Newbie needs advice
Oct 16, 2011 at 1:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Koobers

New Head-Fier
Okay so I'd like to buy some headphones but I don't even know where to start with all the choices that exist. I own a pair of Bose TriPorts (that I won) that are unfortunately the nicest pair of headphones I own. I'd like to change that though which is why I'm here. I only have the ability to listen to music on an iPhone, iPad, and an iPod Classic. I recently picked up a FiiO L11 and a FiiO L9 LOD which make the TriPorts sound better but I know that I'd have much more potential with a better set of headphones, I just don't know what would be best for my listening style/tastes. Unfortunately I don't know of anywhere that I could go locally to audition headphones.

I listen to a range of music from Indie bands to Altnative to Rock to Electronic, to older stuff and Soundtracks I don't listen to Hip hop. Some of the bands I like are Two Door Cinema Club, Young the Giant, Freelance Whales, Ben Folds/Five, Third Eye Blind, Incubus, Bloc Party, Daft Punk just to name a few. I like John Williams and some Classical music and older stuff like The Dramatics, Jimi Hendrix, and Chicago.

I prefer over the ear headphones, I own a pair of Shure E2c (which I also won) but I don't use them because I find in-ear setups to be highly uncomfortable. I do like the overall size of my TriPorts, they are pretty light and that makes them comfortable for long periods of time. I would be willing to try on ear headphones but would prefer to have over the ear so that others don't have to hear what I'm listening to. I would prefer not to have a massively large pair if I can avoid it but as long as they were comfortable and produced a better sound I'm sure I could get over the size thing. Being somewhat portable would be nice though. I want a pair that is well balanced with good highs and mids but they don't have to be heavy on bass as long as they provide a good overall balance. I don't need Hip Hop kind of bass I just need it to sound good for the electronic stuff like Daft Punk, U.N.K.L.E., Crystal Castles and LCD Sound-system.

As far as price is concerned, I don't want to spend over $250. Please help me to find something that fits within these criteria, I have no brand preference but want to get the best quality setup for the money.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back