Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Jun 28, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #32,506 of 36,055
Having some issues with my K10 CIEM, wondering if anyone can help.

I haven't listened to them for a while and today I started using them BUT I have noticed a complete lack of sub-bass extension, I would describe it as non-existent. I've been frantically listening to all my test tracks and the bass/sub-bass is just not there anymore, I most certainly do not remember these tracks sounding like this with these IEMs, even my chi-fi IEMs are sounding better.

Is there some way I could measure the FR? When I listen to Misty Mountains by the Hobbit dwarves on Tidal pretty much all of the sub-bass/rumble in their voices is gone and there is a very faint hiss in place of those lower frequencies. What should I do? I have tried two cables and problem persists, and oddly enough it is the same problem with both ear pieces, and I have tried a different source.

With Au5 - Follow you when it reaches the part where it focuses on bass there are some odd noises, again like hissing.

Well, what’s interesting is that it’s unilateral?

Jun 28, 2020 at 1:34 AM Post #32,507 of 36,055
Are you implying that I do not know what my CIEMs that I've had since 2014 should sound like?

There is something wrong with them. As evidenced by the odd hissing noise replacing sub-bass frequencies. Yes they do not have as much sub-bass as my SE846, BUT surely you would not describe their sub-bass as "non-existent", which is what I'm experiecing.

I have owned the k10 for 3 years and never got any sub bass out of them

Jun 28, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #32,508 of 36,055
I have owned the k10 for 3 years and never got any sub bass out of them

This style of confusion about tone, is often related to what we have been listening to. Meaning even listening to some cheap low bass consumer IEM can add contrast to what the Noble will sound like. It’s all about the contrast at times. Also it is wild how both sides would report an issue both at once?

Jun 28, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #32,509 of 36,055
Guys stop, I'm not talking about what I'm perceiving in terms of FR. I'm telling you I am hearing problems with the driver/s responsible for those low frequencies.

I practically cannot hear bass guitars/kick drums. The FR is perfectly fine then suddenly just cuts out once it reaches low enough and is replaced with a hiss.

And yes I acknowledge the improbability of both drives having the same problem, yet here we are. I have ruled out cable, source device and source file. Occam's razor.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #32,510 of 36,055
Guys stop, I'm not talking about what I'm perceiving in terms of FR. I'm telling you I am hearing problems with the driver/s responsible for those low frequencies.

I practically cannot hear bass guitars/kick drums. The FR is perfectly fine then suddenly just cuts out once it reaches low enough and is replaced with a hiss.

And yes I acknowledge the improbability of both drives having the same problem, yet here we are. I have ruled out cable, source device and source file. Occam's razor.
How were they stored during the period of non use? Moisture is an enemy of BA drivers. If you can get hold of a hearing aid drier, it would be worth using overnight to see if it helps. Otherwise leave them in a warm dry place. I take it you will have already thoroughly cleaned all the bores.

Jun 28, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #32,511 of 36,055
Our Sultan review is now posted :) comparisons to a few other competing monitors and the Khan. Very different tuning to the Khan.

https://headfonics.com/noble-audio-sultan-review/

1593342641548.png

Jun 28, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #32,512 of 36,055
Our Sultan review is now posted :) comparisons to a few other competing monitors and the Khan. Very different tuning to the Khan.

https://headfonics.com/noble-audio-sultan-review/

Very good review of The Sultan. I agree with your findings and I am glad you left out the dancers.

I am not getting a discernable hiss with the E02 and the Sultan and I hate hiss. I here a little with Katana but the Katana has a little bit of background noise on most sources. But still not enough to be annoying. I have tried almost all CA IEMs and cannot handle the hiss if that is any barometer.

Your Khan and Canary comparisons were also spot on with or without delectable dancers!

Jun 28, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #32,513 of 36,055
Very good review of The Sultan. I agree with your findings and I am glad you left out the dancers.

I am not getting a discernable hiss with the E02 and the Sultan and I hate hiss. I here a little with Katana but the Katana has a little bit of background noise on most sources. But still not enough to be annoying. I have tried almost all CA IEMs and cannot handle the hiss if that is any barometer.

Your Khan and Canary comparisons were also spot on with or without delectable dancers!

Why am I thinking David Bowie? :)

The hiss is kind of low but I am comparing it to the likes of Zeus and Solaris which are notorious for finding high noise floors. Certainly, it is one of Noble's easier to drive configurations.

Jun 28, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #32,514 of 36,055
Birthday Sale

Happy Birthday sir @FullCircle ! More years fo wizardry to you. Though the new site didn’t feature the birthday discount offer yet though. Hoping for some crazy B-stock units sale as well

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #32,515 of 36,055
I second the Birthday wishes. Also second the desire for bday sale info. :)

Jun 28, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #32,516 of 36,055

With all due respect, your first post did ask specifically about measuring FR.

Have you considered emailing Noble from their contact form rather than asking a question here and immediately dismissing those kind enough to respond? You're very clearly not getting the responses you were looking for.

-Collin-

Edit: let me try to be a little more helpful. When I had a driver going out in an older pair of Earsonics, I tried the 10-200hz sweep here: https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

Lots of good stuff there, but honestly if you're hearing hiss/noise rather than a gradual roll-off, it sounds like something is wrong (purely speculation on my part).

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #32,517 of 36,055
Could someone with K10 listen to the following youtube video from the 0:40 mark and tell me at what frequency does their bass extension end?

Jun 29, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #32,518 of 36,055
My K10s are fairly flat using that clip. I can hear things pretty well down to around 21Hz. My Khans are flatter and even through the entire sweep down to about 18Hz.

Jun 29, 2020 at 3:25 AM Post #32,520 of 36,055
My K10s are fairly flat using that clip. I can hear things pretty well down to around 21Hz. My Khans are flatter and even through the entire sweep down to about 18Hz.

My K10 completely cuts out at 40hz, must be why I feel like they no longer have any sub bass, because they dont.

Looks like I'll ask noble how to get it fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back