NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Nov 29, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #1,186 of 4,971
  I'm hoping to do that comparison this weekend - I want to let the Vali reach the burn-in recommended by Schiit before I do a comparison, that's only fair.

I did upgrade the power source slightly to the other wall adapter sold by Bellari, it makes a small difference.  The use of a single 12AX7 tube in the Bellari made for an easy and fun way to try tube rolling for the first time - the summary is that I found 1960s German (Telefunken,Siemens) and British (Mullard) to be the best for the music I prefer (where imaging and micro-detail are important).  The Bellari HA-540 thread has a longer tube comparison.

Yeah,  I keep it around for a bedside rig, I also use a Telefunkin/RTC Mullard gold pin pending on the music. I was just looking for a smaller amp to throw in the drawer rather then leave it out.

Nov 29, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #1,187 of 4,971
Quote:
  ...The initial review is that it's "the best amp under $1650.00!!!" from another old member I really trust.  ...

Wow, that's a pretty strong endorsement. Looking forward to hearing from folks who get to spend a bit of quality time with one, and getting some impressions and/or comparisons...

Come on, don't keep us in suspense! :)

Nov 29, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #1,188 of 4,971

Wow, that's a pretty strong endorsement. Looking forward to hearing from folks who get to spend a bit of quality time with one, and getting some impressions and/or comparisons...

Come on, don't keep us in suspense! :)

Welp some one confirmed it was loud >.> with a lot of mirco phonics >.> hoping some one will try with an Audio TEchnica can and see how it fares! 

Nov 29, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #1,189 of 4,971
  Got mine today, and it sounds fine with my HD650. Sadly the noise floor is to loud to use with anything else I own. In the end the right channel is crazy microphonic. Even just touching the volume control makes it ring quite loudly. Having it on the table top of my slightly shaky table and typing on the laptop makes is resonate as well...
The left channel is pretty quiet unless a really tap the top of the amp, it seems the left channel resonates at about 4 times the frequency of the right channel.

Maybe a defect? Gosh I hope it is and you can get that worked out. This is a far cry from the experience I've had with the vali + a variety of devices.

Nov 29, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #1,190 of 4,971
  Maybe a defect? Gosh I hope it is and you can get that worked out. This is a far cry from the experience I've had in a variety of devices.

Yea... that does sound a little to funny... I hope it is a defect! I don't doubt it's noisy but MAJOR NOISE in one side >.> better get yo schiit checked! 

Nov 29, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #1,191 of 4,971
I've seen another report that typing on the same desk as the amp makes it ring, that too on a slightly unstable table. Unfortunately I think this something to expect. Schiit tells u to wait 60 seconds, some of us are bound to get noisy units that takes longer.

Using my re-400 the ringing barely ever stops, but it's just too noisy for me anyways. I'm used to the O2 noise floor though.

Nov 29, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #1,192 of 4,971
  Got mine today, and it sounds fine with my HD650. Sadly the noise floor is to loud to use with anything else I own. In the end the right channel is crazy microphonic. Even just touching the volume control makes it ring quite loudly. Having it on the table top of my slightly shaky table and typing on the laptop makes is resonate as well...
The left channel is pretty quiet unless a really tap the top of the amp, it seems the left channel resonates at about 4 times the frequency of the right channel.

This is similar to my experience - I didn't mention it because it was reported by the beta tester impressions in the thread, and Schiit acknowledges it in their posts and in the literature.

This is why MattTCG mentioned he was building something to hold the amp.  You definitely cannot touch it while listening, although I can get away with turning the volume knob on mine.

I'll see whether burn-in makes any difference.

Nov 29, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #1,193 of 4,971
I got it in today one day earlier.
Tried it first with my favorite Koss Pro DJ100 with M50 pads since it's my favorite headphone. It's 38ohm! This headphone doesn't care about a higher output impedance at all.
Sounds mostly normal with maybe some slight low mid emphasis (or maybe not). The bass is very, very good. Don't know why, but apparently the DJ100 likes this amp. Sounds like it has better bass than the Magni.
When paused there is some noise, but barely audible.
Doesn't seem to be making the DJ100 any warmer. About the same it always is with a good amp.
So far it sounds pretty clear too.
Right now it doesn't sound entirely smooth, but very close. I think maybe it just needs a week of use. On my main amp (and the O2) this headphone sounded really smooth and fairly forgiving to harsh/bright tracks etc.

The microphonics thing is annoying as ***** but i'll live. It takes forever to go away. About 5x worse than I thought.

Did someone say this was a "fun little amp"? Seems like it so far without too much coloration.
I imagine if you want to add warmth to your brighter headphones this probably won't do it. I'll try it with everything else first just to be safe.

Oh yeah and of course with this amp my DJ100 (with M50 pads) only sounds almost like an open headphone at times. It's not hard to do that though and it's mostly from the DAC.

OK now on to the modded Q701, HD-598 and HD-650.

BTW if this amp was too warm or dark it'd make my DJ100 sound like poop and really congested. Luckily it's sounding pretty good. Definitely doesn't fix my harsh/super bright recordings thankfully. Doesn't sound bright to me (yet).

Nov 29, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #1,194 of 4,971
I've seen another report that typing on the same desk as the amp makes it ring, that to on a slightly unstable table. Unfortunately I think this something to expect. Schiit tells u to wait 60 seconds, some of us are bound to get noisy units that takes longer.

Using my re-400 the ringing barely ever stops, but it's just too noisy for me anyways. I'm used to the O2 noise floor though.

Annnd I'll be sending it back if that's the case. I have to type on this desk :\

Nov 29, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #1,195 of 4,971

. I was just looking for a smaller amp to throw in the drawer rather then leave it out.

I am not sure it is that much smaller - 3 1/2" x 5" x 1"  - it is a different shape than the HA-540 which is 5 1/2 " x 6" x about 3" (the latter only due to the tube being upright, of course.  I guess it depends on the size of the drawer.
cool.gif

Nov 29, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #1,196 of 4,971

I've seen another report that typing on the same desk as the amp makes it ring, that to on a slightly unstable table. Unfortunately I think this something to expect. Schiit tells u to wait 60 seconds, some of us are bound to get noisy units that takes longer.

Annnd I'll be sending it back if that's the case. I have to type on this desk :\

They did not put that information on the product page, so I think you have a good case for the 15% restocking fee to be waived.  They put in the FAQ page:

So what's the catch?

Compared to Magni? Several. One, Vali's ultimate power output is lower, so it's less suitable to orthodynamics and other hard-to-drive headphones. Two, many tubes, including the ones in Vali, are microphonic. When you plug in headphones on Vali, you'll hear a little "tiiinnnnggg...." noise that takes quite a while to go away. If you rap the chassis, it will do the same thing. If you work on, say, a paint shaker table, Vali's not going to be the best amp for you. Three, tubes also have a lifespan, though Vali's tubes are expected to last 10,000-20,000 hours--which is 7-14 years of listening 4 hours a day, every day.

Nov 29, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #1,197 of 4,971

This is similar to my experience - I didn't mention it because it was reported by the beta tester impressions in the thread, and Schiit acknowledges it in their posts and in the literature.

This is why MattTCG mentioned he was building something to hold the amp.  You definitely cannot touch it while listening, although I can get away with turning the volume knob on mine.

I'll see whether burn-in makes any difference.

Ah well darn... I guess at that price, there had to be some tradeoff(s)...

I wonder if there might be a simple fix - or way to reduce the issue at least.... Maybe rubber (or thick felt) feet? and or a wooden tray/platter?  (I've seen some folks resort to this in the past)

Nov 29, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #1,198 of 4,971

Ah well darn... I guess at that price, there had to be some tradeoff(s)...

I wonder if there might be a simple fix - or way to reduce the issue at least.... Maybe rubber (or thick felt) feet? and or a wooden tray/platter?  (I've seen some folks resort to this in the past)

Sounds like this Schiit is more sensitive than a baby's butt.  Could be a deal-breaker!

Nov 29, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #1,200 of 4,971
I also got the wrong UK PSU also but I have the amp up and running, initial thoughts are very positive and no signs of microphonic tubes atm, though the Modi didn't like my USB3 socket! Very well made and VERY fast service for delivery. USA to UK in 3 days. Great sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back