Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Feb 9, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #1,966 of 36,063
A friend who is into puts it perfectly.

The Roxanne's are like a stallion, fast paced and exciting.

The K10 is like rowing a boat down a river in a zen like state, enjoying everything that surrounds you.

Sorry for the long post, pardon me as I go row my boat now....

Quote:
  Thanks for those impressions. The stallion/row boat analogy sort of works for the next JH13FP/Noble 8C comparison as well, which I guess would be the next step down from Roxeanne/K10. Must be a house sound type of thing. 

Hmmm.. To me a 'stallion' CIEM would seem to be preferable to a 'row boat' CIEM. Prior to this analogy I was definately considering the K10...now I'm going down the river in a row boat...
confused.gif

Seriously, "fast paced and exciting" sounds reads like a very desirable trait...I'm confused.

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #1,967 of 36,063
Hmmm.. To me a 'stallion' CIEM would seem to be preferable to a 'row boat' CIEM. Prior to this analogy I was definately considering the K10...now I'm going down the river in a row boat...:confused:  

Seriously, "fast paced and exciting" sounds reads like a very desirable trait...I'm confused.

Edited my post to make the analogy a little clearer

Just get the K10

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #1,969 of 36,063
Obviously the analogy can only take you so far.... the JH sound tends to be exciting, fast paced, sort of impossible to ignore. It commands your attention. The Noble 8C is more relaxed, welcoming, calm and flowing. It's NOT boring, but the excitement is of a different variety. 

Both approaches have their merit. 

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #1,970 of 36,063
Ok, but how is K10 vs. Roxanne with Rock (bass slam w/ detail, realistic emotional vocals, and hard hitting drums)?

If that is the ONLY genre ur looking at, the Roxanne's edge out the K10 by a small margin, but it have to mention the veil I felt when I listened to the Roxanne's. I'm sorry but it's a little hard for me to describe, I just felt that it was thick and didn't sound too appealing to me, almost overwhelming.

I preferred having a chameleon that excelled in everything I threw at it.

Feb 9, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #1,971 of 36,063
  Since the wood is brown and a neutral color, it should go with almost anything around it.

What really makes the wood "pop" in this design is that it has a lot of orange and warm undertones. Blue and orange are complementary colors, and a lot of people are visually attracted to scenes or objects that have them.  That is why Thomas Kinkade scenes became very popular, particularly any of his paintings where cottage windows almost seem to be glowing.

For anyone that is interested, check out this color star on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Color_star-en.svg

The Wizard clearly has some knowledge of how to use these color combinations.
smile.gif
However, with all of the fun options available, I wanted to design my own. Plus, I really wanted to see something different from the more popular colors and glitter designs. I don't surf, but the look kind of reminds me of an old wooden surfboard against a clear ocean backdrop. I guess that's appropriate for a San Diego audiophile!

Feb 9, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #1,972 of 36,063
Ok, but how is K10 vs. Roxanne with Rock (bass slam w/ detail, realistic emotional vocals, and hard hitting drums)?

I listen to a lot of metal and rock, but I still prefer the K10. Sometimes the Rox just hits drums (especially cymbals) too hard, and the vocals lack that little something.

In the K10 its there, perfect seperation and perfect vocals and decay...

Feb 9, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #1,976 of 36,063

Nice information. What if I listen to meatal, rap, electronic, and Indie music which would be better the 8 or theK10? These types of music the bass is very important and at times the focal point. Also I enjoy Steely Dan which has a strong nice bass line. Thank You.

I don't really listen to anything in those genres, at least on a normal basis.  If absolute bass is your number one, overriding priority, the Heir Audio 8.A would probably be a better choice.  That being said, I wouldn't currently purchase an 8.A (my 8.A were actually built by the Wizard and Kaiser Soze when they were with Heir, before Noble existed).  When it comes to the current lineup, I haven't heard the 8C, but I have heard from others who have heard both that the bass on the K10 is a bit more impactful than on the 8C.  

Really, the K10 is an all-around better headphone than the 8.A.  It will take anything you throw at it and leave you smiling.  The K10 certainly doesn't lack bass; it's there when it's called for in the recording.  It just doesn't add any more warmth to the bass when it's not there.  I hope that this description makes sense to you.

If you're even on the fence about a K10, it's worth it to take the plunge.  I am sure that you won't be disappointed.  Another nice thing about the K10 is that it responds very well to EQ, so if you want to slightly boost the bass and reduce the mids / treble, you can do so without ruining the sound.  You're going to get at least 95% of the bass feel of the 8.A with the K10, and that's honestly just how it feels because the highs are so much better on the K10.  If you objectively measured it, I think you'd see that the bass in the K10 is a lot closer to the bass in the 8.A than it may seem at first listen.

Just my 2 cents.

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #1,980 of 36,063

I read you were listening to Nora Jones and I believe that style of music which Nora is the main focal point a balance earphone is ideal. My thoughts are what if I use these to listen to music that each musician in the track will become the focal point in that song. What I mean is the drummer will have a solo or an opening and later the guitar will start becomeing the focal point and all along the track the bass guitar is always present. Along these sounds the singer will be singing throughout the track  so how will a balanced earphone be? Classical, Easy Listening music I believe will require balance but there are other styles out there that pushes one area harder then others in the song. Say Bad Company or Led Zeppelin both have hard drumming and at times the drumming is the main focus but both also have strong lead singers and both have a strong Bass guitar. At times in concert you can feel the bass guitar but if a earphone is unable to produce that feel then something will be missing. A group called Styx has a song called "renegade" in the intro you will not only hear but you will feel the bass and it will move the floor when it is on. Most earphones or headphones will not be able to produce this sound. So if one mostly listens to Easy Listening music or Classical how can I know that earphone can be as good for other styles of music out there?

I don't just listen to Nora Jones or easy listening / classical.  Yes, I do listen to that, but what I mainly listen to is classic rock and indie / pop.  I'm not really a fan of electronica, although I have listened to it on the K10 to see how it sounds.  It sounds really darn good, but it's just not my style of music.  The K10 handles it technically very well.

The layering phenomenon that you've described is handled supremely well with the K10.  I'd say that it's the headphone's greatest strength.  Everything is where it should be, and it's there for you to focus on if you so desire.  Each part of the song comes together to form a perfect whole.  The bass guitar doesn't get in the way of the vocals.  The drums and electric guitar sit on their own plane in the music.  No one part muddies the other parts, letting each individual part shine.  You can choose to listen for the finer details that are revealed in a specific instrument, you can pick out background nuances if you so choose (and you'll find plenty of them).  But you can also just relax and let the music come to you.

To give you an example, I've been re-listening to all of the Eagles hi-res albums from hdtracks.  Listening to Desperado, you can hear the accompanying pieces, and the whole build-up just gives me chills.  Hotel California never fails to make me shudder.  Each time I listen in, I hear more and more details, and little things that I've missed.  And I've listened to these songs for years.  In Doolin-Dalton, you can pick out every part of the dueling banjos, but you can also hear this wonderful background melody, and the drums, which have a cool little counter melody.

If you read reviews from others in the thread, you'll see them describe the other genres of music and how the K10 handles them.  Don't take my lack of listening to certain categories of music as an admission the K10 won't handle them.  It will really handle anything you throw at it, and it'll do even better if you have a proper source and drive them well.

However, it really is up to you.  My opinions are my own, and I encourage you to get some more opinions before you spend the real money on the K10s.  From my experience, however, I can't recommend the K10s enough. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back