NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Nov 13, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #737 of 4,971
  Hmm not sure the Vali is that much warmer, maybe smoother. I think we'd have to wait to hear it... from Purrins experince it makes me wonder why any one [outside of power requirements ect...] would need to own a Magni when the Vali in on the Market :/ 

I would say the Vali is just as analytical sounding if not more so than the Magni (assuming we are using a resolving DAC and a suitable recording - no, the Modi is not good enough for it), just that the presentation is different - not as dry or antiseptic. Hard to describe. One would get a Magni for low noise, lack of microphonics, tighter bass, and slightly more power.

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #738 of 4,971
In other words a SS vs Tubes difference ?
:)

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #739 of 4,971
Depends. There are tube amps like Leben or Cary (at least the ones I heard with their specific tube compliments), which opt for an "interesting" tube sound. We shouldn't forget that the Vali is a hybrid: tubes with a discrete bipolar stage. Although generalizing, there's a certain sound to the follower stage too.

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #740 of 4,971
 One would get a Magni for low noise, lack of microphonics, tighter bass, and slightly more power.

My thoughts exactly, low noise and more power.  

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #741 of 4,971
Modi not good enough for the Vali or did I read that wrong? Probably did. I know it's not ultra revealing and it's fairly forgiving of lower bit-rate files and poor recordings (slightly), but if you say the Modi isn't good enough you might as well say that about the ODAC as well. For those on a budget there's nothing wrong with the Modi or ODAC. Haha, maybe we can all go out and buy $800 DACs for our $120 amp. Sounds like something I'd do. I'm actually only interested in the Vali for a specific $50 headphone. I'm weird..

I think the Modi is perfectly acceptable for something like the Q701, HD-598, HD-650 etc. Those aren't too revealing though to begin with. With those I could barely hear much difference between the ODAC and Modi. If I had something better (like a $500+ more revealing headphone) then I'd obviously use something other than the Modi. Actually I could probably be happy with the Modi on almost anything maybe.

When I was testing the Magni and Modi I actually felt the Magni was holding back the Modi
biggrin.gif
Yeah I did like the Magni too. Really. Felt the O2 was a better match for me though because of preferences.

The Modi doesn't have many faults for me and I didn't really hear them until I tried it with the T90 and compared it to a more expensive DAC. Somehow I actually felt the Modi worked well with that and made it much more listenable and smoother sounding. This seems to go against what most people would think. The idea that the Modi is bright/thin is just nonsense to me.

I upgraded from the Modi so it'll be nice comparing my DACs with the Vali. I think the Modi is the best $99 i've ever spent on a piece of audio gear.

So hopefully the Modi and Vali would be the perfect budget setup.

Nov 14, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #742 of 4,971

Yeah if I am to buy an amp, I would definitely choose the Vali over the Magni with current available information. I think we have to concede to the fact that Schiit has reduce people's incentives to get the Magni, but it does not eliminate the fact that if I have the Vali, I would also crave for a Magni 
tongue.gif

I have both a cheap hybrid tube/ss amp, and a Magni, and I tell you what, I love them both. I switch them out depending on what type of music I want to listen to. For what it's worth, you can read my impressions here.

When in doubt, I hook up my Magni. I know that I am going to get the most accurate, reliable reproduction from it. I know that's not saying much, given my gear inventory, but I wouldn't trade my Magni for anything.

Nov 14, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #743 of 4,971

I have both a cheap hybrid tube/ss amp, and a Magni, and I tell you what, I love them both. I switch them out depending on what type of music I want to listen to. For what it's worth, you can read my impressions here.

When in doubt, I hook up my Magni. I know that I am going to get the most accurate, reliable reproduction from it. I know that's not saying much, given my gear inventory, but I wouldn't trade my Magni for anything.

I did the same for a while with my Matrix M Stage and my last Hybrid Tube! And as purrin mentioned it appears the Magni has a slighty tighter sound signiture, over the Vali, which is a Hybrid Tube. Still if you have an already TIGHT Headphone a tube is in most cases a good thing, where as if you have something more laid back and colored, a solid state would match better. I enjoyed my DT 880s out of a tube for a while... although I eventually liked the tighter sound on the already tight DT 880 even more, and now I've got a Balanced Dac/Amp xD

Non the less, I'm still interested in hearing the Vali! FOr vocals there are very few songs that I miss having a tube for. So I definatly plan on getting one one of these days... but first I've got to gind a nice Balanced Tube.... as after this Spring I'm swtiching to fully balanced portable and at home! I just find the balanced is a real improvement with every headphone I've heard balanced, 

That said how ever, I've got an 4pin XLR se Apadter so :3 my DT 880 might enjoy some Vali warmth for a few weeks ;3

Nov 14, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #744 of 4,971
  I did the same for a while with my Matrix M Stage and my last Hybrid Tube! And as purrin mentioned it appears the Magni has a slighty tighter sound signiture, over the Vali, which is a Hybrid Tube. Still if you have an already TIGHT Headphone a tube is in most cases a good thing, where as if you have something more laid back and colored, a solid state would match better. I enjoyed my DT 880s out of a tube for a while... although I eventually liked the tighter sound on the already tight DT 880 even more, and now I've got a Balanced Dac/Amp xD

Non the less, I'm still interested in hearing the Vali! FOr vocals there are very few songs that I miss having a tube for. So I definatly plan on getting one one of these days... but first I've got to gind a nice Balanced Tube.... as after this Spring I'm swtiching to fully balanced portable and at home! I just find the balanced is a real improvement with every headphone I've heard balanced, 

That said how ever, I've got an 4pin XLR se Apadter so :3 my DT 880 might enjoy some Vali warmth for a few weeks ;3

Is there actually a sonic difference with balanced headphones?

Nov 14, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #745 of 4,971
  Is there actually a sonic difference with balanced headphones?

Yea, better sound stage and instrument seperation. Along with better extension on both ends, and a more focused mids. 

It's hard to say, with Audio GD Amps the Balanced out is superior the the SE, that's by design. The only objective differance in balanced and SE is power, you can drive more power with balanced. Outside of that, in theory balanced will sound better due to an increase in physical channel seperation, as in there is an individual wire running the + and - signal for both left and right, over SE which has only one channel for L + - and one for R + - 

Plain and simple it sounds better, but you couldn't measure the improvement... I'm not sure "Sound stage and depth" are things to be objectively captured at this point in time. Nor is "Focus" focus as in there is not a sense of "veil" or a glossed over sound in the mids. 

But in theory Balanced sounds better, and by design Audio GD balanced amps sound better than the SE variants. 

So in my case, yes Balanced is better every time. The same applies to my PB1, the balanced out sounds better over the SE

Nov 14, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #746 of 4,971
A question to those who have spent more time with the Vali than I have.
I'm most likely going to be getting a new pair of LCD-2's. Unfortunately, my current amp (M-Stage) is meant more for higher impedance cans like the HD800's or sensitive cans like Denons and I need an affordable proper amp for my LCD-2's until I can afford something more substantial. The two amps I have my eye on are the Schiit Magni and Vali, which are both around $100 and once I get a better amp will fit nicely in the Audeze rugged case for needed transportability. While I have heard the LCD-2 (rev 1, not rev 2) with both, I couldn't figure out which one I preferred in the time I spent with them.

Would anyone with experience with both of them on the LCD-2 mind posting a bit of their impressions on how they compare? It'll help me make my final decision.

Also, I will be trying the speaker amp option with my Emotiva stack (XDA-2, XPA-200), but that's for a bit later.

Lastly, I do have a nice vintage amp (Optonica SM-4000u), would that possibly perform better than the Magni or Vali? I believe the headphone amp is just a reduced version of the full speaker tap signal.

Nov 14, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #747 of 4,971
A quick update on Vali: it's taken us a little longer than expected to perfect the 3D-printed test fixture for the tubes, but as of today, they're being matched and binned for production. That means we're probably only a few days away from getting boards in quantity. This means we're looking at a launch next week.

In the meantime, here's one of the official Vali shots:

Not much different than Magni--just different holes on top...

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 14, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #748 of 4,971
Sweeeeeeet! Can't wait to order one!
Quote:
  A quick update on Vali: it's taken us a little longer than expected to perfect the 3D-printed test fixture for the tubes, but as of today, they're being matched and binned for production. That means we're probably only a few days away from getting boards in quantity. This means we're looking at a launch next week.

Nov 14, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #749 of 4,971

Hmmm lovely front indeed, any shots of the back by any chance cuz they don't call me the.....
.... for nothin'.
evil_smiley.gif

Just wanted to know the back layout/ connectors that's all cuz not sure if my cheapo ELE dac or Fiio e17 can be hooked to the Vali via my computer. :)

Thanks in advance!!!

Nov 14, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #750 of 4,971

Damn! That's one fine photograph!! :wink:

Tho I might be biased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back