Newbie Question - Do Grado's make noise to the outside world?
Jan 25, 2011 at 12:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

New Head-Fier
I'm about to purchase my first set of real headphones - 
i have some livewires but now i need something else...
I watched a review on youtube for some Grados and one of the reviewers said
because there is no cover on the outside grill, to the outside world the music
you are listening to is very loud. Is this true? I surely hope not...
I've narrowed it down to Grados, Ultrasone, Beyers, AKG and Grados were
at the top of my list....how loud will these babies sound outside the phones?

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #2 of 17
Yes, they let a great deal of sound out.  If you were listening at what I would consider a moderate volume others in a quiet room would not only hear the music, but understand the lyrics if there are any.

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #3 of 17
Grados leak sound like crazy, moreso than any other headphone brand I've used.

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 17
they fill leak enough sound at a loud volume and even a moderate volume, enough that everyone around can hear what your listening to.

Jan 25, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #5 of 17
Ditto to everything said. On the plus side, they make terrific little speakers if you need them.

Jan 25, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #7 of 17
im sad you ruled them out for that. use them for home listening. and buy iems for the road.

Jan 25, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #8 of 17
well i have a pair of livewires.....but i also have a couple dogs who are absolute babies and don't like music. it is sad though, those were up top...i've been online for weeks doing "research"...and now im back at square one.

Jan 25, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #9 of 17
yes, the Grado's are the most open headphones I've had, by far. Love them though, but can't even use them in our living room if the wife is watching tv

OP, if you want some headphone choice advise, please state your budget, the kind of music you listen to and other things you find important, except for that it's closed

welcome, may you have a good hunt:)

Jan 25, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #11 of 17
Pretty much this, not that Grado's are a bad at all, in fact I love my SR80i's, but use outside of my house is pretty much out of the questions because the leak sound out AND in. Also agree with not all open cans being like that, I had some HD595's that didn't leak unless they were really cranked up and the same can be said for my DT990's. 

Quote:
There are open headphones. Then there are Grados. My HD650 can only be heard at loud volumes. Keep them moderately loud, and they won't leak too much. Grados on the other hand...

Jan 25, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #12 of 17
well I am looking for a few things in my purchase - 
1. Sound - I am looking for something that sounds good for my "lowercase" genre listening. i.e. Bernhard Gunter, Francisco Lopez, Alva Noto, etc. 
For those unfamiliar please listen to this youtube clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXfek1kUpv0
2. Size - I prefer a headphone, not an earphone. Something comfy.
3. Field Recordings - somewhat durable. I make field recordings so I want something that will work for this in all aspects, whatever that may be.
4. Looks. Not into the new flashy look like the carbon fibre cans or the fancy look like the wooded grados. I don't want childish - I want mature audiophile! And yes, those huge cans
do look dorky.....but overall, the most important thing is the sound.
5. Closed would be nicer as I can listen without worry for people and places.

My budget is up to or around 400 bucks. Cheaper is fine too. Any help will be appreciated. 

Jan 25, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #13 of 17
Thats the trade-off,most great sounding can will leak sound, none more so than grados,also all the mid to high end Denons do and Sennheiser though only slightly , I would not swop any of the aforementioned though as they all have a great sound signature that is quite unique.
Fostex T50RP are a quality full sized headphone although they are semi-open but after performing a simple mod , do not leak sound at all,good old portapros have very little leakage and IEMS are all fine if you can bear plugging your ears up for hours.

Jan 25, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #15 of 17
Denon D2000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back