Night Time Shots Of Our Tubes Glowing -- Post Them Here!!
Nov 3, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #571 of 1,510

aDSC_0002.jpg

Newbie here. What is the cap thing on top of this tube? What's the purpose?

Nov 3, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #572 of 1,510

Quote:
Newbie here. What is the cap thing on top of this tube? What's the purpose?

From wikipedia:
In the 1930s, tubes often had the connection to the control grid, brought out through a metal cap on the top of the tube. This was connected by using a clip with an attached wire lead. An example would be the 6A7 pentagrid converter. Later, some tubes, particularly those used as radio frequency (RF) power amplifiers or horizontal deflection amplifiers in TV sets, such as the 6DQ6, had the plate or anode lead protrude through the envelope. In both cases this allowed the tube's output circuitry to be isolated from the input (grid) circuit more effectively. In the case of the tubes with the plate brought out to a cap, this also allowed the plate to run at higher voltages (over 26,000 volts in the case of rectifiers for colour television, such as the 3A3).
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CBsQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FTube_socket&rct=j&q=vacuum%20tube%20top%20pin&ei=O_PRTOXIKsGB8gaEqLnODA&usg=AFQjCNFGaZ65Cl0rw6wa5xj5KPKvt5d8Jg&cad=rja

Nov 3, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #573 of 1,510
Are we talking about LED lighting, or LED lighting of tubes? I'm of the opinion that LED lighting of tubes (via LED underneath the tube) is tacky, whereas LED lighting in general is annoying if it's excessively bright but less atrocious
smily_headphones1.gif

The Bijou doesn't have any LED's underneath the tubes, that blue lighting is from an overachieving power indicator on the power supply board, I think...

Nov 5, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #575 of 1,510
^ Outstanding. Great shot. Is that your new Little Dot VI? Nice.

Nov 5, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #576 of 1,510
yessir, clayton.
that is my new baby...

until i win the lottery and can afford a WA5LE or something, this will be the amp for me.
it is pretty remarkable.

an anecdotal bit:  it has somehow transformed my K702 into something vaguely enjoyable.
perhaps an accidental effect of driving a 60 ohm headphone with a 5 watt OTL amp...

biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #578 of 1,510
^ That's a great photo. And those RCA 6AS7G tubes are still quite inexpensive compared to other NOS tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back