Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Sep 5, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #32,852 of 36,116
I have the Wizard Katana. There is no comparison in size. Wizard Katana is small. It did take a long time to find a tip that worked for me on those. The Zephyr is the standard “nugget” shape like a lot of IEMs. The shape is very similar to the shape of IEMs like the EE LX and Khan. I have no fit issues with the “nugget” shaped IEMs.

Thanks. I wish the Xelastec tips were available when I had my Katanas.. They sure help keep things in place and I probably could have saved a ton looking for something that sounds as good... still looking

Sep 5, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #32,853 of 36,116
From the review of Seesax, it sounds like the Zephyr share the same DNA of the Katana with neutral sound and good, clean sub bass. Can you tell me the different between these 2?

Similar to what John said, the dynamic driver is probably the biggest difference and moves more air in the bass to my ears. I always loved the fast, clean and punchy sub-bass of the Katana, but Zephyr has the more impactful bass. Mids are a little more full and rounded on the Zephyr, where Katana is more neutral. Treble, hard to say, I no longer have the Katana anymore, but seem to remember it having a little more sparkle. Pretty similar up top though.

If I have a katana, would I find the zephyr sound very similar or a worthy upgrade? Or should I just think bigger (sultan)?

Just my opinion here, but I personally would go with Sultan if you were going to keep Katana. They're a similar sound tuning to some degree and Sultan has that wow-factor big and bold fun sound. It's more different than Katana than the Zephyr is. I hate making recommendations, especially on IEMs four digits in price, but that is what I personally would do (and am doing).

-Collin-

Sep 5, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #32,854 of 36,116
Seems like Zephyr is such a promising pair of IEMs. I prefer something clean, fast, neutral, and sparkly just like my Katana. A bump in the low-end provided by the dynamic driver would be so much more perfect. I hope the distributor in Vietnam would get a pair soon so I could give them a try.

Sep 6, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #32,855 of 36,116
Our review of the Zephyr is now posted with comparisons to the EVE20, Valkyrie, and the TUX 5. :relaxed:

https://headfonics.com/noble-audio-zephyr-review/

1599391861679.png

Sep 6, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #32,856 of 36,116
@marcusd how would you compare the female vocals in Zephyr with CA FIBAE7, Katakana?

Sep 6, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #32,857 of 36,116
Our review of the Zephyr is now posted with comparisons to the EVE20, Valkyrie, and the TUX 5. :relaxed:

https://headfonics.com/noble-audio-zephyr-review/

Great review! Did you experience any harshness or shouty-ness in the upper midrange due to the 2k peak you described? I found that the upper midrange of the Odin for example was a massive dealbreaker for me - I’m wondering if the zephyr does something similar

I’m super close to purchasing one and this is the first thing I’ve come across that is a bit of a red flag

Sep 6, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #32,858 of 36,116
@marcusd how would you compare the female vocals in Zephyr with CA FIBAE7, Katakana?

Will have to get back to you on that as I never compared the two to be honest. Do you mean the Katana? If so the vocals are beefier and further forward on the Zephyr

Sep 6, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #32,859 of 36,116
Great review! Did you experience any harshness or shouty-ness in the upper midrange due to the 2k peak you described? I found that the upper midrange of the Odin for example was a massive dealbreaker for me - I’m wondering if the zephyr does something similar

I’m super close to purchasing one and this is the first thing I’ve come across that is a bit of a red flag

I think people have various tolerance levels for how forward things are, the 1-2k peak is a minor bump, to be honest, the 4k rise is bigger but the slope on the treble is such that it never sounded splashy to me. It does slightly stretch the staging front to back with vocals to the fore, (female more so) and I love vocal so maybe I have some bias :)

Sep 6, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #32,860 of 36,116
I think people have various tolerance levels for how forward things are, the 1-2k peak is a minor bump, to be honest, the 4k rise is bigger but the slope on the treble is such that it never sounded splashy to me. It does slightly stretch the staging front to back with vocals to the fore, (female more so) and I love vocal so maybe I have some bias :)
Fair enough, I think it might not be as pronounced in such case :) a bit more forward is fine, as long as it doesn’t go all the way to overly hot

Thanks bud!

Sep 6, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #32,862 of 36,116
Prestige%2BZephyr-2735.jpg

Looks like Zephyr Prestige 005 "blueberry cheesecake" is sold out. Ah well.
Oh maaaaaan that is tragic :frowning2: I pmed the Wizard about reserving that unit while waiting for the Odin’s refund but we couldn’t get that organized in time - oh well :frowning2:

Sep 6, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #32,863 of 36,116
Will have to get back to you on that as I never compared the two to be honest. Do you mean the Katana? If so the vocals are beefier and further forward on the Zephyr

Yes, that means Katana. I very like Katana sound signature, but I prefer timbre from dynamic driver. Khan have perfect bass and highs for me, but I dislike mids, because not timbre. I listening a lot of asian music, especially soundtrack from anime, like Sawano, Kalafina, Aimer.
Would you like compare bass on Khan and Zaphyr, especially quality, decay, timbre, very thanks for answer.

Sep 6, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #32,865 of 36,116
Maybe Zephyr Prestige 019 “blueberry muffin”?

Prestige%2BZephyr-2499.jpg
I love most of the prestige options on the website but there was just such a Dawn and Dusk sentiment to 005 - plain exceptional. I might inquire to have a Zephyr built instead of the current options :) I’m currently excited for the Sea Monster Sultan that’s on its way though (I’ve decided that’s how I’m naming it :D)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back