Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Mar 29, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #34,789 of 36,064
Very difficult question: who can tell me the differences (if you have had the opportunity to listen to them and not based on the graphs....) between Ragnar and Storm?

Thank.
I have demoed both; the last one with 5 different cables to try to get it to work for me.

Both lack in sub and mid bass for me, and this comes from a bass hater (quantity-wise). Both are missing weight and impact in my book. On an absolute level the quality of Ragnar's bass is very good and with great timbre. Relatively speaking Storm has some of the best BA bass. Storm's mid bass sounded unnatural to me, which is weird for mid bass.

I found Ragnar too lean in the mids and (probably because of the relative lack of a real foundation) vocals can become too forward to my liking. Storm is extremely cable sensitive but with the right combination vocals came across as superb with excellent imaging and great 3D body size.

Treble on Ragnar is supreme and you'll hear details that even may have the artists scratch their heads. Despite the quantity I haven't noticed any sibilance, which must mean it's of very high quality. Lower treble on Storm didn't sound very natural to me and a bit squeezed, and can sometimes become a little aggressive, but you may appreciate that for the music you're listening to.

Both have great imaging, micro and macro dynamics, attack, width, while depth-wise I thought Storm had a slight upperhand.

No clear cut winner for me personally.

Hope this helps slightly but always realize it's only one fool's opinion.

drftr

Mar 29, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #34,790 of 36,064
I have demoed both; the last one with 5 different cables to try to get it to work for me.

Both lack in sub and mid bass for me, and this comes from a bass hater (quantity-wise). Both are missing weight and impact in my book. On an absolute level the quality of Ragnar's bass is very good and with great timbre. Relatively speaking Storm has some of the best BA bass. Storm's mid bass sounded unnatural to me, which is weird for mid bass.

I found Ragnar too lean in the mids and (probably because of the relative lack of a real foundation) vocals can become too forward to my liking. Storm is extremely cable sensitive but with the right combination vocals came across as superb with excellent imaging and great 3D body size.

Treble on Ragnar is supreme and you'll hear details that even may have the artists scratch their heads. Despite the quantity I haven't noticed any sibilance, which must mean it's of very high quality. Lower treble on Storm didn't sound very natural to me and a bit squeezed, and can sometimes become a little aggressive, but you may appreciate that for the music you're listening to.

Both have great imaging, micro and macro dynamics, attack, width, while depth-wise I thought Storm had a slight upperhand.

No clear cut winner for me personally.

Hope this helps slightly but always realize it's only one fool's opinion.

drftr
You helped me instead. Also because I've been listening to Ragnar for about 6 hours and I roughly agree with you. But obviously Ragnar has yet to unravel. While instead I asked about Storm because I really have no idea how he could play. Perhaps (if I understand correctly) Storm and Ronin have more similarities than Storm and Ragnar. I err ? And anyway Ragnar with electronic music is the best thing I've ever heard. I also have to listen to modern jazz and jazz with Japanese female vocals. However already after 6 hours he fascinated me a lot. Tell me....Do Storm and Ronin have something in common?

Mar 29, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #34,791 of 36,064
You helped me instead. Also because I've been listening to Ragnar for about 6 hours and I roughly agree with you. But obviously Ragnar has yet to unravel. While instead I asked about Storm because I really have no idea how he could play. Perhaps (if I understand correctly) Storm and Ronin have more similarities than Storm and Ragnar. I err ? And anyway Ragnar with electronic music is the best thing I've ever heard. I also have to listen to modern jazz and jazz with Japanese female vocals. However already after 6 hours he fascinated me a lot. Tell me....Do Storm and Ronin have something in common?
Since I have answered the exact same questions on the Watercooler it's probably best to continue there to avoid doing everything twice :wink:

drftr

Mar 30, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #34,792 of 36,064
Apr 1, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #34,793 of 36,064
who is the best person to contact at Noble with praise/constructive criticism? The FoKus Mystique sound and fit amazing, but the controls leave much to be desired.

Apr 1, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #34,795 of 36,064
Anyone like the synergy of the P6 Pro with the Ragnar Viking?

I like the LPTG with the Ragnar but with some tracks the treble can feel a bit too sharp for my tastes. I was thinking that the P6 Pro might warm that up a bit and be better fit with the Ragnar than the LPTG.
P6 pro black is a quite agressive DAP on upper mids and treble, it is not a typical warm sounding r2r DAP. I owned it for over a year and i had LPGT ti as well, in direct comparsion LPGT Ti seemed smoother to my ears, atleast with Odin and Fusang. IMO.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #34,796 of 36,064
Could someone explain to me the differences between Ragnar and Ronin? Thank you.
Ragnar is dry sounding, little v-shaped, high resolving if not the most resolving king with focus on upper mids/treble while Ronin is warmer on mids, smoother on treble, with absolutely best bass i ever heard in an IEM, Ronin is tuned to be natural and non-fatigue while Ragnar is tuned to be engaged, dynamic with focus on realism(in terms of stage and separation of instrument)

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #34,797 of 36,064
Have been seriously enjoying the Ronin that I recently got. Anybody had tried tip rolling with the Ronin? Any tips on the best pairing so far?
I like Azla Max and spiraldot++ with the Ronin.

Apr 1, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #34,798 of 36,064
P6 pro black is a quite agressive DAP on upper mids and treble, it is not a typical warm sounding r2r DAP. I owned it for over a year and i had LPGT ti as well, in direct comparsion LPGT Ti seemed smoother to my ears, atleast with Odin and Fusang. IMO.
Thanks So11rek! Maybe I need to look at the Hiby RS6 or RS8...

Apr 1, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #34,800 of 36,064
Thanks So11rek! Maybe I need to look at the Hiby RS6 or RS8...
I don't recommend RS6, I think it is too warm and soft, RS6 will not let Ragnar to be the resolution king. It will reduce its clarity,resolution and dynamic on treble, RS8 must be much better, but i didn't hear it yet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back