CanJam London 2023 Impressions Thread
Aug 20, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #198 of 463
Compliments again to the team and volunteers. Show rating 3 B's: bigger, better, bolder. All exhibitors were most accommodating, patient and welcoming. Hats off, these shows must require stamina

Impressions triangulation (same as last year save one item swap):
- Sony WM1Z first gen, Sony IER-Z1R (E4UA adaptors and Campfire Audio pure silver balanced 4.4mm cable with stock silicone tips), 64 Audio A18S custom fit.

Sennheiser HE 1 = unicorn in its own separate column. For the 15 minutes it was HvB Beethoven Fifth's Sympthony ; could not waste time browsing the streaming selection. Hear everything without anything wrong tonally or technically. If you earn 7 figures, buy this or donate to me

Insert usual show impressions and sighted bias disclaimer. Unless specifically mentioned please assume comfort and fit were fine on my ears or head. No real photographs because my smartphone is 8 years young (not a typo) and plenty of better cameras. In fact I seem to have been photographed by everyone :face_palm: ha ha

ZMF room: team ZMF are the nicest people you could meet. Spent a solid 2 hours. Was able to A/B Atrium Closed in two different woods on the dCS Lina stack. In order of preference: Caldera, Atrium open/closed, Verite open/closed but splitting hairs they each have something going for them. Knowing the Caldera closed is in development is conflicting as the clock ticks down to the expiry of the show discount... The ZMF unreleased portable headphone: the weight loss immediately apparent. There is a family sound, not the same level as the grown ups but that is expected

dCS room: did not listen to anything but spoke to the knowledgeable team. Lina was represented in the ZMF and HE 1 rooms anyhow

Effect Audio: Cleopatra II Octa attached to the IER-Z1R yielded slightly more separation, bass control and detail. Slight but detectable

Vision Ears: VE10 new model versus EXT: prefer the VE10 fit but the EXT sound as more exciting and extension. I did not think the sound especially stood out (read to the end)

Final Audio: Instantly prefer D8000 Pro over non-Pro connected to (one of the) Burson all in one desktops. The still-in-development new flagship was display only. PR manager said had hoped to have a demo version but Japan not ready to sign off the sound yet. A5000 new budget IEM model was a pleasant listen. Real attention went to the A8000 IEM: yeah the bass the better than IER-Z1R. Do not hear a midrange dip on A8000

64 Audio: only here to listen to the Fourté Blanc, the new U4S and to ask if the m12 Apex module will be available for standalone purchase (currently exclusive to buyers of the U4S). Did not hear anything in the Blanc that is interest. The U4S the budget model sounds quite competitive relative to the 64A range. It was a not yet and possibly not ever on the m12 Apex as a standalone purchase option. It was then teasingly suggested to wait 6 weeks for something new. Okay then...

Ultimate Ears: Listened to the entire line of the first time. "Clarity" was the watchword and totally get the professional popularity. Thought the Live mix of dynamic/BA was not fully coherent. New 21 driver flagship: universal demo definitely chonk. I think they made a mistake with the nozzle design ; it is by no means the only hefty IEM at the show or in the world. I would strongly recommend UE re-design the universal demo unit for more consistent fit for potential custom orders

A&K SP3000: finally updated the interface and processor for fast navigation that everyone expects in the modern era. The design choice of sharp corners is confusing and means in practice an outer case is needed whether for home or travel. Obviously much more driving power than anything by Sony ; the Meze flagship is happier driven by the SP3K versus Sony DAP. Silver, black and copper all present. At the show sounded the same, noting the forum posts and A&K themselves suggesting a difference. Compared to WM1Z first gen more extended, separation and detail. More sub-bass rumble. Not "throw away WM1Z v1" difference. But the SP3K can be the all-use-cases purchase ; desktop and portable...

Fir Audio: yeah kinetic bass is doing something and not just marketing. I prefer the KR5 over the Xe6. The X6 is too bass heavy though totally get this is preference (I have the coloured sounding Fostex TH900 at home). Radon 6: standout sub-bass, layering, detail and I think W signature. R6 a warmer sounding monitor over KR5 but not as dark as Xe6

Sennheiser: (disclaimer: everyone will likely own or have heard the full size lineup). The team were super polite responding to my query about an official HD 540 ear pad (figured worse answer is a no, which indeed it was). Moving on, the IE lineup stood out for their small dimensions and therefore easy "do not need to think about it" fit. IE 600 is probably tuned "too good" in that the sound is 'close enough' to IE 900 the value proposition is with the IE 600. Did not hear a midrange dip or treble sizzle that I have read about on the IE 600 or IE 900. Might be the Sony source at play. IE 200: £130 RRP is the headline for entry to a balanced Sennheiser sound. Signature is touch lean for my taste, but we are comparing to more expensive monitors

QDC: UK show debut (thank you head-fi). VX: totally get the praise and the tunable signature provides flexibility. V14: I actually enjoyed the additional est treble drivers and "switch 3 and 4 up" for classical. VX better 'value'. Also heard the Dmagic. Recall a neutral sound nothing especially standout - the lack of any glaring tonality issues is a plus. Save up for VX if looking at the QDC family. If you must own a triple dynamic, buy this over the Campfire Trifecta all day, every day

Soundz: Only heard the 4, 7 and 10 driver flagship. Getting to the end of the show had to prioritise, no time even say hello to Jude who sat down next to me, ha. Good tuning, reasonable height and starting with a baseline of no glaring tonality problem is an immediate plus for the future of the company. I would like slightly more width and also density overall but that is not necessarily "right" nor "correct". One of the reps also had a Sony DAP so reinforce they have a good ear :p

Hifiman Svanar: wired over wireless for sound quality and probably like more than IE 900 but that is guesswork. The wireless charging case is large, a unique shape and not really practical in my opinion. Would Apple, Sony or Samsung greenlight similar dimensions, but maybe that is the point... Wireless instantly paired with the DAP over LDAC and remained solid. Inappropriate for me to comment on the touch controls

Focal Bathys: if I was starting with a blank slate this would be a tempting "buy this and be done with it" purchase. Even over "lowly" aptX bluetooth to the DAP, the sound was clear, impactful and nothing "wrong". No idea if there are touch controls but really appreciate physical volume buttons

Oriolus Traillii JP: clearly top of the line but value is not there. Listened to the (I think) Penon Impact courtesy of the fellow head-fier in the next chair. The PI has 95% of the same sound for much lower cost

Unique Melody Mest III and Multiverse Mentor: first experience of the brand, both had exotic looking cables, unsure if stock. Balanced sound but bone conduction I think has been surpassed by other things at the show and would also like more air in the treble. I do not think either stood out

Noble Audio: The Sultan and Kublai Khan are both comfortably an upgrade on my original K10. With the flagships, I prefer the more detailed neutral Viking Ragnar over the richer Ronin (this is relative against each other). Others would swap the preference around. Both very spacious and if shopping in the flagship space would include on the candidate list, assuming you do not want custom fit (believe universal only)

Empire Ears: pre-show concerns were premature. Hifonix stepped up. Odin: I really like it with the exception of the upper midrange forwardness. On some tracks it works on other tracks it is distracting. Mandatory demo before purchase. Legend Evo: I like this more than the Odin even though the Odin is a better overall IEM. Legend Evo does not hide from being for bass heads and yeah could do with more treble sparkle. These qualities are less annoying than the Odin upper midrange as it is "what it says on the tin". Raven: this is the real deal. Save up for this over Odin with the asterisk of universal fit only. More balance signature while keeping all the specialness of soundstage, detail and impact. A real shame that the design means a custom will likely never happen.

Lime Ears Anima: the new updated tuning was available to demo. I have not heard the original tuning. Fit was absolutely fine, nozzle balances nicely in the canal although the rest of the monitor is big (I would choose custom for myself). Will likely vary wearer to wearer. Pretty looking monitor and likely knows it! Immediate impression was a big soundstage, possibly the biggest "IEM stage" at the show. Impactful, detailed bass and sparkly treble. If I had more time would have tried to pin down the upper midrange ; is it a touch bright, needs more note weight or both

Team Singapore: knocking. it. out. of. the. park. The entire Elise Audio section had the best in ear monitors.

Elysian Acoustics: The Diva is fine but completely overshadowed by the Annihilator, which is easily top of the line sound for everything. This is not a useful report but I would hope nobody is buying based on this post. Also heard the sold-out, discontinued Annihilator X (I think) but not as an A/B. Mentioning this in case someone did conduct just that...

Subtonic: did not listen as understand same sound as 2022 show featuring a pre-launch demo and remains possibly the best sounding IEM in the world. My focus was on "not heard this before"

Elise Audio X Symphonium Helios SE: better improved fit and more natural tuning over the original would ordinarily be an easy, just do it recommend. Noting also only 50 units (I think) will be made, but...

Nightjar Acoustics Singularity: This is a single dynamic IEM that I understand is a recent release I would buy this over the Helios SE and nearly everything else at the show with the exception of 3-to-4 models (in IEM land). Similar pricing only more bass impact, natural and spacious. The best dynamic driver IEM at the show regardless of dynamic driver count

Nightjar Acoustics "Duality": unreleased, not official name, not yet final tuning. Two dynamic drivers. More technical and impactful sound. They were testing a "add 5db sub-bass" adaptor, which possibly should be illegal. I preferred without the adaptor mind ; additional sub-bass is personal preference. Interesting to find out what signature the final release will have and if there will be a 'user tunable sound'. This brand is making me rethink "only buy customs going forward", sigh...

Addendum 1:

Cayin N30LE DAP: out of action on day 2 afternoon. Something about a tube was broken. Unfortunate...

Lotoo Mjölnir: volume 50/100 provided a comfortable volume for the Audeze LCD-5, in show conditions. Focal Utopia is child's play. With IEM there was very slight hiss and grit to the background. We are talking incredibly minor that not possibly everyone will hear and could just be show conditions the power socket used not the player. Absolutely zero issues when playback begins and I mention it only because of the proposed price. Dislike the dip switches on the front, maybe need more time with it. Or just trust that alternative designs were ruled out during development for good reason(s). I dislike "select headphone plug output selector" on the front in that I really am that lazy. Also when changing track, you have to press the touchscreen or physical button for the secondary (non-touch) display to also update, see photograph. Presumably can be fixed by firmware

A fellow head-fier wrote they could only compare with full size headphones in show conditions. I used my custom 64 Audio's, which provides the necessary isolation from the show conditions. Marginally more spacious, detailed and defined over WM1Z. I think the SP3000 is a better buy in all honesty bearing in mind A&K show discount means you can save 50% or buy 2x SP3000 for one Lotoo Mjölnir

Addendum 2:

Anecdotally, saw a number of Chord Mojo (2) and Hugo (2) owners at the show with problems getting their setup to work at all. This reinforces my thinking a compact laptop or a DAP is essential to maximise shows

Agree what you said about the UE demo shells. I can categorically say that there was a not just obvious but large, difference in favour of my custom UE18+ Pro's vs their universal demo UE18+ Pro unit

Using foam tips on the universal gets you a tad closer, but still it's like the FR has been tilted on the universal demo, with loss of bass and addition of highs (classic consequences of poor seal). And loss of vertical soundstage and instrument placement/positioning too.

About your 64 Audio A18s if you don't mind - how would you compare them to the UE demo universals? Thanks in advance :)

Aug 20, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #199 of 463
Desktop DAC+Amp (same footprint of the 12 master and 15).

Their naming is confusing for these new releases - they've called their portable DAC/Amp the CMA 18 and the desktop the CMA 18 Master
Thank you for clarifying! They make excellent gear. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing @Questyle at CanJam SoCal.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #200 of 463
I could imagine that this will be a noteable upgrade to the internal DAC.

Too bad I can't attend Canjam this time
Yeah. Why the change from the Chicago setup..? DCS was there, too.

Aug 20, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #201 of 463
This was the ZMF/JDS amp? Always glad to hear impressions of this amp are so good (fairly expected considering where it's coming from but still good to hear)
Listed to the ZMF / JDS amp in Chicago and quite enjoyed with the Atrium Closes. The amp form factor is perfect for my home office desk.

Aug 20, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #202 of 463
Love or hate set with very weird fit. I couldn't get the nozzle to go in properly with the cable still going to over the back of the ears, so will refrain from saying how I heard it in the absence of a perfect/good seal. A fellow audiophile I know liked it enough to purchase it on the spot on thanks to a generous show discount (MSRP is $1000 I believe).

it was still better with the improper seal than the new Spirit Torino open-back planar magnetic headphones though. Yeesh, that was probably the worst thing I heard all weekend. Shoddy design and construction too.

sounds like the company needs a complete refresh, not that many people happy with the sound, looks or the price.

Aug 20, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #203 of 463
20230819_153204.jpg

My highlight of the show, slam master.

Aug 20, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #204 of 463
Compliments again to the team and volunteers. Show rating 3 B's: bigger, better, bolder. All exhibitors were most accommodating, patient and welcoming. Hats off, these shows must require stamina

Impressions triangulation (same as last year save one item swap):
- Sony WM1Z first gen, Sony IER-Z1R (E4UA adaptors and Campfire Audio pure silver balanced 4.4mm cable with stock silicone tips), 64 Audio A18S custom fit.

Sennheiser HE 1 = unicorn in its own separate column. For the 15 minutes it was HvB Beethoven Fifth's Sympthony ; could not waste time browsing the streaming selection. Hear everything without anything wrong tonally or technically. If you earn 7 figures, buy this or donate to me

Insert usual show impressions and sighted bias disclaimer. Unless specifically mentioned please assume comfort and fit were fine on my ears or head. No real photographs because my smartphone is 8 years young (not a typo) and plenty of better cameras. In fact I seem to have been photographed by everyone :face_palm: ha ha

ZMF room: team ZMF are the nicest people you could meet. Spent a solid 2 hours. Was able to A/B Atrium Closed in two different woods on the dCS Lina stack. In order of preference: Caldera, Atrium open/closed, Verite open/closed but splitting hairs they each have something going for them. Knowing the Caldera closed is in development is conflicting as the clock ticks down to the expiry of the show discount... The ZMF unreleased portable headphone: the weight loss immediately apparent. There is a family sound, not the same level as the grown ups but that is expected

dCS room: did not listen to anything but spoke to the knowledgeable team. Lina was represented in the ZMF and HE 1 rooms anyhow

Effect Audio: Cleopatra II Octa attached to the IER-Z1R yielded slightly more separation, bass control and detail. Slight but detectable

Vision Ears: VE10 new model versus EXT: prefer the VE10 fit but the EXT sound as more exciting and extension. I did not think the sound especially stood out (read to the end)

Final Audio: Instantly prefer D8000 Pro over non-Pro connected to (one of the) Burson all in one desktops. The still-in-development new flagship was display only. PR manager said had hoped to have a demo version but Japan not ready to sign off the sound yet. A5000 new budget IEM model was a pleasant listen. Real attention went to the A8000 IEM: yeah the bass the better than IER-Z1R. Do not hear a midrange dip on A8000

64 Audio: only here to listen to the Fourté Blanc, the new U4S and to ask if the m12 Apex module will be available for standalone purchase (currently exclusive to buyers of the U4S). Did not hear anything in the Blanc that is interest. The U4S the budget model sounds quite competitive relative to the 64A range. It was a not yet and possibly not ever on the m12 Apex as a standalone purchase option. It was then teasingly suggested to wait 6 weeks for something new. Okay then...

Ultimate Ears: Listened to the entire line of the first time. "Clarity" was the watchword and totally get the professional popularity. Thought the Live mix of dynamic/BA was not fully coherent. New 21 driver flagship: universal demo definitely chonk. I think they made a mistake with the nozzle design ; it is by no means the only hefty IEM at the show or in the world. I would strongly recommend UE re-design the universal demo unit for more consistent fit for potential custom orders

A&K SP3000: finally updated the interface and processor for fast navigation that everyone expects in the modern era. The design choice of sharp corners is confusing and means in practice an outer case is needed whether for home or travel. Obviously much more driving power than anything by Sony ; the Meze flagship is happier driven by the SP3K versus Sony DAP. Silver, black and copper all present. At the show sounded the same, noting the forum posts and A&K themselves suggesting a difference. Compared to WM1Z first gen more extended, separation and detail. More sub-bass rumble. Not "throw away WM1Z v1" difference. But the SP3K can be the all-use-cases purchase ; desktop and portable...

Fir Audio: yeah kinetic bass is doing something and not just marketing. I prefer the KR5 over the Xe6. The X6 is too bass heavy though totally get this is preference (I have the coloured sounding Fostex TH900 at home). Radon 6: standout sub-bass, layering, detail and I think W signature. R6 a warmer sounding monitor over KR5 but not as dark as Xe6

Sennheiser: (disclaimer: everyone will likely own or have heard the full size lineup). The team were super polite responding to my query about an official HD 540 ear pad (figured worse answer is a no, which indeed it was). Moving on, the IE lineup stood out for their small dimensions and therefore easy "do not need to think about it" fit. IE 600 is probably tuned "too good" in that the sound is 'close enough' to IE 900 the value proposition is with the IE 600. Did not hear a midrange dip or treble sizzle that I have read about on the IE 600 or IE 900. Might be the Sony source at play. IE 200: £130 RRP is the headline for entry to a balanced Sennheiser sound. Signature is touch lean for my taste, but we are comparing to more expensive monitors

QDC: UK show debut (thank you head-fi). VX: totally get the praise and the tunable signature provides flexibility. V14: I actually enjoyed the additional est treble drivers and "switch 3 and 4 up" for classical. VX better 'value'. Also heard the Dmagic. Recall a neutral sound nothing especially standout - the lack of any glaring tonality issues is a plus. Save up for VX if looking at the QDC family. If you must own a triple dynamic, buy this over the Campfire Trifecta all day, every day

Soundz: Only heard the 4, 7 and 10 driver flagship. Getting to the end of the show had to prioritise, no time even say hello to Jude who sat down next to me, ha. Good tuning, reasonable height and starting with a baseline of no glaring tonality problem is an immediate plus for the future of the company. I would like slightly more width and also density overall but that is not necessarily "right" nor "correct". One of the reps also had a Sony DAP so reinforce they have a good ear :p

Hifiman Svanar: wired over wireless for sound quality and probably like more than IE 900 but that is guesswork. The wireless charging case is large, a unique shape and not really practical in my opinion. Would Apple, Sony or Samsung greenlight similar dimensions, but maybe that is the point... Wireless instantly paired with the DAP over LDAC and remained solid. Inappropriate for me to comment on the touch controls

Focal Bathys: if I was starting with a blank slate this would be a tempting "buy this and be done with it" purchase. Even over "lowly" aptX bluetooth to the DAP, the sound was clear, impactful and nothing "wrong". No idea if there are touch controls but really appreciate physical volume buttons

Oriolus Traillii JP: clearly top of the line but value is not there. Listened to the (I think) Penon Impact courtesy of the fellow head-fier in the next chair. The PI has 95% of the same sound for much lower cost

Unique Melody Mest III and Multiverse Mentor: first experience of the brand, both had exotic looking cables, unsure if stock. Balanced sound but bone conduction I think has been surpassed by other things at the show and would also like more air in the treble. I do not think either stood out

Noble Audio: The Sultan and Kublai Khan are both comfortably an upgrade on my original K10. With the flagships, I prefer the more detailed neutral Viking Ragnar over the richer Ronin (this is relative against each other). Others would swap the preference around. Both very spacious and if shopping in the flagship space would include on the candidate list, assuming you do not want custom fit (believe universal only)

Empire Ears: pre-show concerns were premature. Hifonix stepped up. Odin: I really like it with the exception of the upper midrange forwardness. On some tracks it works on other tracks it is distracting. Mandatory demo before purchase. Legend Evo: I like this more than the Odin even though the Odin is a better overall IEM. Legend Evo does not hide from being for bass heads and yeah could do with more treble sparkle. These qualities are less annoying than the Odin upper midrange as it is "what it says on the tin". Raven: this is the real deal. Save up for this over Odin with the asterisk of universal fit only. More balance signature while keeping all the specialness of soundstage, detail and impact. A real shame that the design means a custom will likely never happen.

Lime Ears Anima: the new updated tuning was available to demo. I have not heard the original tuning. Fit was absolutely fine, nozzle balances nicely in the canal although the rest of the monitor is big (I would choose custom for myself). Will likely vary wearer to wearer. Pretty looking monitor and likely knows it! Immediate impression was a big soundstage, possibly the biggest "IEM stage" at the show. Impactful, detailed bass and sparkly treble. If I had more time would have tried to pin down the upper midrange ; is it a touch bright, needs more note weight or both

Team Singapore: knocking. it. out. of. the. park. The entire Elise Audio section had the best in ear monitors.

Elysian Acoustics: The Diva is fine but completely overshadowed by the Annihilator, which is easily top of the line sound for everything. This is not a useful report but I would hope nobody is buying based on this post. Also heard the sold-out, discontinued Annihilator X (I think) but not as an A/B. Mentioning this in case someone did conduct just that...

Subtonic: did not listen as understand same sound as 2022 show featuring a pre-launch demo and remains possibly the best sounding IEM in the world. My focus was on "not heard this before"

Elise Audio X Symphonium Helios SE: better improved fit and more natural tuning over the original would ordinarily be an easy, just do it recommend. Noting also only 50 units (I think) will be made, but...

Nightjar Acoustics Singularity: This is a single dynamic IEM that I understand is a recent release I would buy this over the Helios SE and nearly everything else at the show with the exception of 3-to-4 models (in IEM land). Similar pricing only more bass impact, natural and spacious. The best dynamic driver IEM at the show regardless of dynamic driver count

Nightjar Acoustics "Duality": unreleased, not official name, not yet final tuning. Two dynamic drivers. More technical and impactful sound. They were testing a "add 5db sub-bass" adaptor, which possibly should be illegal. I preferred without the adaptor mind ; additional sub-bass is personal preference. Interesting to find out what signature the final release will have and if there will be a 'user tunable sound'. This brand is making me rethink "only buy customs going forward", sigh...

Addendum 1:

Cayin N30LE DAP: out of action on day 2 afternoon. Something about a tube was broken. Unfortunate...

Lotoo Mjölnir: volume 50/100 provided a comfortable volume for the Audeze LCD-5, in show conditions. Focal Utopia is child's play. With IEM there was very slight hiss and grit to the background. We are talking incredibly minor that not possibly everyone will hear and could just be show conditions the power socket used not the player. Absolutely zero issues when playback begins and I mention it only because of the proposed price. Dislike the dip switches on the front, maybe need more time with it. Or just trust that alternative designs were ruled out during development for good reason(s). I dislike "select headphone plug output selector" on the front in that I really am that lazy. Also when changing track, you have to press the touchscreen or physical button for the secondary (non-touch) display to also update, see photograph. Presumably can be fixed by firmware

A fellow head-fier wrote they could only compare with full size headphones in show conditions. I used my custom 64 Audio's, which provides the necessary isolation from the show conditions. Marginally more spacious, detailed and defined over WM1Z. I think the SP3000 is a better buy in all honesty bearing in mind A&K show discount means you can save 50% or buy 2x SP3000 for one Lotoo Mjölnir

Addendum 2:

Anecdotally, saw a number of Chord Mojo (2) and Hugo (2) owners at the show with problems getting their setup to work at all. This reinforces my thinking a compact laptop or a DAP is essential to maximise shows

Noble does make custom versions of the flagship models

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Aug 21, 2023 at 12:52 AM Post #205 of 463

My highlight of the show, slam master.
I like this thing more the more that I look at it :astonished: It's so... simple, but so... different looking... and Christmas lighty :christmas_tree: ($17-24K, ouch)

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 2:28 AM Post #207 of 463
Any pictures from the new Final flagship?

Aug 21, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #209 of 463
They were in a glass box the whole time and we were not allowed the try it, so nothing new other than the YT videos of earlier shows.
Nah, they did allow people to handle it:

1692600503703.png
1692600522100.png
1692600552140.png

1692600574559.png
1692600604777.png
1692600619543.png

Satoshi from final was there to share more information about the 6 years of R&D involving a collaboration with a famous acoustic engineering lab in Kyushu University to study HRTF responses and more beyond just the headphones and drivers. It weighs ~220 g, is extremely comfortable despite not looking so. Shame we could not plug it in to listen to it though!

Aug 21, 2023 at 2:59 AM Post #210 of 463
Agree what you said about the UE demo shells. I can categorically say that there was a not just obvious but large, difference in favour of my custom UE18+ Pro's vs their universal demo UE18+ Pro unit

Using foam tips on the universal gets you a tad closer, but still it's like the FR has been tilted on the universal demo, with loss of bass and addition of highs (classic consequences of poor seal). And loss of vertical soundstage and instrument placement/positioning too.

About your 64 Audio A18s if you don't mind - how would you compare them to the UE demo universals? Thanks in advance :)

Hmm well my ears fit well with 64 Audio universals, which is not everyone, as far as I can tell U18S and A18S is the same sound, save the outer shell bit of customs means greater isolation

I can report that wearing the 64 CIEM for 5 minutes or 5 hours is the same high comfort no wearing fatigue. The fit is just right, not loose not pressing in. Attribute this to the apex modules and 64's '3D fit' capturing all the detail and nuances of the physical impressions taken by Gisele Flower (this is based on visual comparison to the - older - custom Noble K10 original also using Gisele impressions)

CanJam UE rep advised me to stick with Gisele who is the best audiologist in Europe. Newer digital impressions too inconsistent

As everyone knows, ears will vary. I understand 64 recommend a deep tip and 'hold in' the universal demo to simulate custom fitting. I expect this advice is important to really hear what the upper frequencies will be like in a custom fit.

Relatively the co-flagship U18T universal demo has extra treble detail over my A18S that possibly is desirable in a studio or personal preference but I am unsure is natural. Can EQ up treble or change the source without giving up the bass foundation of the A18S

Nah, they did allow people to handle it:

Satoshi from final was there to share more information about the 6 years of R&D involving a collaboration with a famous acoustic engineering lab in Kyushu University to study HRTF responses and more beyond just the headphones and drivers. It weighs ~220 g, is extremely comfortable despite not looking so. Shame we could not plug it in to listen to it though!

I got to touch it also. A sci fi movie vibe I look forward to when Final permit demoing

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back