NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Nov 29, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #1,156 of 4,971

I am little less familiar with the MA-900s than the others, so impressions of the amp's sound will come from other phones, BUT I can say that the Vali works very well with the MA-900s - no pairing issues.  Since the MA-900s are so sensitive, I could not get beyond 12 o'clock on the knob.  Plenty of bass quantity on the MA-900s with the Vali.  Vocals are particularly nice.  So far, no issues at all other than the microphonics thing (which I think is discussed much earlier in the thread).

Interesting that the rule for optimum sound seems to be the amp should be 8x lower in output impedance then the headphones. The MA-900's are 12 ohms, and the Vali's output impedance is 6.5 ohms, however you find no pairing issues.

I guess that goes to show that rules are made to be broken :)

The MA900 have a resistor that was put in series before the the drivers which changes the resistance of the driver to match the output impedance of the amplifier

Nov 29, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #1,157 of 4,971
Does anybody know how long it took to get the Magni/Modi on Amazon? I have credit on Amazon and would like to buy the Vali with it.

I kept checking on Amazon as well, but so far it isn't available there. I am guessing there are a couple reasons for this. 1) Since it is a new product, Schiit may want to make sure they have plenty in stock to ship from Schiit.com themselves 2) I noticed a lot of the items on Amazon from Schiit are shipped and sold from Schiit with a few exceptions.

I'm sure it will be on Amazon eventually but it could be a while.

Nov 29, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #1,159 of 4,971
put in my order last night, now the waiting..............

Nov 29, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #1,162 of 4,971

I am little less familiar with the MA-900s than the others, so impressions of the amp's sound will come from other phones, BUT I can say that the Vali works very well with the MA-900s - no pairing issues.  Since the MA-900s are so sensitive, I could not get beyond 12 o'clock on the knob.  Plenty of bass quantity on the MA-900s with the Vali.  Vocals are particularly nice.  So far, no issues at all other than the microphonics thing (which I think is discussed much earlier in the thread).

Interesting that the rule for optimum sound seems to be the amp should be 8x lower in output impedance then the headphones. The MA-900's are 12 ohms, and the Vali's output impedance is 6.5 ohms, however you find no pairing issues.

I guess that goes to show that rules are made to be broken :)

The 8x rule is for maximum power, but evidently, the MA-900 gets just the right amount of power from that output power and impedance.  You can, technically, use headphones on an amp with an output impedance higher than that of the headphones, but you'll run into clipping and be loosing a lot of power.

Quote:
  Bedside rig ...

Beautiful.

Nov 29, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #1,163 of 4,971
  Speaking of burnin-generally it's a bad idea to leave tube amps on nonstop for a number of reasons. I'm wondering with this small pencil-tube Vali if it's ok to leave on longer-say 24 hours here and there?  Tube life concerns aside.

-Daniel

Is this due to heat? It is true that heat is an enemy of longevity.

Don't these microtubes run pretty cool, though? 

Nov 29, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #1,164 of 4,971
Good news and bad news.

Good news - I received my Vali today, right on target for an extended listening experience with the Vali over the long weekend.

Bad news - Schiit heads sent me the wrong AC power adaptor. Rated at 115V when it should have been 220V. 
mad.gif

Looks like I'll have to wait another week to be able to listen to the Vali.

Nov 29, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #1,165 of 4,971
^^ too bad on the wait
Did you order directly from them? Did you get to pick the correct volt ? Option on volt on the order site , might just be default to 115
The anticipation will make it sound sweeter

Sharing stuff , like this, can help others
Thanks

Nov 29, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #1,169 of 4,971
  I used an HE-300 headband. 
Too early for reliable impressions on the Vali. Just haven't had enough time to listen to it.

LIES AN SCANDAL 

Nov 29, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #1,170 of 4,971
  I used an HE-300 headband. 
Too early for reliable impressions on the Vali. Just haven't had enough time to listen to it.

The way this works is you pull it out of the box, plug it in, and immediately post 1,000-plus words of impressions after getting through two songs. Get with the program.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back