Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Jan 27, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #24,511 of 36,042
Katana on the otherwise, is a grown up and muscular version of Savanna :wink:

Grown up and muscular doesn't seem like a fitting description for a pair of precision music devices, named after a precision weapon.

Perhaps a far more refined version of them.

Jan 27, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #24,514 of 36,042
So random question, does anyone here use their CIEM's at the gym? As in weights not much running etc. Considering it but not sure how they'd go/worried about them getting damage

I was thinking this myself. After some thought, I figured that it would be a terrible idea to use really expensive earphones in the gym as: a, you're not really listening to it as 'deeply' as you would normally, negating the requirement of a really good, expensive IEM; b, water and salt aren't good for metal and electronics; c, imagine your despair as you see a weight crushing your treasured earphones, or when you have them out for a moment and they knock on something whilst they're swinging around your neck.

I'm sure you could use a hearing aid dryer and just be really really careful, but is it really worth the risk?

Water, sweat and heavy weights don't go well with delicate items, especially items which take you X months to save up for and X weeks to be produced. This is why I stick to my cheapo buds for the gym.

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #24,515 of 36,042
  So random question, does anyone here use their CIEM's at the gym? As in weights not much running etc. Considering it but not sure how they'd go/worried about them getting damage

I've been using my first set of CIEMs (not my Nobles--which are on the way) for listening at the gym for nearly two years. At first I was a bit concerned about the issues of salt, sweat, etc, like you, but I've had no problems.

Caveat emptor:  I'm not a bruh so I don't go apesh!t slinging weights around recklessly; they work fine on the treadmill, elliptical, machines, and the little bit of barbells I do on a regular basis. I don't do kettles or P90X or anything like that, so my workout presents minimal risks for accidentally yanking them out and smashing them. 

(Excuse me while I knock on wood for the preceding statement.)

I've noticed no issues with sound quality/clarity, cable connections or any deterioration with the internals (at least what I can see through my mostly translucent shells--but who knows). I don't appear to sweat more from the inside of my ears when I workout versus when I'm sitting on an A380 for 8+ hours, which I do about 5-6 times annually. They still sound like they did when I got them, and I definitely enjoy them more than buds because of the added isolation, which is great for drowning out the grunting and farting of the benchpress beefcakes.  

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:32 AM Post #24,516 of 36,042

In such environment, using something more portable fulfills the need much better even if sound is suffering. But believe me mostly you will not be able to identify all beauty of sound hi-end stuff is able to deliver while you're moving actively/constantly and all around are making noise as well actively with iron and all that stuff, it is physically not possible to get all the details/beauty. Cables are also annoying and another story that makes you trouble. So - no sense, and I was made sure of this with years of experience. You need to separate out delicate Hi-End precision devices and sports, then you're happy & reasonable.

Sony did great job with Walkman series for sport: http://www.sony.com/electronics/walkman/nwz-w273-nwz-w274s - this one works really great for me for last 5 years; water, sweat - all is handled, you can even swim with them. The quality is decent for sports and I am not able to identify big difference in sound in active environment with top level IEM/CIEM. Lack of wires is pleasure. Alternatively, on market there are other devices of such category, just look around.

Jan 27, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #24,517 of 36,042

My advice to you is to just get a pair of cheap earphones to use at the gym, bluetooth ones are very nice (<100$). It is not worth the possibility of damaging your ciems because you want to use them for the gym. Chances are if you are doing what you are supposed to be doing at the gym, you wont notice a difference in sound quality.

Jan 27, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #24,518 of 36,042

My advice to you is to just get a pair of cheap earphones to use at the gym, bluttooth ones are very nice (<100$). It is not worth the possibility of damaging your ciems because you want to use them for the gym. Chances are if you are doing what you are supposed to be doing at the gym, you wont notice a difference in sound quality.

Yea that was pretty much my thinking but thought others might have done so successfully, I think I'd be too worried about damaging too. I've already got some cheap sony ones that I've been using, no need for wireless ones, cable never caused me any issues

Thanks everyone for your replies

Jan 28, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #24,519 of 36,042
Happy HD650 and RE400 owner here. I seem to be on the road a lot these days so I feel it's time to up my game in the mobile department. Based on my satisfaction with the HD650 and RE400, anyone have any thoughts on what the better fit is between the K10U (still available at my shop here in Hong Kong), Katana (also in stock), and Kaiser Encore (will need to order and wait)?

Jan 28, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #24,520 of 36,042
  Happy HD650 and RE400 owner here. I seem to be on the road a lot these days so I feel it's time to up my game in the mobile department. Based on my satisfaction with the HD650 and RE400, anyone have any thoughts on what the better fit is between the K10U (still available at my shop here in Hong Kong), Katana (also in stock), and Kaiser Encore (will need to order and wait)?

The Kaiser Encore Universal is in production right now, a batch will be shipped on Monday, so I don't suspect the wait would be long.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Jan 28, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #24,521 of 36,042
The Kaiser Encore Universal is in production right now, a batch will be shipped on Monday, so I don't suspect the wait would be long.

I really hope a few of those Encores will be shipped to those (me) who ordered on black friday. The waiting is killing me softly. :wink:

Jan 28, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #24,522 of 36,042
I really hope a few of those Encores will be shipped to those (me) who ordered on black friday. The waiting is killing me softly.
wink.gif

You still waiting? Wow. They are worth it though.

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #24,525 of 36,042
Received some medium Spiral Dots and tried them for a good 2 weeks on my Savants.

Now i know they are highly recommended in this thread however i really couldn't get into them. Compared to the stock red/orange tips the mids seemed a little bit leaner for my liking (although i think they were more detailed) Also i lost a bit more bass punch as well. 

Overall i just thought the balance with the spiral dots felt off. 

Wonder if anyone else felt the same way with the spiral dots on their nobles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back