New top Lotoo Mjolnir
Aug 19, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #302 of 685
I’m not sure it did.
I had the volume very high and kept having the feeling this just doesn’t seem to be a 2.5w amp?
It was clean sounding as you would expect but to me wasn’t very powerful.

This might be a pre production example??
I would advise a personal addition before purchase.

Aug 19, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #303 of 685
I'm following the conversation here and is it just me that is having this question? Mjolnir no doubt will be very very good (if Lotoo's track record isn't violated this time around, which there's no reason to suspect it will). However, it's not just a matter of being very very good. The question is, opting for a single DAC (and not even the latest AKM flagship), and with so much real estate for implementing the pre- and amplification stages, is it going to be clearly better-sounding (imaging, stage, clarity and definition, extension and dynamic range, etc.) than the top two DAPs currently around (DX320 Max and A&K SP3000)? Driving power alone does not a desktop sound make and, admittedly, these two very very good DAPs are not (quite) high-end desktop level. But, at half the price, they are really good portable options, so for one to justify dipping deep into their pockets for the Mjolnir (and carrying around all that real estate), it will have to be high-end desktop level sound. That's the sort of review I'm waiting to see, one that is not afraid to pit Mjolnir against its top competitors.

Aug 19, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #304 of 685
I’m not sure it did.
I had the volume very high and kept having the feeling this just doesn’t seem to be a 2.5w amp?
It was clean sounding as you would expect but to me wasn’t very powerful.

This might be a pre production example??
I would advise a personal addition before purchase.
Argh. Hopefully we'll get an explanation on this tomorrow otherwise Lotoo's claim that Mjolnir can drive 99% of headphones is looking a bit doubtful.

If Hifonix are demoing the retail unit tomorrow, as @musicday says, then why not just do it today to avoid this less than ideal first impression?

Aug 19, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #305 of 685
Same here. As I stated already, there is definitively NOT 2,5w in it. It was same volume than my a&k3000 and it needed to be pushed at 80% to drive the DCA phone !!!

Hifonix told us that they just received the « real » unit that is still unpacked because they did not had time to set-it up !!! A shame because this prototype ( that could not even read the USB stick) could cause a lot of bad publicity.

We cross fingers that the low output power is just an issue with the prototype….

Aug 19, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #306 of 685
It might be the retail unit for all I know?

They also had the N30LE and RU7 there that weren’t working.
Well the N30LE was working towards the end of the day but only one valve operating.
Side by side with the Lotoo .
Even in solid state mode I preferred the Cayin but wouldn’t buy one.

Build quality on the Lotoo was excellent.
Wish there was a way to turn that blue light off around the volume dial?
Makes it look like something from toys are us flashing away.

Find of the day for me was a Analog Squared Paper TUR-08.

Attachments

• IMG_1221.jpeg
    IMG_1221.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1222.jpeg
    IMG_1222.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1228.jpeg
    IMG_1228.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1197.jpeg
    IMG_1197.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1195.jpeg
    IMG_1195.jpeg
  • IMG_1192.jpeg
    IMG_1192.jpeg
Aug 19, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #307 of 685
It might be the retail unit for all I know?

They also had the N30LE and RU7 there that weren’t working.
Well the N30LE was working towards the end of the day but only one valve operating.
Side by side with the Lotoo .
Even in solid state mode I preferred the Cayin but wouldn’t buy one.

Build quality on the Lotoo was excellent.
Wish there was a way to turn that blue light off around the volume dial?
Makes it look like something from toys are us flashing away.

Find of the day for me was a Analog Squared Paper TUR-08.
where did you find this TUR-08 ? On what booth ? ? I am a big fan of Analog square paper, I owe TUR-05 and the little 06 !
How the TUR-08 sounded ?

Also do you mean you Compared the <2000$ Cayin to Mjölnir and prefered the Cayin !?!?

Aug 19, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #308 of 685
The TUR-08 is next to the Mass Kobo amp.
I think the dealer is Elise audio?

I think the Cayin is $5000 and no I wouldn’t pick either of them.
Saying that this is in show conditions and I know one unit wasn’t fully fit and the other might not be a production unit.

You really need too compare them early when the show will be quite.👍

Aug 19, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #309 of 685
What exact Cayin model is 5000 ?

Aug 19, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #310 of 685
It’s the new Cayin N30LE and it even comes with a set of iems for another £6000-£7000 called the Amber Pearl.
Limited edition special.

Saw some grown men going weak at the knees looking at it today.
By all accounts it’s the new Willy waving king of the hill dap??

As the previous poster suggested is this really that much better than the top AK or Ibasso units??

Personal choice I would have the later and a nice desktop amplifier.

Aug 19, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #311 of 685
I share the same opinions on the Mjolnir as the others from CanJam; I don’t believe it was working properly. It did not sound right with Storm, and I’m sure something was up with this unit as I listened to it right after the Cayin N30.
The difference in power and presentation was too wide for it to be a design choice.
It also sounded very different from when I tested in Munich.
I wouldn’t consider this test conclusive at all , personally. I’ll try again tomorrow !

Aug 20, 2023 at 6:10 AM Post #312 of 685
Just back again to try the Lotoo Mjolnir. This this is addictive. I mean I like the Lotoo brand and their own sound signature. I just needed to spend more time with it and get to know it better. This time using the Focal Utopia 2022 model and I find the synergy great. Listen at 46 volume level in this loud environment, is plenty enough for me.
Again is very important to be reminded this a pre-production model and the firmware version is not final.
The UI is great and very responsive, exactly at the LPGT. I think this is a great gifh end all in one portable audio system.
Certainly Lotoo will improve the software and get rid of all the bugs. For example now I can't turn off the breathing light but the option is there in the settings.
Also been told the batteries are easily replaceable so another great selling point.
Yesterday I thought it lacks power, but I don't think this is the case anymore once you get to hear the player for longer of time. You need to get used to it, and also depends on your listening level and what type of headphones you use. Did I mention the build quality is fantastic just like att the other players they make.
Looking forward to hear it in final version as I already love it.

Attachments

• 20230820_105610_HDR.jpg
    20230820_105610_HDR.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Aug 20, 2023 at 6:14 AM Post #313 of 685
I share the same opinions on the Mjolnir as the others from CanJam; I don’t believe it was working properly. It did not sound right with Storm, and I’m sure something was up with this unit as I listened to it right after the Cayin N30.
The difference in power and presentation was too wide for it to be a design choice.
It also sounded very different from when I tested in Munich.
I wouldn’t consider this test conclusive at all , personally. I’ll try again tomorrow !
please keep us informed, especially pairing with storm is my main concern. i ordered mjolnir only for the storm with higher hopes and if there’s even the slightest doubt i will have to cancel it and perhaps get myself a lpgt ti with proper external amp whatever that may be…

Aug 20, 2023 at 6:18 AM Post #314 of 685
Just back again to try the Lotoo Mjolnir. This this is addictive. I mean I like the Lotoo brand and their own sound signature. I just needed to spend more time with it and get to know it better. This time using the Focal Utopia 2022 model and I find the synergy great. Listen at 46 volume level in this loud environment, is plenty enough for me.
Again is very important to be reminded this a pre-production model and the firmware version is not final.
The UI is great and very responsive, exactly at the LPGT. I think this is a great gifh end all in one portable audio system.
Certainly Lotoo will improve the software and get rid of all the bugs. For example now I can't turn off the breathing light but the option is there in the settings.
Also been told the batteries are easily replaceable so another great selling point.
Yesterday I thought it lacks power, but I don't think this is the case anymore once you get to hear the player for longer of time. You need to get used to it, and also depends on your listening level and what type of headphones you use. Did I mention the build quality is fantastic just like att the other players they make.
Looking forward to hear it in final version as I already love it.
So no actual retail unit today?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back