Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Apr 5, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #25,171 of 36,084
Any Encore user here tried before Ref8 balance cable? Does it provide significant improvement?

For my anatomy, the Ref8's angled 2pin connectors hit my ear and keep pushing Encore out. I can't get a good seal.

Now, Ref8 and U12 is awesome.

Ref8 also works beautifully with my Solar CIEM.

There's just something strange about Encore's design that makes this cable unusable. At least the Universal version.

Apr 5, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #25,172 of 36,084
For my anatomy, the Ref8's angled 2pin connectors hit my ear and keep pushing Encore out. I can't get a good seal.

There's just something strange about Encore's design that makes this cable unusable. At least the Universal version.

Noted. Thanks for your heads up. In that case I better head down to try it out the fitting before buying it online.

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #25,173 of 36,084
Noted. Thanks for your heads up. In that case I better head down to try it out the fitting before buying it online.

Exactly. It could be nothing more than an unfortunate combination of IEM design, cable, and Pinky's mutations.

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #25,174 of 36,084
Here is the next episode of the duo review by me and @shiorisekine, this time about the Noble Audio Katana. Come take a peak and tell us what you think!

http://www.head-fi.org/products/noble-audio-katana/reviews/18356

Apr 5, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #25,175 of 36,084
On day 5 with my new Encores...

One thing that is definitely worth mentioning about the Encores, which I find kind of unusual in my experience with other IEMs, is that you can turn the volume up much higher with these without getting bothered, for example, by harsh treble or muddy, distorted base.  I find my self listening to these at higher volumes and enjoying every frequency of sound.  These define smoothness!

Moon audio silver dragon balanced cables are on the way to me right now, my first upgrade iem cable.  C'mon baby~

Apr 5, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #25,176 of 36,084

I've used ALO reference 8 with the Encore universal and it fits fine with my ears, no problems with fit.

The ref 8 cable is really nice,  brings out the details with all the iems I've tried it with.

Apr 5, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #25,177 of 36,084
I think that the dita cables are kind of a hit or miss in its strike zone for ppl? I personally am not a fan of the vdh cables, which is why i immediately swapped out the truth cable that came with my dita dream for a dhc Fusion. Now my truth cable is lying in a corner and i doubt that I'll ever take it out again unless i ever sell my dream, which I doubt.

Wow, you have the Dream? Nice! Thx for your thoughts on the Dita cable, will save myself some money :)

-Collin-

Apr 5, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #25,178 of 36,084
I've used ALO reference 8 with the Encore universal and it fits fine with my ears, no problems with fit.

The ref 8 cable is really nice,  brings out the details with all the iems I've tried it with.

Good to know it works for some.

In a way I'm glad the Ref8 doesn't work with Encore, because that means it gets to stay on my U12, which needs it the most, due to its overly warm signature.

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #25,179 of 36,084

I think that the dita cables are kind of a hit or miss in its strike zone for ppl? I personally am not a fan of the vdh cables, which is why i immediately swapped out the truth cable that came with my dita dream for a dhc Fusion. Now my truth cable is lying in a corner and i doubt that I'll ever take it out again unless i ever sell my dream, which I doubt.

I've found the Dita VDH cables a little too bright for my tastes. It'll be good for darker sounding IEMs.

Will that be the silver or the copper ones?

Apr 6, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #25,182 of 36,084
I was wondering if someone more knowledgeable or experienced can help me with a question...

I remember hearing or reading somewhere that imaging is superior for single-ended connections than balanced connection.  Is this true and why?  I just received my silver dragon balanced cables with 2.5 mm jack for my Encores and am noticing that the sound is definitely more articulate, louder, and clearer but imaging and separation is in fact better with the single ended stock cable.  I am finding that the "magic" is gone with the new, balanced cable.  I am using AK380 + amp and interchanging between the 3.5 and 2.5 mm balanced output.  Could it be that the stock SPC cable is better than the silver dragons?  The silver dragons sound, although more articulate and louder, sounds boring to me.  I am thinking maybe I should have gotten the silver dragons with 3.5 mm jack instead. 

Apr 7, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #25,183 of 36,084
  I was wondering if someone more knowledgeable or experienced can help me with a question...

I remember hearing or reading somewhere that imaging is superior for single-ended connections than balanced connection.  Is this true and why?  I just received my silver dragon balanced cables with 2.5 mm jack for my Encores and am noticing that the sound is definitely more articulate, louder, and clearer but imaging and separation is in fact better with the single ended stock cable.  I am finding that the "magic" is gone with the new, balanced cable.  I am using AK380 + amp and interchanging between the 3.5 and 2.5 mm balanced output.  Could it be that the stock SPC cable is better than the silver dragons?  The silver dragons sound, although more articulate and louder, sounds boring to me.  I am thinking maybe I should have gotten the silver dragons with 3.5 mm jack instead. 

I am guessing it's more the output differences between the SE and balanced jacks on the AK.  You could test by getting a 2.5mm trrs to 3.5mm trs adapter and try the Silver Dragon in the SE output.

Apr 7, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #25,185 of 36,084

It all boils down to a few things. Do you believe that cables make a difference? Do you believe that Amps makes a difference? Because some people, even some reviewers believe that not only do cables not make a difference, they also do not believe that Amps can make a large difference.

Now if you do believe these things can make a difference, the answer would be, that it depends. It really depends and there is no hard and fast rule.

People tend to characterise cables, copper is warm, silver is bright, SPC is somewhere in between, Litz is better, gold is bassy, whatever. It doesn't always hold true. I've heard extremely warm silver and extremely bright copper. Is SPC better than silver or copper or vice versa? Well again it depends. You can't just compare them like that because SPC from one company is not SPC from another company and that makes a difference. Even then, what is better? I've heard cables increase the top end of one IEM and smoothen out another. It all depends on the relative peaks in the IEM, a whole lot of other factors I'm not privy to, and most importantly your own preferences. And is it better? Well often only you can decide what is better to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back