Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Jan 18, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #1,562 of 36,135
  Looking forward to impressions on this!

That is something I really look forward to as I already have the DN-1000 and currently saving up for the N4!
Thanks!

Here is the write-up you asked for. I won't bother to discuss accessories and such, what matters is sound 
wink_face.gif
 If you want, I can add some photos of both earphones and boxes.

Music: chamber and baroque records and EDM (dubstep, goa trance etc) 
DAC and amp: Fiio E17.

Sonic comparison
N4 is incredibly quick and transparent. Without a hint of sibilance, every part of frequency (but predominantly mid and treble) has a heap of details. The bass is better, deeper and more detailed than on R-50, but DN-1000 detrones it in terms of depth and texture. Overall, N4 is more coherent sounding.

DN-1000 has nice, airy treble, but significantly below of what the N4 can reproduce. Possibly comparable to R-50. Where things are starting to be interesting for DN-1000 is the bass and lower midrange -- it sounds thicker, notes have more body. This results in very involving, realistic experience with certain types of music. Charpischord progressions make you tap your feet. In particular lower octaves of charpischord and contrabass is where the DN-1000 shines. Overall this makes DN-1000 more pronouncing rhythm than N4 or any other IEM that I own (R50 and GR01).

I think I may confirm what others have noted in DN-1000 reviews, that there is a very slight trace of discontinuity or incoherence between bass and (upper) mids on DN-1000, apparent after listening to the same track with N4. Despite of this tiny incoherence, instruments still sound realistic on DN-1000.

As I have stated before, treble is by far better with the N4. More effortless, reaches higher (more extension); soprano vocals and coloratures are a matter for N4. Complex vocal passages of 3-5 voices are  difficult to track on DN-1000 but the N4 makes them exactly pin-pointed. DN-1000 has less resolution and has a tendency to blur treble and midrange complexities. This isn't a huge difference though, but on well-mastered rerecordings it is quite easy to pick.

For certain bass-heavy kinds of EDM music such as dubstep, DN-1000 are the clear winner. In other EDM genres it is less obvious. Despite DN-1000's emphasis on rhythm, N4 is also excellent with drum and bass due to its speed and handles goa trance and ambient records well. The same goes with baroque and chamber music, no clear winner: sopranos and violins are for N4 but charpischords and contrabass are better with DN-1000.

I think I have confirmed what Noble team says about the N4, if you want bass slam look on N5 and N6.

Jan 18, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #1,565 of 36,135
Jan 18, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #1,569 of 36,135
  Nice impressions! I like shotgunshane don't like 45 degree angled plugs either :frowning2:
I'm guessing all Noble cables are the same?

Well, is that what's stopping you from getting a Noble iem - you can give someone the cable to terminate it with the plug you like or you can just buy a different cable not from Noble but I think the Noble cable is great (down to the plug they use)

Jan 18, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #1,570 of 36,135
  Well, is that what's stopping you from getting a Noble iem - you can give someone the cable to terminate it with the plug you like or you can just buy a different cable not from Noble but I think the Noble cable is great (down to the plug they use)

No, that's not what is stopping me. It's the queue of other orders and time :wink: 
Will have to re-terminate it if I decide to pick up a PB2.

Jan 18, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #1,572 of 36,135

I can't remember the exact years that the ear stops "growing" and by ear I mean concha, and shape of the ear canal, but I do belive it is around 18-19 Yrs old.

I built a set for my nephew when he was 14, and at around 16 he reported they did not fit any longer.

But for the normal adult, about the only time one expects a change in ear anatomy would be due to a massive weight gain or massive weight loss. A great percentage of the anatomy of the ear, outer ear and ear canal area contains fatty type tissue.

In my time, (almost 20 years now) I have really only had to rebuild 1 CIEM due to massive weight loss, and one hearing aid due to massive weight loss.

The JH13 won me over due to its HUMONGOUS soundstage. Its amazing, even bigger than my PRM's
All players should be able to drive them, from a rockboxed clip zip to the HM-901. For me it pairs well with the RWAK120 and HM901.
2 years or so, depending on how fast your ear changes. A Z or ipod can drive them decently.

Also they have an end of summer sale for 15% but i dont know if its done yet. They will release a new flagship in October.

I see. Thanks for the feedback. Because I read some others claiming that they have to get a new pair of CIEM when their ears change in <3 years.

Jan 18, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #1,573 of 36,135
On my wild Journeys through Instagram, I've spotted a fresh joined Noble Audio account.

Good to see Noble join the party.

Here's their page link: http://instagram.com/nobleaudio

I'm sure you Noble - Noble fans will like to support their channel. :wink:

Jan 18, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #1,575 of 36,135

I think it is an excellent stock cable that is provided with my N4/N6 (improved Westone type of cable), reasonable priced and in the long run I will pick up an extra set of cables to use with my Ety's. I already have some adapters for this but I yet have to take/find my time to perform all the complicated interventions like figuring out how to switch it all correctly (+,-) and removing parts from each other..
I believe that you can even relatively easy modify the cable to run something from a balanced output/source if that would be a preference..

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back