New Ultrasone Edition 5 hinted in the Fujiya Avice Autumn Festival 2013
Feb 19, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #168 of 339
If for some reason anyone wants to purchase these headphones. You will save about $1,000 American Dollars buying them in Europe. Countries in the EU have what is called a Value Added Tax. If you do not live in the EU, when you are leaving you hand your receipt over at the airport and you get your VAT Tax back.

The VAT Tax averages 20% across Europe as a whole, which is $1,000 dollars for a $5,000 dollar pair of headphones (Plus your not paying US taxes, so you save more). So  remember if you are in Europe or going to take a trip you will save money purchasing these headphones their.

If anyone still wants to take the leap

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #169 of 339
Sorry to hear this news Trey36.  All the best in  the quest.
beerchug.gif

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #170 of 339
:) Hey Mortalcoil,

Life happens so not a big deal. I'm not the first person to be shafted by this company and I won't be the last. Lessoned learned so moving on, I will just make sure to push this story to every music lover so people at least look around and find companies that have more integrity. (Lucky for me I have a lot of friends in Japan)  I'm sticking with Shure, Apple & Tesla. At least all three give you a quality product and quality treatment.

Enjoy!

Mar 8, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #171 of 339
So no one heard it ???  Vapor-headphone ?

Mar 12, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #174 of 339
AnakChan,

You are correct, there are a couple of reviews from people who've listened to this headphone before. The review's I've read, are based on brief impression of people being able to listen to them for minutes at a time. The person I recommended had a pair for XXX amount of hours or XXX amount of days (got to be careful what I say on this forum). I was told they sound really nice and very open, and the build quality is very nice but that should be expect at that price. (I was given a lot more detail than this but, again got to be careful what I say on this forum)

If anyone has listened to these headphones for longer than 10 minutes feel free to jump in and give a detailed impression to bmichels.

Mar 12, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #175 of 339
  AnakChan,

You are correct, there are a couple of reviews from people who've listened to this headphone before. The review's I've read, are based on brief impression of people being able to listen to them for minutes at a time. The person I recommended had a pair for XXX amount of hours or XXX amount of days (got to be careful what I say on this forum). I was told they sound really nice and very open, and the build quality is very nice but that should be expect at that price. (I was given a lot more detail than this but, again got to be careful what I say on this forum)

If anyone has listened to these headphones for longer than 10 minutes feel free to jump in and give a detailed impression to bmichels.

It is a good point that burn and listening in a controlled environment plays a part in the signature of the headphone. However personally I remain skeptical. For $5000 of my hard earned cash, I'd personally expect less risk that the final signature isn't going vary too much upon first listening. I spent 2 separate occasions listening to the Ed5 with 30 mins head time on the 2nd occasion and I personally found it hard for it to justify it's price. If the Ed5 is able to do a complete about-face after burn-in that would be a pleasant surprise but again, $5000 on a pair of headphones is quite a risk to take to see if it's capable of doing that or not - as opposed to, say, using that savings for something like the Abyss or Stax instead.

However, that's just me. Naturally others would have greater disposable income.

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #176 of 339
I agree with you and when I was in the market for them I was told it would be a better use of money to get an electrostatic system. It was explained to me that No, dynamic headphone is worth that type of money (an amazing set of house speakers could be bought for that price.). Thanks for clarifying and I appreciate that you've actually listened to them and giving your thoughts. I haven't heard them but would love to.

Enjoy

Mar 22, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #178 of 339
Hmmm...I can't remember which tracks I listened to but it would have been the Best Audiophile Voices series of CDs & Nobu's Popular Selection (which has a lot of 80's stuff like Alan Parson's Project, Toto, Earth Wind & Fire).

Mar 23, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #180 of 339
  Thank you! Edition 5 is very bright headphone or no? how can you estimate quality of a bass and midrange?
PRaT? T
he E5's transient response is fast or slow?

Sadly not enough time to estimate those factors - especially for me. I'm the kinda chap who likes to compare based on something else I'm familiar with and I didn't have my headphones side-by-side to the Ed5 to compare against. It didn't hit me as a particularly bright headphone within the Ultrasone Ed series. To me, listening to the Ed10 is a memorable "bright" kind of but the Ed5 didn't have that impression. Having said that it's no LCD-XC either. There's more treble extension than the XC to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back