Newbie here, AKG Q701 questions.
Nov 15, 2012 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Jacked92

New Head-Fier
So I've managed to come across a pair of AKG Q701s, and know nothing about audio for computer setups.
I am aware that my motherboard supports 7.1 surround sound, although I'm not sure it does for headphones.

My question is what hardware do I need to get the most out of these headphones? I will use them mostly for gaming. Is a new sound card and an amp necessary? After browsing the forums a bit I've come to learn these may need an extra kick for the best sound.

Thanks.

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #2 of 10
I am in the same boat as you!  I am a newby myself but I've been reading a lot on the forums and other websites.   I ordered my Q701 and should be getting it by Monday.  I looked at Astro a50 , Sennheiser PC 363D and Beyerdynamic MMX 300.  MMX 300 was too expensive, PC 363D was tempting and Astro would be great if they would sell their Mixamp 5.8 or Pro separately in the US.  I ended up getting the Q701 because it got a huge soundstage and I found it was a great bargain for $224.  

It is recommended that you use an amp with your Q701.  Without an amp, you won't do your Q701 justice!  I bought a highly regard portable amp from Meier (2STEPDANCE).  I don't know your price range but for $144, O2 by JDS Labs is also very good.  You may also check out Total AirHead amp since it's half off at $49!   I wouldn't recommend you buy an amp/DAC combo because you wouldn't get the "7.1 surround sound" through  3D audio virtualization like Dolby Headphone or CMSS 3D.  The amp/DAC combo would bypass your pc's internal soundcard. 

There are Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi, Asus Xonar and Turtle Beach DDS2 but I think they are inferior to stand alone amp.  These external game sound cards give you lots of features for your money but it won't sound as great as a dedicated headphone amp.  I am not sure what kind of soundcard you have in your pc but I personally would invest a better amp and headphone than a game-oriented equipments.  I assume you got the Q701 because you like audiophile grade quality sounds. As for me, I am not just a gamer, I like to listen to high quality music.  That's why I bought the Q701.  If I was a gamer only, I would be happy with the Logitech G930.

Anyway,  I was thinking to get a separate DAC unit so that I could listen to high fidelity music whenever I like.  For surround sound experience, I would hooked the amp directly to the PC for games and movies.  For high-fidelity music and non-surround sound applications, I would connect the pc to the dac and the dac to the amp and amp to the Q701.  The DAC I am leaning toward is CEntrace DACport LX but I am also considering the Audioquest DragonFly. I use my computer for everything especially for movies, games, and music! 

I hope I help you somewhat.  Let me know what you come up.  I could use a few advices...   :)

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 10
Hey thanks a lot for the reply.

So just purchasing an amp alone would be sufficient in getting the high quality surround sound out of the Q701 headphones? I will have to do some research on a good one for myself. Would like to spend under $100 if possible.

Thanks again for the response.

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 10
Yes, a headphone amp is highly recommended for the Q701!  You can get away without an amp but it won't sound as nice.   For under $100, check out Fiio headphone amps.  You would get a lot for your money with their products.  Also check out Headroom Total Airhead since they are clearing out their inventory for half price at $49.  Good luck!

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
So just purchasing an amp alone would be sufficient in getting the high quality surround sound out of the Q701 headphones? I will have to do some research on a good one for myself. Would like to spend under $100 if possible.

What is the make and model of the motherboard?
The Asus Xonar Essence STX ($172 plus shipping) sound card, comes with a nice DAC and built in headphone amplifier that can easily drive your 62-Ohm Q701s

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #6 of 10
My motherboard is ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 which is Realtek ALC892. Not sure if that's decent or terrible. I was looking at the fiio e9 amp possibly. Would that be decent enough for the Q701s?

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
My motherboard is ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 which is Realtek ALC892. Not sure if that's decent or terrible. I was looking at the Fiio E9 amp possibly. Would that be decent enough for the Q701s?

For the price, the Fiio E9 is a good value and can easily drive the Q701s.
The motherboard's built in audio features (THX TrueStudio) seems to be decent (for a motherboard's built in audio).
Have you tried the Q701 plugged straight into the motherboard's line-out/headphone jack (green), see how it sounds?
How about updating to the latest audio software for your motherboard, latest from Asrock is Augest/2011.
Realtek website should have a later version.

If you get an external DAC (with optical input) and headphone amplifier,
you can plug it straight into the motherboard's optical output and still use the audio features from the built in audio.

So there are a few options, just depends on your budget.

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 10
Are you really going to be critical with your music? Since your primary use is gaming, why not consider a sound card?

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
Are you really going to be critical with your music? Since your primary use is gaming, why not consider a sound card?

I won't be too critical with music. A lot of the sound cards I was looking at were around the same price as the fiio e9, so i figured it would be an easier setup. Also was not sure on the quality a sound card could provide within that budget.

^^PurpleAngel thanks for the informative posts

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
I won't be too critical with music. A lot of the sound cards I was looking at were around the same price as the fiio e9, so i figured it would be an easier setup. Also was not sure on the quality a sound card could provide within that budget.

^^PurpleAngel thanks for the informative posts

Slightly lower in quality, maybe, but are there any dsp effects your games use? If yes, it makes sense to get a soundcard, otherwise a DAC as purpleAngel said will work fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back