New top Lotoo Mjolnir
Aug 21, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #331 of 669
I am still happy with my advance order of the Mjölnir from Musicteck, with availability at the end of August. I have great faith in LoTOO and their products (I have both their PAW Gold and their PAW 5000 for nearly 8 years now and have had great customer support from them).

I am not concerned about power, as they specify 2.5 W per channel AND most of my headphones are efficient.

While I would prefer streaming capability, at least via Roon and most delightful with full Tidal decoding and Apple Music capability (I can dream, can’t I?), I am happy with just self-contained music presentation, as that is how I do most of my listening.

Over years of comparison, my PAW Gold outperforms the sound of my Hugo, Hugo2, Schitt Gungir Multibit, and a trial of the MHDT DAC. Even though I have had to replace its display, twice, with LoTOO’s help, I have great faith in their products.

I look forward to having early access to the Mjölnir to answer these and other questions.

Aug 21, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #332 of 669
I am still happy with my advance order of the Mjölnir from Musicteck, with availability at the end of August. I have great faith in LoTOO and their products (I have both their PAW Gold and their PAW 5000 for nearly 8 years now and have had great customer support from them).

I am not concerned about power, as they specify 2.5 W per channel AND most of my headphones are efficient.

While I would prefer streaming capability, at least via Roon and most delightful with full Tidal decoding and Apple Music capability (I can dream, can’t I?), I am happy with just self-contained music presentation, as that is how I do most of my listening.

Over years of comparison, my PAW Gold outperforms the sound of my Hugo, Hugo2, Schitt Gungir Multibit, and a trial of the MHDT DAC. Even though I have had to replace its display, twice, with LoTOO’s help, I have great faith in their products.

I look forward to having early access to the Mjölnir to answer these and other questions.
I look forward to your impressions.

Paw 5000MK2 is a surprisingly good little DAP, indeed!

Aug 21, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #333 of 669
Now let's cut Hifonix and Lotoo some slack here, please. Both tried to get a Mjolnir to Canjam London in time and sometimes things just don't go as perfectly as planned.

I remember carrying the 35kg Cayin HA-300 MKii to High-End Munich to let people test it and then realized I forgot a certain cable. 😅

I'm sure soon there will be impressions here from people who received their retail units.

Aug 21, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #335 of 669
Now let's cut Hifonix and Lotoo some slack here, please. Both tried to get a Mjolnir to Canjam London in time and sometimes things just don't go as perfectly as planned.

I remember carrying the 35kg Cayin HA-300 MKii to High-End Munich to let people test it and then realized I forgot a certain cable. 😅

I'm sure soon there will be impressions here from people who received their retail units.
I agree, but here it is not about forgeting something: Since Hifonix received the "final" version just before departing to the show, it is about not taking the necessary time to make everything that is possible to make it happen.

I remember when I was preparing trade show for my company, I will not go to bed before everything was perfect, even if I had to go to sleep at 3 Am or wake-up at 5 am.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #336 of 669
I agree, but here it is not about forgeting something, but since Hifonix received the "final" version just before departing to the show, it is about not taking the necessary time to make everything that is possible to fix the problem

I remember when I was preparing trade show for my company, I will not go to bed before everything was perfect, even if I had to go to sleep at 3 Am or wake-up at 5 am.
I understand that and yes, that would be optimal. I too am a perfectionist. Sometimes things happen though or things simply get forgotten in the heat of the moment. It could simply be that they expected the device being updated already and just noticed during the show. Just saying...

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #337 of 669
I am sure the firmware or firmwares in the near future will fix and improve many things. Lotoo is great in that department too.
no doubt it all will be fixed and amp section has enough power as claimed. my concern is mostly the sound signature possibly being polite or less reference as opposed to my expectation which we won’t know until the final product is in the hands of a headfier who is able to do the comparison.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #338 of 669
I agree, but here it is not about forgeting something: Since Hifonix received the "final" version just before departing to the show, it is about not taking the necessary time to make everything that is possible to make it happen.

I remember when I was preparing trade show for my company, I will not go to bed before everything was perfect, even if I had to go to sleep at 3 Am or wake-

Sometimes we ask ourselves why we put so much effort, money and resources in to these events for some people to be disrespectful.

The Mjolnir turned up 11am
we departed for London CanJam setup at 12pm,
arrived in London at 3:30pm
Finished setting up 10pm
3 and a half hour sleep because couldn’t sleep due to tiredness

When the F do you expect us to setup the unit? Only for some unappreciated person to slate off the hard work that Lotoo and the team has put in?

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #339 of 669
I was at CanJam too yesterday and headed to the Hifonix stand for a listen to the Expanse and Steath to scratch that itch. I sat down in front of the Mjolnir and listened to the Expanse, Stealth and the Meze Empyrean.

Bearing in mind it was noisy and perhaps I was expecting too much from a £9k+ pairing but I wasn’t "blown away’

Im sitting here now listening to Hugo 2 over optical from my iPad pro into the Sennheiser HD650 and to be honest it sounds better.

Perhaps it’s my mood, the home environment or perhaps I’m just the target audience for this gear.

YMMV applies but the opportunity to listen to the gear I did at CanJam made me grateful for the stuff I already own, well other than I may have to upgrade to a Hugo TT 2 we shall see. 🤪
Very unlikely for Stealth/Expanse to blow you away, those are headphones that reproduce music very accurately, which sometimes sounds plain and boring. You would need to get familiar with them beforehand. I like the DCA Stealth for evaluating gear because they are very transparent and closed back, so once you get used to how things sound in them you can notice changes in the system.

I doubt the AKM chip in the mjolnir can match the DAC in the Hugo 2. If you like your Hugo 2 and it's sufficient for your headphones then just continue using it.

Aug 21, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #340 of 669
Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #341 of 669
Sometimes we ask ourselves why we put so much effort, money and resources in to these events for some people to be disrespectful.

The Mjolnir turned up 11am
we departed for London CanJam setup at 12pm,
arrived in London at 3:30pm
Finished setting up 10pm
3 and a half hour sleep because couldn’t sleep due to tiredness

When the F do you expect us to setup the unit? Only for some unappreciated person to slate off the hard work that Lotoo and the team has put in?
i’m not impressed with your preparation, but i am impressed with your arrogance and level of professionalism. well done 👍🏼

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #342 of 669
i’m not impressed with your preparation, but i am impressed with your arrogance and level of professionalism. well done 👍🏼
The Mjolnir turned turned up 2 days late due to the courier. It’s Sod’s Law

Aug 22, 2023 at 4:19 AM Post #343 of 669
With the exception of the negative posts in this thread, which is just sad, perhaps because this new product has a lot to live up to., everyone at the CanJam London weekend were friendly, approachable and happy to discuss head-fi, both exhibitors and fellow head fiers.

My suggestion (and no more than that) is all the poster had to ask was an open question "was it possible to get the final retail version to the show". Or perhaps "what was the reason the final retail version did not quite make it". Writing a closed - very public - negative assumption is kind of impolite and risks a human reaction, which is all that happened. Extending patience and not presuming makes for lighter interactions

Hifonix put on an exceptional 2023 presence bringing both old and debut never seen before items in both desktop and personal head-fi to the 2023 show. I for one hope exhibitors are not put off by these minority sniping (coincidentally all mainland Europe posters?) and return for 2024

Aug 22, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #345 of 669
negative posts in this thread
I don't think anyone is making negative posts - at 7k, people are concerned with the performance of the unit. That's healthy.
My suggestion (and no more than that) is all the poster had to ask was an open question "was it possible to get the final retail version to the show"
Which poster? Me? If so, I did ask here in a polite way.
I for one hope exhibitors are not put off by these minority sniping (coincidentally all mainland Europe posters?) and return for 2024
Love the Brexit vibes. Very tasteful. I'm actually English, you'll be glad to hear. Where one comes from makes no difference; we're all interested in the Mjolnir.

////

No-one wants the Mjolnir to be more of a success than me. Check out my signature - I'm a verified Lotoo fanboy. I look forward to further impressions and no doubt demoing soon.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back