Newby Here ( Question about Dt 990 600OHM )
Jan 16, 2013 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jkrokidas

New Head-Fier
I just got my career job and can finally get my feet wet with some real cans. I purchased the BeyerDynamic DT 990's 600OHM ( used this site to read and pick ones i wanted. You guys are awesome) and I am loving them. I paired them with a Asus xonar STX. Card became defective and they resent me my same card back threw a RMA. I am fed up with Asus. Looking for a $300< amp I could use with my desktop. Listen to music and game all on my desktop. I dont need portability. Any recommendations would be really appreciated. I read up on all the different types and now im starting to get confused lol.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #3 of 10
Been reading up on O2,and matrix-M stage. Would it matter if I am using the onboard sound card? . Or would I need a separate sound card for output purposes. I also use desktop speakers at times. I see that the matrix-m has multiple outputs, would this be ideal for me so I can switch between speakers and using the front jack?.

Jan 17, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #4 of 10
On-board sound is not good. You should use your sound card as a DAC or get an external DAC. Maybe the ODAC :p

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
On-board sound is not good. You should use your sound card as a DAC or get an external DAC. Maybe the ODAC :p

+1 on this

On-board sound is what got me interested in external DAC units.  I have not looked back since.  USB playback is excellent because it can have extremely low noise, low distortion, and hardly any jitter.  These factors combined make it nearly impossible to tell lossless from CD even through a decent transport when using a good external USB DAC.

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
+1 on this

On-board sound is what got me interested in external DAC units.  I have not looked back since.  USB playback is excellent because it can have extremely low noise, low distortion, and hardly any jitter.  These factors combined make it nearly impossible to tell lossless between CD even through a decent transport when using a good external USB DAC.

Is it possible to tell lossless from cd? I doubt. Even 320 kbit/s vs cd would be very hard

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #7 of 10
so my best bet would be the O2+Odac combo from JDS Labs. How would I be able to switch from Headphones to speakers?. Would I use the onboard sound card for the speakers and use the USB setup for headphones?.

Jan 17, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #8 of 10
Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card, $70 (same audio processor as the Essence STX)
Schiit Magni headphone amplifier, $99.
Connect the Xonar to the computer case's front panel headphone jack and plug the Magni into it.
Connect the speakers to the Xonar's back panel.

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #9 of 10
I have the same set up with OP, the Xonar STX is an amazing sound card, drove the DT 990 600ohm just fine, although I did have some issue while I was setting it up, but it was my fault.(defective molex connector)

I say give ASUS another try, and save that money.

Jan 31, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #10 of 10
Schiit Asgard. It drives my DT990 better than all of my other amps, including those costing 5x as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back