NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Dec 29, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #2,551 of 4,971
I saw (who I think is) an official spokesman for Schiit on this thread say it wouldn't effect the warranty if it was opened but am weary on a straight return. I saw about the foam but couldn't find exactly how to fix it ect also. This post is deep and hard to dig through. Should I try to correct it? Personally I would much rather fix it than return it.

Really easy to check. 4 screws. Cover comes off easily. Just ensure the tubes are pressed down. Use your fingers. I also had a capacitor that was bent. Don't know why. So I straightened it.

Dec 29, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #2,552 of 4,971
Thanks to all for the support! I have been in contact with Schiit and so far have had excellent customer service. I thi k I will unscrew my case and peep inside real fast to see what is in there. They said this would not violate the warranty so what do I really have to lose?

Dec 29, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #2,554 of 4,971
  Looks promising Wayne. What are the results? Any improvement? 

In my case, not really.  My desk is a couple of hundred pounds and doesn't move.  However, I think it would work good for those who have a keyboard close to their amp or other such situations.  

I'm going to buy up some more of these when I do the full heat pump swap in the attic coming up.   We could probably market these as high-end sound stoppers, too.  A buck a piece ... probably some die hard audiophiles willing to pay $50 or more each to have better isolation.

There are times when I like the Vali, yet with the DT-888, it needs a bit EQ adjustment to bring the upper frequencies down a bit.  The Matrix M-Stage seems a bit closer to neutral in that regard.  But, I still can't get over the quality of bass from the Vali.  Applying some EQ based on the headphones I use with the Vali isn't too much of a hassle as Foobar permits one to save pre-sets.

Dec 29, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #2,555 of 4,971

In my case, not really.  My desk is a couple of hundred pounds and doesn't move.  However, I think it would work good for those who have a keyboard close to their amp or other such situations.  

I'm going to buy up some more of these when I do the full heat pump swap in the attic coming up.   We could probably market these as high-end sound stoppers, too.  A buck a piece ... probably some die hard audiophiles willing to pay $50 or more each to have better isolation.

There are times when I like the Vali, yet with the DT-888, it needs a bit EQ adjustment to bring the upper frequencies down a bit.  The Matrix M-Stage seems a bit closer to neutral in that regard.  But, I still can't get over the quality of bass from the Vali.  Applying some EQ based on the headphones I use with the Vali isn't too much of a hassle as Foobar permits one to save pre-sets.

Indeed... I use a little bit of PEQ to bring down the area around 6khz, even with the anax 2.0 mod. The Vali is on the bright side after all.

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #2,556 of 4,971

What do you mean when you say, "I still can't get over the quality of bass from the Vali?" Is it a good thing or bad thing?

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #2,559 of 4,971
Really easy to check. 4 screws. Cover comes off easily. Just ensure the tubes are pressed down. Use your fingers. I also had a capacitor that was bent. Don't know why. So I straightened it.

A bent cap isn't a deal breaker.  That can happen virtually in any piece of electronics.  I'd be more worried about cold solder joints than a slightly bent cap.

is it sibilant on bright headphones ? (its a tube amp after all)

It can depend on your headphones.  I wouldn't use the word sibilant.  Sibiliance tends to be more of an issue with female vocals and I've really never had an amp or DAC that made the issue worse.  If it's the headphone, even using the EQ to correct that issue can be hard to fully resolve.

The Vali has a nice frequency range to it.  Most people tend to think tubes are a warmer sounding device.  Yet, there are many variables involved - including op-amps, etc. if they are present.

Dec 30, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #2,561 of 4,971

is it sibilant on bright headphones ? (its a tube amp after all)

Like Wje said, it mainly depends on the headphones used. The vali doesn't do anything to make it better or worse. 

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #2,563 of 4,971

Yes.  A good thing.  Quite a good thing.

mmmm...that's great to hear. So suprisingly the mad dogs are being delivered today, and I ordered on the 27th with the lowest shipping option. *dances happily inside*
But I have canceled my Schiit modi/magni order because I want to get more research done; I hate returning and the 15% restocking fee+shipping ehhh. I want to listen to the mad dogs for a good amount, and will try to go from there...
I have my DAC choice (modi) but my amp choices are still the magni vali and o2...Some say that since the Dogs are warm and got good "synergy"( I guess good pairing?) with the said-to-be bright magni. but I'm coming off the bass heavy Beats Studios so I would like to gain a bit more bass with the dogs.
Oh boy...Gotta make up my mind..

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #2,564 of 4,971
Question how long do triodes last? I remember a old tube tv my aunt had that required frequent changes of the tubes.  Also comparing this to say the magni for a 20 buck difference is it worth it? Im kinda stuck between the magni, and the vali. for say nightwish, kamelot, edenbridge, etc as my main music type being fed to tp50rp's, beyer dt 990 pros and akg k701, which might be better overall?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back