NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Aug 6, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #4,143 of 4,971
  yes very good with my T1s, second only to OTLs where the T1 really shines at it's best.

Thank's for posting.What OTL's have you used? I have a WA2 myself. 

Aug 7, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #4,144 of 4,971
Hey everyone! I'm dead set on getting a  DT990 (Probably going with the 250) and I was able to try a pair today (250) and I absolutely love them though the treble's are like what I've read, a bit fatiguing. I was curious if the Vali helps tone them down a bit? From all I've read, this AMP is spectacular for the price and I'm loving that! If I get this amp I plan on pairing it with the Modi

Aug 7, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #4,148 of 4,971
  Hey everyone! I'm dead set on getting a  DT990 (Probably going with the 250) and I was able to try a pair today (250) and I absolutely love them though the treble's are like what I've read, a bit fatiguing. I was curious if the Vali helps tone them down a bit? From all I've read, this AMP is spectacular for the price and I'm loving that! If I get this amp I plan on pairing it with the Modi

If the treble is strident, don't expect an amp to really tone that down. That's what EQ is for, I would consider looking for a set of cans that makes me happy on its own merits. If you're dead set on it then see if you can live with its treble. It's tough when one is really looking forward to a set of headphones and there's something about it that's making you wonder. Does the vendor offer a return period?

Aug 8, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #4,149 of 4,971
  If the treble is strident, don't expect an amp to really tone that down. That's what EQ is for, I would consider looking for a set of cans that makes me happy on its own merits. If you're dead set on it then see if you can live with its treble. It's tough when one is really looking forward to a set of headphones and there's something about it that's making you wonder. Does the vendor offer a return period?

Well I took some extra time today to go back to where I tried the 990's on and though the treble is there, I can easily cope with it as it isn't terrible by any means! Listened to the cans for over an hour without any fatiguing! I also can't get beyond the comfort of the Beyer's.

Now I didn't word my question quite right :frowning2: I meant to ask will the Vali really give the warmer sound of tubes that I've read about so much and take the edge off the treble? When I was listening to the cans earlier today, they were paired with a FiiO e10, so that's what I'm putting the vali up against.

Aug 8, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #4,150 of 4,971
  Well I took some extra time today to go back to where I tried the 990's on and though the treble is there, I can easily cope with it as it isn't terrible by any means! Listened to the cans for over an hour without any fatiguing! I also can't get beyond the comfort of the Beyer's.

Now I didn't word my question quite right :frowning2: I meant to ask will the Vali really give the warmer sound of tubes that I've read about so much and take the edge off the treble? When I was listening to the cans earlier today, they were paired with a FiiO e10, so that's what I'm putting the vali up against.

The E10k (200 mW) has far less power than the Vali (650 mW) at 32 Ohms. It also has a built in DAC. I would still get the Vali and some other DAC. I still wouldn't rely on an Amp to take the edge off the treble, IMO that story is way overrated. The warmer sound of tubes is attributed to even order Harmonic Distortion. The Vali or a more expensive good tube Amp delivers very little distortion, IMO not enough to really make a difference and most people will probably not even hear the difference. You might even consider getting a Magni, it is more powerful, far better SNR and has no ringing. The story about it being trebly is IMO a myth, I compared it, using an A/B switch, with an Asgard 2 using an HD600, HE-500 and more headphones an found no difference in sound. I also own a Vali, it's a good amp, but I prefer the Magni or Asgard 2 over it. If you really want a tube amp the Vali is a hybrid, delivering a decent amount of power, sounds good, built well and at a price that is hard to beat. IMO wishing it to tame treble should not be an expectation.
If you can cope with the 990's treble and that's the headphone that will bring a smile to your face, go for it and smile.

Aug 8, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #4,151 of 4,971
Stan, thank you for the insight and your opinions! Looks like I'll have a toss up between the Vali and the Magni (either will be paired with the Modi). i might order both and just take the restocking fee hit on the one I don't like. Thanks again!

Aug 8, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #4,152 of 4,971
  Stan, thank you for the insight and your opinions! Looks like I'll have a toss up between the Vali and the Magni (either will be paired with the Modi). i might order both and just take the restocking fee hit on the one I don't like. Thanks again!

I hope you find what you're looking for. Schiit's try and return policy is very nice, check to see if there is a nominal restocking fee as these are priced generously, I think they want some coin on returns. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back