NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Dec 18, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #2,326 of 4,971
  I'm loving my Vali, but it's just really a b1tch to unplug the 2 RCA cables from my sound card to reconnect my desktop speaker cables every time I don't want to use my HP's.

To get pre-outs I pretty much have to upgrade to Lyr, which would be another $300.

I'm thinking of trying out a Fiio E09K, since that has a pre-amp out and it's pretty affordable. Will I notice a significant deterioration of SQ from the Vali to the E09k, using my HD650's?

Also, is there a way to get pre-outs via another source besides an amp unit... like something that can be used with a Vali?

I'm in the same situation except I went from the E09k to the Vali. I was looking into splitters as well, but found a simple solution if your speakers have it. What I did was use the RCA outs from my soundcard (Titanium HD) to the Vali and used a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable to connect my speakers from the headphone out jack of the titanium HD using the AUX in on the speakers. If your speakers support a 3.5mm aux in you can try that. Or you can go with a 3.5mm to RCA cable and connect the 3.5mm end of the cable to your headphone out of your soundcard, and the RCA ends of the cable to the RCA inputs of the Vali with a cable like this http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815&p_id=5597&seq=1&format=2 then you can use the RCA outs of your soundcard for your speakers.

Keep in mind I do not know what type of soundcard you are using or if using your headphone out jack to the Vali would make any difference in audio quality. Just some suggestions if you do not want to go the splitter route.

P.S. The FiiO E09K is actually a pretty good solid state amp for the price IMO. Sounded good with my HD650's

Dec 18, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #2,328 of 4,971

I'm in the same situation except I went from the E09k to the Vali. I was looking into splitters as well, but found a simple solution if your speakers have it. What I did was use the RCA outs from my soundcard (Titanium HD) to the Vali and used a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable to connect my speakers from the headphone out jack of the titanium HD using the AUX in on the speakers. If your speakers support a 3.5mm aux in you can try that. Or you can go with a 3.5mm to RCA cable and connect the 3.5mm end of the cable to your headphone out of your soundcard, and the RCA ends of the cable to the RCA inputs of the Vali with a cable like this http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815&p_id=5597&seq=1&format=2 then you can use the RCA outs of your soundcard for your speakers.

Keep in mind I do not know what type of soundcard you are using or if using your headphone out jack to the Vali would make any difference in audio quality. Just some suggestions if you do not want to go the splitter route.

P.S. The FiiO E09K is actually a pretty good solid state amp for the price IMO. Sounded good with my HD650's

the e09k has a pre-out, and a fixed line out, when i had the fiio, i had the pre outs going to my speakers, and the line out fed a little dot 1+, worked great, no wires to change when going between speakers and headphones, so you effectively have a solid state headphone amp, with two gain settings, a pre controlling your speakers, and the line out to a tube amp

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #2,329 of 4,971
  the e09k has a pre-out, and a fixed line out, when i had the fiio, i had the pre outs going to my speakers, and the line out fed a little dot 1+, worked great, no wires to change when going between speakers and headphones, so you effectively have a solid state headphone amp, with two gain settings, a pre controlling your speakers, and the line out to a tube amp

YO dude your almost to one year :D 

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #2,330 of 4,971
  YO dude your almost to one year :D 

wow, hadn't thought about it, time flies !!   
gs1000.gif
  i've come a long way, when i just saw your post, i was listening to this with my wadia 121-->vali--> LCD2.2's !

Dec 18, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #2,331 of 4,971
I noticed with the Schiit Vali that even when it is turned off, the power supply (the plug that goes into the outlet) stays warm even with the unit turned off. Is this normal and if it is, why would the plug be warm even with the Vali turned off?

Dec 19, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #2,332 of 4,971

ABSOLUTELY PURE GENIUS! I can't believe I never thought of this idea before, and since I have to use a Y-splitter to connect my 3.5mm desktop speaker aux cable to my 2 RCA line-out on the Titanium HD anyway, now I can just plug the 3.5mm plug directly into the headphone jack.

Man this way works better than even splitting the 2 RCA plugs into my amp and speakers, possibly avoiding any kind of SQ degradation (will there be any?)

Is there any difference in SQ from the desktop speakers using the headphone jack vs the line-out jack? Do they use the same DAC (I'm assuming yes)? I may have noticed the sound coming out of the speakers more "closed in" than before, perhaps it's my imagination?

Dec 19, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #2,333 of 4,971
I haven't noticed a difference in sound quality from my speakers using the headphone jack vs using the line outs via RCA. I am using Creative Gigaworks T3 speakers. I assume the signal is the same coming from the headphone out as the line outs except it is a stereo signal vs the line outs which are separate left and right channels. If your speakers are powered, then the sound quality should be the same and the power would be coming from your speakers built-in amp.  And yes I believe they use the same DAC. I believe the Titanium HD's DAC is only bypassed when using the optical out.

But with using the cable I linked to above, the 3.5mm end of the cable will transmit the stereo signal from the headphone out and split it into the left and right channels of the RCA ends of the cable to left and right channels respectively to your speakers.

Like I said, I haven't personally noticed any difference in SQ at all using this method.

Dec 19, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #2,334 of 4,971
  I haven't noticed a difference in sound quality from my speakers using the headphone jack vs using the line outs via RCA. I am using Creative Gigaworks T3 speakers. I assume the signal is the same coming from the headphone out as the line outs except it is a stereo signal vs the line outs which are separate left and right channels. If your speakers are powered, then the sound quality should be the same and the power would be coming from your speakers built-in amp.  And yes I believe they use the same DAC. I believe the Titanium HD's DAC is only bypassed when using the optical out.

But with using the cable I linked to above, the 3.5mm end of the cable will transmit the stereo signal from the headphone out and split it into the left and right channels of the RCA ends of the cable to left and right channels respectively to your speakers.

Like I said, I haven't personally noticed any difference in SQ at all using this method.

Just noticed your sig... pretty much exactly the same setup as mine, as I will be returning the Magni and keeping the Vali. I'm using Klipsch iFi desktop 2.1 speakers, which are self-powered. I originally bought these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DL2OVE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 x2

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005QXXM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 x1

to basically hook up both the desktop speakers and amp together. I mean, if there's no loss in SQ with connecting the speakers directly to the headphone out jack there's no point of spending money on these cables and risking lower amp signal from splitting the line-out.

Any recommendations on RCA cables that you use? I bought monoprice ones originally, but the gold plated connectors were very poorly made and I have a hard time connecting to the RCA line-out on the Titanium HD. I then bought the acoustic research ones linked above, but then read about blue jeans cables. A 6 feet BJC RCA stereo cable with the flex jacket will cost me around $42... not sure if it's worth the cost.

Dec 19, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #2,335 of 4,971
  Just noticed your sig... pretty much exactly the same setup as mine, as I will be returning the Magni and keeping the Vali. I'm using Klipsch iFi desktop 2.1 speakers, which are self-powered. I originally bought these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DL2OVE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 x2

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005QXXM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 x1

to basically hook up both the desktop speakers and amp together. I mean, if there's no loss in SQ with connecting the speakers directly to the headphone out jack there's no point of spending money on these cables and risking lower amp signal from splitting the line-out.

Any recommendations on RCA cables that you use? I bought monoprice ones originally, but the gold plated connectors were very poorly made and I have a hard time connecting to the RCA line-out on the Titanium HD. I then bought the acoustic research ones linked above, but then read about blue jeans cables. A 6 feet BJC RCA stereo cable with the flex jacket will cost me around $42... not sure if it's worth the cost.

Well to be honest, I am not an expert when it comes to cables. I have a low to mid-grade set of RCA cables that I use to connect the Vali to the Titanium HD's Line-Out RCA jacks with this cable http://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-Go-45428-Sonicwave/dp/B0009JR3RA/ref=sr_1_9?s=audio-video-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1387437475&sr=1-9&keywords=rca+audio+cables

As far as the stereo 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable, honestly I just use a cheap Radioshack cable I had lying around with my other cables and it works fine. I am sure you can get better stereo 3.5mm to 3.5mm cables if you want for better quality, but the cheap Radio Shack cable works fine for me. This one looks nice http://www.amazon.com/KabelDirekt-Stereo-Audio-Cable-3-5mm/dp/B00DI88X32/ref=sr_1_56?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1387438627&sr=1-56&keywords=3.5mm+audio+cable

If you're interested in mid-grade or high-grade cables, I am sure there are a lot of members here that know a lot more about cables than I do.

As to not get off-topic with the Vali thread, you are more than welcome to PM me anytime to discuss your Titanium HD/Vali/Desktop Speaker setup and I'll gladly help you the best that I can.

What I do is, when I am using my desktop speakers, I change the speaker output to 2.1 speakers in the creative console launcher and you can tell the difference even when using the headphone jack connected to your desktop speakers with a stereo 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable, but if you want to get a good 3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo cable or RCA cables you can ask for suggestions from more experienced members with more knowledge than me on cables.

Dec 19, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #2,336 of 4,971
  I noticed with the Schiit Vali that even when it is turned off, the power supply (the plug that goes into the outlet) stays warm even with the unit turned off. Is this normal and if it is, why would the plug be warm even with the Vali turned off?

I would imagine this is true of most, if not all, of those devices that use those "wall wart" power supplies. The power switch is in the device being powered (the Vali in this case), and not in the power supply itself (the wall wart).

Whether any power supply remains warm with the thing it's powering turned off, depends on where in the circuit that power is turned on and off. There is power being supplied to your Vali whether it is actively on or not. That's because the power supply is an external unit, and there is nothing controlling it from within the Vali. So whether your Vali is using the electricity being supplied to it or not, the power supply is still converting wall current into whatever voltage the Vali needs. And yes, that means it's still drawing power, and your electric bill is going up, ever so slightly, with the Vali off.

To give a different example, suppose we were discussing a large home theater amplifier unit. Most of those have a power cord that plugs into the wall, and the power supply resides within the amplifier itself. A power supply is basically a large transformer with one side connected to the wall current, and the other side to a rectifier and filter capacitors, then the unit being powered. If you interrupt the wall current on the AC side of the transformer, then there will not be any power drawn to the unit while it is off. However, to accomplish that, you need a good sized relay that can withstand 120 or 220 volts (depending on your country), plus whatever current the transformer draws. That's a pretty good size device. If however, you are controlling power to the unit on the other side of the transformer (the device being powered), then you might not need such a large relay to switch power. A smaller relay means a cheaper device. However, it also means that you're paying to power the thing even when it's off.

Every wall wart in your home is warm, whether the thing its powering is on or not (if that's any consolation). It's not just your Vali. It could just as easily be your Magni, or your computer speakers, or your DAC, or your telephone, answering machine, portable TV, the list is probably endless.

One solution to this issue is to plug your wall warts into a power strip, and turn the power strip off when you're not using your devices. Then there won't be any "current vampires" robbing you of electricity.

With today's electronic power meters on your house, it's really easy to see this happening. Go away for a weekend and turn everything off in your home. You'll be able to still see power being used, constantly. That little power draw is the sum total of all of those wall warts, or other devices in your home, that were designed to keep drawing power from the wall socket, even with the device turned off. This can be a substantial drain if you have a spouse, children, and all of you own a shopping cart full of electronic devices.

For an even more interesting experiment, instead of just turning everything off, unplug everything from every wall socket in your house, and then go away for another weekend, and then examine your power drain at the local power company's website. You should see no power draw (and if you do, call an electrician, there's something wrong).

Dec 20, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #2,339 of 4,971
I am not sure how it will sound with your cans, but I know it sounds good with my Titanium HD and Sennheiser HD650's
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back