Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Aug 3, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #35,386 of 36,135
Just a random question - are there any tuning difference between Ronin and Nodachi? Seems they shared the same driver configuration?

Aug 3, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #35,387 of 36,135
Just a random question - are there any tuning difference between Ronin and Nodachi? Seems they shared the same driver configuration?

They are not the same, that said I have considered offering Nodachi beyond Korea.

The problem is, as a business we can't roll out new designs frequently as our distributors need to sell through their inventory. Also, time must be allowed for marketing efforts to take effect etc etc.

That said, if we build exclusive short runs for particular distributors/markets we can roll out different products at a different pace.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Aug 3, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #35,388 of 36,135
IMG_4453.jpeg

I started comparing the Noble Viking Ragnar against my now very old Noble Khan. The Khan is a little brighter and has a little less midrange volume compared to the Viking Ragnar. However, however... This wasn't as a dramatic difference as I was expecting. This was a little bit of a surprise to me. I had noted earlier that the 64 Audio Fourte Blanc was attempting to accomplish similar sound characteristics and design objectives in my opinion as the Viking Ragnar. It doesn't accomplish this with the same level of competence. Going back further back to the Noble Khan I was thinking these are not that different the Khan and Ragnar. Ragnar has a bit more midrange, but why are these two IEMs a little more difficult to distinguish from each other? I had to find some frequency graphs to see if I am just loosing the ability to hear these differences. Well, I don't read graphs, but these look a lot more similar than different to me. So it was inevitable that I would like the Viking Ragnar, I've been listening to its older brother for years. The improvement in the midrange is very welcome in the Ragnar. This subtle uplift obviously gives the more evenness in the midrange. The Khan also has a little more detail in the treble, but it has crossed over into sibilant for most of my poorly recorded music.

2023-08-03_08-46-14.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #35,389 of 36,135
IMG_4453.jpeg

I started comparing the Noble Viking Ragnar against my now very old Noble Khan. The Khan is a little brighter and has a little less midrange volume compared to the Viking Ragnar. However, however... This wasn't as a dramatic difference as I was expecting. This was a little bit of a surprise to me. I had noted earlier that the 64 Audio Fourte Blanc was attempting to accomplish similar sound characteristics and design objectives in my opinion as the Viking Ragnar. It doesn't accomplish this with the same level of competence. Going back further back to the Noble Khan I was thinking these are not that different the Khan and Ragnar. Ragnar has a bit more midrange, but why are these two IEMs a little more difficult to distinguish from each other? I had to find some frequency graphs to see if I am just loosing the ability to hear these differences. Well, I don't read graphs, but these look a lot more similar than different to me. So it was inevitable that I would like the Viking Ragnar, I've been listening to its older brother for years. The improvement in the midrange is very welcome in the Ragnar. This subtle uplift obviously gives the more evenness in the midrange. The Khan also has a little more detail in the treble, but it has crossed over into sibilant for most of my poorly recorded music.

1691078812352.png
I’ve put quite a few enjoyable hours in with the Khan this summer by the pool. ipod touch > mojo2 > khan. Using roon arc with a 3db bass shelf courtesy of muse.

Aug 3, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #35,390 of 36,135
The short version: Ronin is my favourite but I couldn't get Nodachi out of my ears fast enough.

drftr

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #35,391 of 36,135
I’ve put quite a few enjoyable hours in with the Khan this summer by the pool. ipod touch > mojo2 > khan. Using roon arc with a 3db bass shelf courtesy of muse.
Evidently, it isn't obsolete, not in comparisons to the much discussed Viking Ragnar. It might be the hidden gem in the used market. You just have to fine tune it with the right cable since the original cable it came with was......... not refine.

Switching to the graphine wire of the Ragnar makes the comparison even harder to distinguish. I think it looses a bit of that extreme high frequency detail. For better or worse. I am using a Wagnus wire that just brings out all the details. The struggle is to make the Khan sound perfectly natural.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #35,392 of 36,135
The short version: Ronin is my favourite but I couldn't get Nodachi out of my ears fast enough.

drftr
Nodachi made specifically for the Korean market? I still don't like Japanese market targeted audio gear.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #35,393 of 36,135
Nodachi made for the Korean market? I still don't like Japanese market targeted audio gear.
Correct. It's just a very different tuning than I expected. I was impressed by it being so lightweight! They look beautiful too. Not sure if that was part of the deal @FullCircle? I assume specials are largely made based on shared goals from Noble and their main dealers in that specific market?

drftr

Aug 3, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #35,394 of 36,135
Correct. It's just a very different tuning than I expected. I was impressed by it being so lightweight! They look beautiful too. Not sure if that was part of the deal @FullCircle? I assume specials are largely made based on shared goals from Noble and their main dealers in that specific market?

drftr

The scenario is usually a distributor will request a product that they feel will fit their market needs & we build accordingly. Obviously their are some details such as exclusivity, duration of the exclusivity, art/physical design, features / details that are agreed on etc.

The Stage 3 is in some ways is an example of this type of calibration. The Stage 3 came to life due to our Koreans distributor request for a such a product.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Aug 3, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #35,395 of 36,135
They are not the same, that said I have considered offering Nodachi beyond Korea.

The problem is, as a business we can't roll out new designs frequently as our distributors need to sell through their inventory. Also, time must be allowed for marketing efforts to take effect etc etc.

That said, if we build exclusive short runs for particular distributors/markets we can roll out different products at a different pace.
Thanks John 😊 look forward to the future availability in the markets outside Korea, I like the ”野太刀” logo a lot!

drftr

Thanks @drftr, so sonically May I know what’s the tuning difference between the two sets? As seems they are both 8BAs + 4ESTs driver configuration.

Aug 4, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #35,396 of 36,135
Thanks John 😊 look forward to the future availability in the markets outside Korea, I like the ”野太刀” logo a lot!

Thanks @drftr, so sonically May I know what’s the tuning difference between the two sets? As seems they are both 8BAs + 4ESTs driver configuration.
See my notes here where I touch upon 2 South Korean market specials. It was also the first shop I came across the Sultan that managed to take over my soul during my 3 demo sessions.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...ge-all-welcome.957426/page-2580#post-17209240

J

Aug 7, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #35,397 of 36,135
Just a plug for Ronin with stock cable. I know people are cable rolling but right now I am just blown away by the combination of full, natural note weight, sound stage, layering and detail offered by the stock package. This is through the RS8...

Aug 7, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #35,400 of 36,135
IMG_4453.jpeg

2023-08-03_08-46-14.jpg
Did you get a chance to try the Noble Viking which came out a whilst back? I heard the Ragnor and I felt the Viking was the best product Noble came out with. It's hard to beat this no matter what they bring out now.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back