Newbie looking for headphones just tried the Soul SL150/SL300, AH-D2000 & Sony XB300/500/1000
Jul 14, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #17 of 36
Oh your also from Hong Kong!
Mingo Amp2 from the reviews is a very warm amp with less details and treble extension. I actually want to try the Soul series and see how they are. Because, even though there are all the bashing about bose, when I tried one on, the sound was actually very pleasant (besides the headache I got from the noise cancelling, and obviously, my W5000s are better). So I want to see how the SL series compare :)

Congratz on your new purchase by the way.

Jul 14, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #18 of 36
You really can't judge if you like something or not with a ten minute listen 
rolleyes.gif

I didn't really like the FX700 in the first ten minutes of getting them. Would you like to know why? It's because I had to adjust to the new sound of the FX700. It wasn't until a few hours in that I found them to be the best IEM I have ever heard.

Also, have you heard any top-tier IEM? I'm not even saying $250+ IEM; there are some IEM that are $150 and are considered top-tier (EX600, GR07, DBA-02, etc.) or at least close to top-tier. You saying you have tried "numerous in ears" and stating that you like the Beats Tour, that's what I'm assuming you meant, above everything else just shows you haven't had the chance to try any good IEM...

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #19 of 36
I haven't purchased anything yet guys.

First of all, I'm new to this, I thought I made that abundantly clear in the thread title. I'm not under any sort of illusion, lol.

Secondly, of course I know you can't judge headphones after ten minutes, you only get a teaser. But then what am I supposed to do, I had to try around 20+ headphones in the space of a few hours. That's where all you fine folks come in and to the whole point of my thread.

The shop keeper handpicked nearly half a dozen top tier IEM's headphones and I simply found the more expensive, the less bass. Are there any top tier bass heavy IEM's? I asked the guy for bass heavy phones, so I'm guessing he let me try those.

Having said that, I know what I like. I listen to music all day, every day and am an avid drummer. If a certain pair of headphones can't woo me in ten minutes, I have little faith it will do so over time. Sure I could adjust to the sound, but I'm no audiophile and in no position to be able to spend a lengthened amount of time searching for such headphones.

It's a simple case of see ball, hit ball. If you can amaze me in ten minutes, you will probably suit me just fine.

Just my honest opinion.
popcorn.gif

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #20 of 36
The thing is barely any one here has even heard the Souls so its going to be difficult to suggest similar sounding cans. The D2000s definitely aren't for everyone though. While I agree with the others that 10 minutes is just not enough. You don't have to adjust but 10 minutes isn't even time to really hear it imho. But you already explained your situation. 

However if I'm going to spend near $600, best believe I'm spending a lengthened amount of time carefully choosing what I buy! But I'm a student and money can be tight. I just think you can do a lot better for that much money, especially since you're considering an amp.  

I'm just going to throw some suggestions for headphones: Denon D2000 this time with an amp lol, Beyerdynamic DT770, Ultrasone HFI780. Again I haven't heard the Souls so I cant really compare the cans I mentioned to them. :/

Jul 14, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #21 of 36
If your going to use an amp, then you shouldn't get an noise cancelling headphone...

Jul 14, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #22 of 36
Noted Hester, thanks. 

I instantly fell in love with the S300's before using the amp and already made my rather limited opinion then that I felt they sounded better than anything I had tried previously. The amp just nailed it for me, but I have already made a plan to go back and test the D2000, GT770 and HFI780 with the same amp. Hopefully someone has them in stock. 

Can I ask why shouldn't you use an amp with noise cancelling? That setup sounded perfect to me.

Jul 14, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #23 of 36
I have heard one of the Soul models, the smaller Beats Solo-ish thing. Im not sure if its the 150 or the 300 but I was **** impressed as they blow the beats away.

They are way sturdier than the plastic Beats headband as well and I would say they are the Beats "done right". 

Stop being too skeptical and try them out for yourself. I'd rather see the Soul line getting popularized than Beats

Jul 14, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #24 of 36
Well the thing is that you may have found the headphone with your preferred sound signature which is often more important than what it costs but since pretty much no1 around here has experience with the Soul-line it's really impossible to recommend something with similar signature. Sometimes 10 mins can be enough if it happens to have the sound signature you're looking for for sure, it's happened to me with XB500, the first 1 min I heard it was roughly what I was looking for.

I really personally think that the first impressions are often rather important as if you wait and wasn't immediatly satisfied it may not be exactly what you were looking for but if you give it time you adjust your preference slightly and might not in reality be as satisfying as a headphone that just feels right from the start. Take for example a basshead. If he just forces himself to listen to a more basshy headphone for a week or so, towards the end of the week it'll start sounding a lot more acceptable when you get used to that sound but then if you switch back to your bassy headphone again the basshead will probably feel like how could he even concider NOT having all that lovely bass and immediatly feel a lot more satisfied again.

Well just trying to say, if you immediatly liked it then go for it, it's most likely the sound signature you're personally preferring and sometimes it can be very tricky for a newcomer to this business to even find that optimal sound and may have to go through lots of headphones to find it so concider yourself lucky in that perspective.

Jul 14, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #25 of 36
turnjet..may i know where do you audition these gears?? is it in mingo?? i'm in HK too btw.. oh, and if you really...really... want to buy those soul headphones, maybe just buy them first without the amps and cables.. make sure you really love them in the long term and that you know your preferred signature..

Jul 15, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #27 of 36
Thanks for the lengthy and informative post RPG, appreciate the wise words.

redwarrior, I went the Wan Chai's Computer Center and there are about 5 or 6 headphone shops there including Mingo. You are right, as soon as I heard the amp my jaw dropped. I nearly coughed up the cash there and then. Now I've had time to reflect, I'm hoping I can find something even better. Gonna be tough to beat though with my heart set on that exact sound now.

Nice review, thanks for the heads up Hester. The review said the SL150 sound seemed cluttered due to the bass which goes with my sentiments of the bass being muddy earlier. They gave it an 8 out of 10 for sound. I'd go with that and say the SL300 were a definite 9.

The SL300 review should be coming soon.  =) 

Jul 15, 2011 at 6:16 AM Post #28 of 36
Eh...
You will probably not listen to advice (I certainly did not when I should have), but with that kind of budget, I would do some more in depth research. Head over to Mingo's main shop in Mong Kok and give other cans a listen. And IMO, amps and cables should not be considered at this point, they are only for refining the sound signature of a headphone you already have and like more to your preference. Sure, it is new and shiny, but mind that it takes time to appreciate high end sound and in your position (of course I'm assuming, but I guess you haven't been in this hobby for long if you are comparing 300HKD Panasonics to D2000, not trying to sound snobbish or anything xD), I don't think it is necessary for you to go over $200.
Also, if you do want to spend $600, if you don't mind speakers, why not go for a nice set of active 2.0 or 2.1 speakers? At that price point, speakers start to outperform headphones for value IMO. Not to mention that most music is meant to be played on speakers anyway and speakers are at the moment less susceptible to marketing schemes and give you more bass (and you won't have to hassle with different sound signatures of headphones, most of which will not satisfy you in terms of bass quantity).

Jul 15, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #29 of 36
Thanks feNcheL for the great response.

I didn't know Mingo's has a main shop, I will certainly check that out. I agree with you that I should hold out on the amp and cable till I figure out what headphones I want.

I currently have a Cambridge A5 amp and Eltax III monitors, so want the headphones to stop the wife pestering me to turn them down.

Dec 31, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #30 of 36
Bumping an old thread:

-Drops the D2K's (good place to start)
-Drops the XB300's (how do they even compete in anyway to the d2k's??)
-Hears the Xb500's finds them muddy (agree to a certain point, but you wanted bass, this slams you in the face with bass)
-Then goes to the XB1k's and hates them (no comment...)
-Finds some beats and some SOUL's and falls in love. (seriously no comment)

beats + souls > d2k's, xb1k's, xb500's? 
Thank you this made my new years day! :D

Each to their own I guess...lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back