NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Jul 29, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #4,113 of 4,971
Just bit the bullet and bought a Vali. Still in transit, but i can't wait. 

I'm planning to use the x3 as a DAC, but i also have friend who's selling a Fiio D3. How would that perform with a Vali, compared to the x3 as a DAC? I received confirmation that the battery on the x3 keeps on charging even if on full capacity which means using the x3 as a DAC will shorten its life. If i can use the D3 instead it would be great. 

Jul 29, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #4,114 of 4,971
I personally wasn't that impressed with the D3, but YMMV. I felt that the extra money spent on the Modi was well worth it.

Jul 30, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #4,115 of 4,971
5 months since I got this amp. Even more impressed by it now. This little amp sings :)

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #4,118 of 4,971
So I sold my Magni and Modi so I could get some other things, but I'm looking into a Vali for my HE-400 in the future. I know there's A LOT of impressions out there, but has a consensus been reached on the Vali + HE-400 pairing? Does it have enough juice? Is the treble less harsh than it was on the Magni?

Do these actually carry the "tube sound" well? I miss my Little Dot something fierce. I'm also unsure what I should get with a DAC ... treble was a problem with Magni/Modi and I understand that came from both devices. I dunno if Modi + Vali is enough to eliminate those or if I should pair the Vali with something else. Is the a good, $100-ish DAC that most consider good with the Vali?

Jul 31, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #4,119 of 4,971
  So I sold my Magni and Modi so I could get some other things, but I'm looking into a Vali for my HE-400 in the future. I know there's A LOT of impressions out there, but has a consensus been reached on the Vali + HE-400 pairing? Does it have enough juice? Is the treble less harsh than it was on the Magni?

Do these actually carry the "tube sound" well? I miss my Little Dot something fierce. I'm also unsure what I should get with a DAC ... treble was a problem with Magni/Modi and I understand that came from both devices. I dunno if Modi + Vali is enough to eliminate those or if I should pair the Vali with something else. Is the a good, $100-ish DAC that most consider good with the Vali?

IMO the treble you speak of is more due to the HE-400's. You might try smoothing it down with a touch of EQ in the right place, I don't think that an amp is going to change the FR. I tried the HE-400's but ended up getting the HE-500's for this same reason. You do get tons of good bass with the HE-400.

Jul 31, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #4,120 of 4,971
  IMO the treble you speak of is more due to the HE-400's. You might try smoothing it down with a touch of EQ in the right place, I don't think that an amp is going to change the FR. I tried the HE-400's but ended up getting the HE-500's for this same reason. You do get tons of good bass with the HE-400.

I've had the HE-400 for two years now and am happy with the treble when using things like the Fiio E17 and the Little Dot MKIII. It's just that the Magni and Modi themselves are naturally treble-heavy.

Jul 31, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #4,121 of 4,971
  I've had the HE-400 for two years now and am happy with the treble when using things like the Fiio E17 and the Little Dot MKIII. It's just that the Magni and Modi themselves are naturally treble-heavy.

I've A/B switched the Magni and Asgard 2 with numerous headphones and found the FR to be same. The Magni's FR is "20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-200KHz, -3dB" so I find it difficult to think the amp is the cause. The Modi has an FR  of "20Hz-20KHz, +/-0.1dB" which is as flat as it's going to get. The Vali has an FR of  "20Hz-20Khz, -0.2db, 5Hz-100KHz, -3dB" which for all intents and purposes (to human ears) is the same as the Magni. Whether you are looking at the Magni's +/-0.1 dB variation or Vali's +/-0.2 dB variation throughout the audio spectrum, that's nothing that anyone should be able to hear any difference or be excessive in treble.

Jul 31, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #4,122 of 4,971
  I've A/B switched the Magni and Asgard 2 with numerous headphones and found the FR to be same. The Magni's FR is "20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-200KHz, -3dB" so I find it difficult to think the amp is the cause. The Modi has an FR  of "20Hz-20KHz, +/-0.1dB" which is as flat as it's going to get. The Vali has an FR of  "20Hz-20Khz, -0.2db, 5Hz-100KHz, -3dB" which for all intents and purposes (to human ears) is the same as the Magni. Whether you are looking at the Magni's +/-0.1 dB variation or Vali's +/-0.2 dB variation throughout the audio spectrum, that's nothing that anyone should be able to hear any difference or be excessive in treble.

I mean, thanks for all the information. But that's not what I was asking -- and I'm hardly the only one who thinks the Magni and the Modi are particularly bright with something of a harsh treble. In fact, that's the majority opinion. I realize that doesn't make it right, but I'd just like to gently tell you I'm not particularly interested in those numbers, mate! I was asking if the Vali tended to be less bright, particularly with the HE-400, and a few other questions to which you're not necessarily addressing. The HE-400 are bright, too bright at times with the Magni, and this is not the case with, say, the Little Dot MKIII with the Fiio E17 as the DAC. Hence why I asked questions about the tube sound, the warmth, etc. Trying to tell me that what I'm hearing is wrong doesn't change what I'm hearing (and what most people hear.)

Whatever the case, thanks. 

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #4,123 of 4,971
Hah, just got my Vali. Wow, so far it sounds GLORIOUS. I wonder, is the audio going to improve? Is this one of those things that take a while before they reach optimal performance? Because to me it sounds very good already as it is. 

The bastards as customs charged me 40 euros though. Absurd. That's basically half the price of the Vali. 20% my ass, i wonder what other charges they pulled out of their collective bums. Price was still lower than what i would have payed at audiophonics, so i guess that's how it has to be. 

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #4,124 of 4,971
  Hah, just got my Vali. Wow, so far it sounds GLORIOUS. I wonder, is the audio going to improve? Is this one of those things that take a while before they reach optimal performance? Because to me it sounds very good already as it is. 

The bastards as customs charged me 40 euros though. Absurd. That's basically half the price of the Vali. 20% my ass, i wonder what other charges they pulled out of their collective bums. Price was still lower than what i would have payed at audiophonics, so i guess that's how it has to be. 

Ouch, they are highwaymen.

Aug 1, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #4,125 of 4,971
What can you do, i live in a country of thieves. 

BTW, this thing gets pretty warm after a while. Would it be a good idea to try to find some cooling solution? Has anybody done something like that? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back