NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Jul 20, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #4,082 of 4,971
Well, after a bit of consideration, i think i'm going to try Audiophonics: 

http://www.audiophonics.fr/

With shipping and tax, the unit is going to come out at a little less than 200 euros. This is QUITE a bit more than the American price, and perhaps even more than buying directly from Schiit (after currency conversion and everything), but i'm weary of the way Italian customs work, since they might add some unexpected fee. What a crappy country i live in. At any rate, i'm assuming that Audiophonics is good for insurance, given that this store is listed on Schiit's own website, right? 

My only reservation is that at 200 euros there might be something better available. Many of the comments here seem centered on the American price, which is indeed amazing. But perhaps there are better options for the European market? The only one i know of is the Bravo amps, which again i'm weary of since my last one didn't last too long (but perhaps i was just unlucky). I even have a Gold Lion ECC82 laying around which i had bought to replace the stock one from my old Bravo. At twice the money, would the Vali really be that much of an upgrade? 

Jul 21, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #4,083 of 4,971

Yeah, it seems that in the end the price amounts to the same. Are there any good alternatives that are more easily available in Europe? 

Right now i'm actually eyeing this: 

http://www.amazon.de/Little-Dot-MKII-Kopfh%C3%B6rerverst%C3%A4rker-Verst%C3%A4rker/dp/B00A2QMAI2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1405340005&sr=8-3&keywords=little+dot+amp

I'm interested in the tube sound, but i also want something that is durable and reliable. That thing looks like an accident waiting to happen. Plus i'm sure tube rolling and replacement is going to inflate the price a great deal. The other alternative is getting one of those small Bravo amps but i had one of those and it died on my after little more than a year. Bad luck maybe but it didn't seem to be very well constructed to begin with. 

Bravo amps suffer from a lack of proper cooling. I use a Thermaltake USB fan on both of mine (one is modded), and they've been working just fine for over a year. That being said, by all accounts, the unmodified Bravo amps don't hold a candle to a Schiit Vali. I have not personally tried one (yet), but people whose opinions I respect here have indicated as much. I understand that the Schiit amps are all available with either a 230v UK or Euro plug. So worst case you'd have to place a US order and wait a while.

I also haven't tried the Little Dot amps, but they also seem to have their own following, and some folks really like them.

If I can say one thing to help encourage you to try Schiit - their gear is built like a tank. I have a Magni and a Modi, and they have held up to almost daily use for well over a year. And I have carted my Magni around to at least 3 different locations in that time, run it with and without a DAC, into good and not so good headphones, and it is absolutely the most solid piece of gear I have ever owned.

Jul 21, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #4,084 of 4,971
Heh, just did some calculations. With the highest shipping option, and possibly a custom fee (which can go as high as 20% or 23%), the final price still comes up as less than that of Audiophonics. I think i'm just going get it directly from Schiit. 

On last thing. Would it be worth it to add a Modi to my order? I'm going to use the x3 as a DAC, would the Modi be such an improvement as to warrant another 100 quids? 

Jul 21, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #4,086 of 4,971
What about the e12? How much better is the Vali, considering the e12 would be cheaper, easier to buy (sold on any European Amazon) and its portable? Is the difference considerable enough to offset those advantages? 

Sounds like an interesting suggestion. The E12 is far better than most people realize.

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #4,087 of 4,971

That being said, by all accounts, the unmodified Bravo amps don't hold a candle to a Schiit Vali. 

What about the e12? How much better is the Vali, considering the e12 would be cheaper, easier to buy (sold on any European Amazon) and its portable? Is the difference considerable enough to offset those advantages? 

What are you driving with it? HD600 or HD800, Vali is a no brainer. More resolving, better instrument separation, better stage. I loved the E12 but its not even in the same ballpark for these two cans.

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #4,088 of 4,971
Ho the hell, Vali it is. :D 

One very last thing though. I know the unit rings if rattled, though i did not understand the mechanic of it. Does it mean that it could get easily damaged during transportation? According to the Schiit website, i have to pay my own shipping if i need an exchange, which normally wouldn't be a problem but on an international order that's a different thing. 

Ho, and i think i'll just add a mobi too and rely on the x3 only for outdoors listening, heh. 

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #4,089 of 4,971
  Ho the hell, Vali it is. :D 

One very last thing though. I know the unit rings if rattled, though i did not understand the mechanic of it. Does it mean that it could get easily damaged during transportation? According to the Schiit website, i have to pay my own shipping if i need an exchange, which normally wouldn't be a problem but on an international order that's a different thing. 

Ho, and i think i'll just add a mobi too and rely on the x3 only for outdoors listening, heh. 

Mine arrived straight from the us (as every other schiit of course), and I bought it used from a kind head-fier in uk, then it has been moved by ship back to North America, all in his original package: not a single scratch.

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #4,091 of 4,971
  Vali with the HD600 is awesome! 

Indeed, had this setup for months since Vali arrived.  paired nicely with Concero HD as well.
alas, sold my HD600.  likely selling Vali soon as a result.

Jul 26, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #4,092 of 4,971
hi all I'm fairly certain I'll be using the vali daily for most of the day. how will the tubes hold up? any help appreciated
beerchug.gif

Jul 26, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #4,093 of 4,971
  hi all I'm fairly certain I'll be using the vali daily for most of the day. how will the tubes hold up? any help appreciated
beerchug.gif

Schiit states: "Vali's tubes are expected to last 10,000-20,000 hours--which is 7-14 years of listening 4 hours a day, every day"

So you will be just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back