Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Oct 5, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #22,441 of 36,135
  If I do upgrade mine to a new model, I'll get in touch, maybe we can work something out 
tongue.gif

Well if you have anything in store, I'll definitely check em' out. Anything's better than paying full retail price for me 
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 6, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #22,444 of 36,135
Which do you prefer?

That depends on what I'm listening to - and how I'm listening.

Today at work I was listening to the utterly amazing TRON soundtrack by Daft Punk while churning out Powershell scripts (automating the deployment of SCOM clients for new customer servers in our hosting center, thanks for asking) the music and (c)iem combo served to keep me motivated as well as block out the background noise of the office. Went with the K10 for their combination of soundstage for the orchestral pieces (Nocturne) and hard-hitting, flawless bass for the EDM bits (End Of Line, Derezzed).

After lunch I started work on a new script (automated validation of backup configuration; super exciting, I know). Starting a new script from scratch means pen and paper as I jot down the logical steps needed and starts to work out how to get them done as fast and efficient as possible with code. So instead of coding like this, I'm working out stuff in my head like this. This is where I put on something like Fink Meets The RCO or maybe Agnes Obel... and the Katana. 

I do tend to use my K10 a tiny bit more than the Katana, but that's simply due to its superior comfort (ciem vs universal) for me and my wonky ears. By sonic merits alone, I could live happily with either one as my only headphone.

Well, until The Wizard finds a way to magic K10 bass into a Katana, that is. 

Oct 6, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #22,446 of 36,135
  That depends on what I'm listening to - and how I'm listening.

Today at work I was listening to the utterly amazing TRON soundtrack by Daft Punk while churning out Powershell scripts (automating the deployment of SCOM clients for new customer servers in our hosting center, thanks for asking) the music and (c)iem combo served to keep me motivated as well as block out the background noise of the office. Went with the K10 for their combination of soundstage for the orchestral pieces (Nocturne) and hard-hitting, flawless bass for the EDM bits (End Of Line, Derezzed).

After lunch I started work on a new script (automated validation of backup configuration; super exciting, I know). Starting a new script from scratch means pen and paper as I jot down the logical steps needed and starts to work out how to get them done as fast and efficient as possible with code. So instead of coding like this, I'm working out stuff in my head like this. This is where I put on something like Fink Meets The RCO or maybe Agnes Obel... and the Katana. 

I do tend to use my K10 a tiny bit more than the Katana, but that's simply due to its superior comfort (ciem vs universal) for me and my wonky ears. By sonic merits alone, I could live happily with either one as my only headphone.

Well, until The Wizard finds a way to magic K10 bass into a Katana, that is. 

Easy, add 1 subwoofer driver...

Oct 6, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #22,447 of 36,135
I have tried the Savanna and Savant with my Cayin N6. The N6 has good synergy with them.
I ended up picking up the Savant..

Note: I wouldn't pick/buy the new i5, too smooth and warm to be paired with Nobles

Guess I'll be aiming for the N5 since I've always liked the AK4490 DAC chip xD

Very neutral and fairly musical which is great for Savant and Katana I believe. Heck. Any Noble IEM will sound better with it. Not sure bout Trident though...

Oct 7, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #22,448 of 36,135
So in preparation for Round 2 of Noble audition session....do answer me a simple question , friends.

Spinfit or Comply foam? :)

Oct 7, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #22,451 of 36,135
I wouldn't sleep on the red core tips either, especially if you have large ear canals.  Out of all the provided tips, they're the ones that give me the best seal.

Comply foam is undoubtably more comfortable and they work great at getting rid of any peaks (at the cost of some clarity and bass).  Not sure if they're the right pair for K10Us, but if you're super sensitive to sibilance they help tremendously.  Might pair really well with some of the sharper universals.

Oct 7, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #22,452 of 36,135
I wouldn't sleep on the red core tips either, especially if you have large ear canals.  Out of all the provided tips, they're the ones that give me the best seal.

Comply foam is undoubtably more comfortable and they work great at getting rid of any peaks (at the cost of some clarity and bass).  Not sure if they're the right pair for K10Us, but if you're super sensitive to sibilance they help tremendously.  Might pair really well with some of the sharper universals.

Well if you read my impressions on the Nobles on first round you will know I am very sensitive to treble and sibilance.

I might lean to Comply due to this ad it really helps smoothen out some harshness on the peaky IEMs.

Oct 7, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #22,453 of 36,135
So in preparation for Round 2 of Noble audition session....do answer me a simple question , friends.

Spinfit or Comply foam?
smily_headphones1.gif

Use both so you can offer an overview of the effects of each type on the sound. 
wink.gif

Oct 7, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #22,454 of 36,135
Use both so you can offer an overview of the effects of each type on the sound. :wink:

Good point. But the only thing is that Comply's are sold stupidly expensive here.

They're sold at a whopping MYR 79!

Which is like...$19 in US currency.

I might go for an alternative like JVC spiral instead if they're priced well.

Oct 7, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #22,455 of 36,135
Good point. But the only thing is that Comply's are sold stupidly expensive here.

They're sold at a whopping MYR 79!

Which is like...$19 in US currency.

I might go for an alternative like JVC spiral instead if they're priced well.

I used to get comply but then I found out about Inairs which seem to match up in quality and are cheaper. Also for me comply seemed to muffle bass very slightly, Inairs seem to have better bass when I did a side by side with fresh tips.

My only complaint with Inairs is that they have a slightly more tacky sheen (probably giving a better seal for better bass) that leads to little specks of dust and debris sticking to them (don't wipe with a tissue haha). Comply tips are only like that for me when they are brand new, and that sheen fades away within a few days.

In the UK (amazon), Inairs are 5 pairs for £12 (£2.40 per pair) vs Comply being 3 pairs for £15 (£5 per pair)

I also want to try spinfits at some point but I've seen a lot of mixed reviews and it looks like it's really just personal preference. They're only £8 per pair here but I've never bought them just because the complaints about fit makes me hesitant to possibly end up wasting money going through sizes. I'm pretty content with foam tips anyway, so I'm not desperate to try out new tips. I'll probably buy them on a whim at some point out of curiosity though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back