NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Nov 29, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #1,201 of 4,971
What about putting some thick rubber bands around the Vali? That could help absorb some vibrations. I hope it wont be a problem with the hd600/650/800 though.

Nov 29, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #1,202 of 4,971
Mine sounds good with my k702 annies, and my 598s. The bass is nice. About to try with some grado sr80s and my denon d600s. Both are pretty low impedance. 

You can definitely hear some ringing when you change phones, but it doesn't bother me. Also, song muted volume at 100 and no noise. 

ETA: I only get a ringing through the right channel when I swap phones. Grados seems to work pretty good out of this amp. Actually my sr80s sound really good out of this amp. (pair with biifrost). 

ETA2: Denon d600s are probably a no go, and are too sensitive for the Vali. The ringing when I plugged them in was pretty intense, and didn't really go away. Very little volume play until it is too loud(about 7 o'clock was approaching too loud for me). This is to be expected, as they are rated at 25 ohms. 

Nov 29, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #1,203 of 4,971
thank you! for posting that for me I appreciate that. Man after seeing all of these pics, I can't wait to get mine, and the good things I have heard about it with HD650's makes it even tougher to wait!

Nov 29, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #1,204 of 4,971

From like page 5ish

From like page 5ish

thank you! for posting that for me I appreciate that. Man after seeing all of these pics, I can't wait to get mine, and the good things I have heard about it with HD650's makes it even tougher to wait!

Sorry for the double post, as you can see I messed up on the quote thing.

Nov 29, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #1,205 of 4,971
To stay away from the microphonics? Plug your phone in before start up, don't swap during on time. This amp has wonderful tonal colors and is clean, clear and focused. Has more frequency reach than you should expect at this price point. A wonderful small offing and a fun piece of kit......

Nov 29, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #1,209 of 4,971
Now if only Schiit could re-create the EXACT Vali sound signature/tone without the tubes..I'd buy it.
I was actually expecting this to have a little more coloration, but i'm glad that's not the case.

A lot of my music sounds exactly how it does on the Micro Amp + Astrodyne (and that was a $350 amp and $60 for the PS).

I've also tried it with the modded Q701. So far so good..it's not thin at all unless it's the recording.

I also found that with my other DAC it sounds a little better than with the Modi. I also plugged it into a Tripp-lite Isobar 4 and it seems to sound even better but could be placebo
normal_smile .gif

So far i'm surprised that it sounds so neutral to my ears.

The clearness of it's sound reminds me of the O2 sort of. I think it's a combination of the amp and my Micro DAC. It's very slightly less clear on the Modi but barely noticeable on 90% of music.

Nov 29, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #1,212 of 4,971

A lot of my music sounds exactly how it does on the Micro Amp + Astrodyne (and that was a $350 amp and $60 for the PS).

So far i'm surprised that it sounds so neutral to my ears.

And how does it pair with the HD650? I'm loving the sound of your impressions. The Micro Amp and Astrodyne was one of my favorite amps. 

Nov 29, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #1,214 of 4,971

And how does it pair with the HD650? I'm loving the sound of your impressions. The Micro Amp and Astrodyne was one of my favorite amps. 

I'll probably get to that tonight. When I put on my DJ100 with it I didn't want to switch to the modded Q701. Kind of addicting.

The Micro Amp + Astro is pretty crystal clear for me (even more so with the Micro DAC) but perhaps the O2 is very very slightly clearer.

I can even hear the extra clearness of the sound on my modded Q701 with the Vali. It also seems like there is more air heard in recordings, but probably not or my head playing tricks on me.
I actually noticed that on some Tony Bennett recordings with my DJ100 (and that's closed!).

BTW if you have a Vali I'd suggest plugging it into a high quality surge protector. The Vali doesn't seem to mind MOV based surge protectors.

Clearer sound usually means less full mids for me and a much thinner sound, but not so here.

EDIT: HD-650 sounds good and I knew this within a minute. With my AC powered DAC as input I only need about 5% volume on the Vali with the HD-650. Scary.

So I would say the Vali has the tone I like. Sort of crystal clear, but not thin. Nice and full sounding and not dark or warm. So for me perhaps my favorite amp tonality is close to an O2 but with 2-3% smoother treble and very very slightly fuller sounding. I don't mean colored. The O2 was the closest i've come to my favorite sounding amp but the Vali is even closer (so far).

EDIT2: HD-650 sounds great on the Vali. Well, it's not a major improvement and sounds basically the same as my other amp. Perhaps slightly fuller and with slightly better instrument separation/imaging. Feels like I want to look around and pick out all the different instruments and more so than before. It's easy to locate tracks that sound unclear or ones that are muffled and not due the amp/dac. For example "Liquid Dance" from the Slumdog Millionaire soundtrack sounds sort of like it has a haze over the sound during the bassy parts on the HD-650. Think it's the track. I don't think the Vali is coloring the sound but more that the HD-650 just loves the Vali or something.

The Vali might be a little more fatiguing than my other amp with the HD-650 but maybe not. I haven't heard a laid-back HD-650 in years.

It's really amazing how many muffled tracks I can hear on the Vali+Micro DAC. 99% sure it's the track and not amp/dac or headphone. The one i'm on now is "Tonight, Tonight" from Smashing Pumpkins.

Careful not to blame the Vali for recording faults
biggrin.gif
OK, it's probably a combo of your DAC and the Vali..not sure. Oh and this is on the HD-650. Brand new pads too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back