can say, the DX90 is certainly a step up from the iPod touch 5g with the K10. The iPod upper mid/treble is less refined, a little "shreddy" sounding by comparison. DX90 layering/overall smoothness is much better. FWIW, I didn't like DX50 at all, chose the touch over it. So the DX90 is, by my estimation, seeming a few notches up from DX50. To my ears and preferences of course.

I find the use of low gain/mid gain on the DX90/K10 can tweak the signature a bit to fit a certain recording. Low gain, a bit on the lean side, and mid gain adds a bit of note weight/body.

Apr 22, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #3,712 of 36,093
I tried to keep my review of the FR objective and without hype, but I just had the urge to gush about how great it sounds. Spent the weekend in another city and traveling and it did an amazing job of keeping me entertained paired with the AK240.

Apr 22, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #3,713 of 36,093
I am also curious about Soren' ! 
biggrin.gif

Not sure what to think of this..................
eek.gif

Everyone seems to love the X5 on it's thread, but I'm not so sure. It's certainly a detail digger, but to me the soundstage is very flat & 2D with little front-to-back depth & makes complex music sound cluttered & messy - almost as if having unearthed so much detail it doesn't quite know how to deal with it.

The real annoyance for me though is the upper-mid/treble presentation which has a clinical, metallic quality to it (like the early days of cd) that's resistant to any EQ (which I hate doing anyway).

Thanks for your thoughts.

I'll be sure to be having a fight to the death K10/X5/DX90 brawl and report my findings. Hi-Fi M8 might be here soon to participate as well.
FWIW, I didn't like DX50 at all, chose the touch over it. So the DX90 is, by my estimation, seeming a few notches up from DX50. To my ears and preferences of course.

I find the use of low gain/mid gain on the DX90/K10 can tweak the signature a bit to fit a certain recording. Low gain, a bit on the lean side, and mid gain adds a bit of note weight/body.

I really like the DX50 so look forward to more impressions and this brawl, I'm leaning towards getting the 90 as I find the X5 a little ugly but it's all about the sound lol
BTW you seem to have been waiting an awfully long time on this M8 though!?

did y'all miss me ?

Didn't even know you went anywhere............?

Apr 22, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #3,715 of 36,093
noble should send Joker a K10 and have him audition it - this seems like a great iem

Apr 23, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #3,719 of 36,093
Hello! I'm alive!

Been testing the K10 with several cables, and here are my preferences:

3. DHC Hybrid Silver/Copper
Beautiful combo, very lush and smooth for any type of music.

2. Null Audio Hybrid Silver/Copper
Amps the DHC levels to crazytown

1. Null Audio Silver
Detail monsters. Bass is tighter and faster.

Apr 23, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #3,720 of 36,093
My DX90 has clocked ~170 hours right now. I must say I'm very, very impressed. The amp section is a massive step up from the DX50: No more hiss, gobs of power and authority. I will no longer be packing an amp when I'm out and about, there's no need. At my desk, there are still some gains from adding my PB2 balanced amp (upgraded with 1678 opamps and HA5002 buffers) but I must admit that they're a lot more subtle now. Yes, the built-in amp of a pocketable DAP is edging closer to an upgraded balanced amp. This should not be possible, not at this price level at least. 

But the stars of the show are the dual DACs. The new Sabre ESS 9018K2M chips are absolute monsters - they will dig deep into the recording and reveal EVERYTHING. Every fret of the strings, every breath, every singer whetting his lips and every tiny little spatial clue in the recording. Honestly. Somehow they manage to do this and still sound musical. And they are fast... So, so fast and resolving, it's impossible to listen to Tool without tapping my feet. And by tapping my feet I mean air-drumming like a madman, much to the amusement of my wife and co-workers. 

Pros: All of the above and it fits in your pocket. Runs on standard Samsung Galaxy S3 batteries. Powerful headphone output, crisp and clear lineout. AND digital out (coax).
Cons: Battery life. Those Sabres need to be fed, so pack extra batteries if you'll be away from your standard micro-USB charger for more than 7 hours.

Bonus: Ibasso will soon release the driver needed to use the DX90 as a USB DAC & Amp, making this basically the greatest all-in-one unit ever. The DX50 is still better value-for-money though. 

The DX90 is currently sold out from Ibasso, meaning that the initial 1000 units were sold in less than a week. Once they have the parts to build more, they'll be back on sale for $419. A hefty chunk of money for sane people, crazy good value for audiophiles. Go buy one, your Noble IEMs deserve it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back