New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Mar 24, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #8,731 of 9,406
New firmware update available today for the SP1000M.

V.1.53
- Added option to save favorite tracks
- Added bookmark feature in folder view
- Added AK Connect Speaker selection on the Home screen
- Added year/name sorting capabilities in the Artist-album menu
- Added option-specific search function in search:frowning2:MQS, DSD, Album, Artist)
- Added resume function
- Added ability to change listed order of playlists
- Added option to select DAC Filter
- Added option to select video streaming or music-only streaming in V-LINK app
- Operational stability improvements
That is incredibly disappointing - No Roon - No explanation - kind of sums up several years of ownership of SP1000M !

Mar 24, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #8,732 of 9,406
Thanks for this, maybe I just haven't grasped the full benefits of Roon as I havent used it. But what I'm sensing is that basically it just allows you to navigate your SP1K from another device such as an iPad or computer, and to me this is pointless as if I have to use the SP1K as an endpoint then i'd use the SP1K!
No worries. Roon is very powerful, but can be overkill for simple setups. Re: what you're saying here, it's not that using a different device to navigate is a plus, exactly, but rather that the Roon interface is sufficiently sophisticated that it would be challenging to pack all of its functionality onto a small touchscreen. For example, I have Roon Remote on my phone, but I almost never use that since the Roon interface is so much better on even a small tablet (e.g., Galaxy TabA).

Coming from familiarity with Roon, the ability to control the music stream on my SP1000 without constantly turning on the screen and trying not to fat-finger the controls is actually kinda nice. Once I set up Roon streaming I can turn the screen off on my player and just grab a tablet to change what's playing. While I get how that sounds like an unnecessary complication, Roon only works on a LAN, anyway, which means I'll only ever use it at home, where I always have my tablet, a couple laptops, and my phone. It's really no burden to use another device to control the stream, and the bigger screen real estate of a tablet becomes a plus due to the improved navigation over a screen the size of SP1K's.

OR: could I then use the line out of the SP1K and into another amp which controls speakers throughout my home? Without loss of quality? If so, then that would be very useful as I could control all the music via the iPad if the GUI is great. Can this be done?

Yeah, absolutely. You could use the SP1K as a streamer, and the Roon interface is like a supercharged version of AK Connect.

Mar 24, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #8,733 of 9,406
That is incredibly disappointing - No Roon - No explanation - kind of sums up several years of ownership of SP1000M !
Fingers crossed that we see Roon support on SP1KM as well. I have both SP1K and SP1KM (and Kann Cube, and an AK380 that I'm sure will never see Roon support now). I use my SP1K mainly for full-size headphones since I have the amp module, and the SP1KM for IEMs. I would really prefer to use Roon on the SP1KM since it's less bulky. Also, it would be fantastic to get Roon support on a second DAP since that would open up more possibilities for listening with others.

Anyway, hopefully whatever the hangup might be isn't insurmountable. Getting Roon on SP1K only makes me want it more on SP1KM.

Mar 24, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #8,734 of 9,406

Yeah, I realize @JasonNYC (and customers as well) got really burned by the entire "Roon Ready" fiasco and timeline delays. I really wish we could get more information on the current status, is it actually being worked on or not, expected date, etc? I'm still sitting on a SR15 and SP1000M, hoping the announced (2018) updates arrive. The lack of information/explanation is particularly frustrating. :rolling_eyes:

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #8,735 of 9,406
Dear Astell&Kern,

Subject: SP 1000m

Thanks for the new firmware, 50 weeks after the last update. Just kidding, not only did it take almost a year, the jump is so small that it can be described as almost measly. It makes you cry.
But I'll keep it like Neil Armstrong "It's a big step for me (A&K) but a small step for mankind " :)

1) Dozens of requests for Roon were ignored
2) Identical album names still show the same covers (and can be found under one album cover in the album cover folder)
3) folder names are still visible under Windows after they been deleted in the player

Now i can sort the Artist-album by year/name, but why from new to old? (Never mind!, better than nothing)
Thanks for this feature.

A&K, please, please, make it possible (maybe in the next firmware by April 2022) that I can lock the buttons when the screen is black (like the volume wheel). It's a pain in the ass when you put the player in the pocket and by every movement the track starts again (or something else).

A&K put the sauce code on the web and I think there are some skilled programmers out there who imply improvements faster and better (My humble opinion).

Cheers and stay Healthy

Mar 25, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #8,736 of 9,406
Dear Astell&Kern,

Subject: SP 1000m

Thanks for the new firmware, 50 weeks after the last update. Just kidding, not only did it take almost a year, the jump is so small that it can be described as almost measly. It makes you cry.
But I'll keep it like Neil Armstrong "It's a big step for me (A&K) but a small step for mankind " :)

1) Dozens of requests for Roon were ignored
2) Identical album names still show the same covers (and can be found under one album cover in the album cover folder)
3) folder names are still visible under Windows after they been deleted in the player

Now i can sort the Artist-album by year/name, but why from new to old? (Never mind!, better than nothing)
Thanks for this feature.

A&K, please, please, make it possible (maybe in the next firmware by April 2022) that I can lock the buttons when the screen is black (like the volume wheel). It's a pain in the ass when you put the player in the pocket and by every movement the track starts again (or something else).

A&K put the sauce code on the web and I think there are some skilled programmers out there who imply improvements faster and better (My humble opinion).

Cheers and stay Healthy
Heinz or HP? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::laughing:

Mar 26, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #8,738 of 9,406
Mar 26, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #8,739 of 9,406
I just updated my SP1000 to the latest firmware, and I can no longer get it work with my Mac is USB DAC mode (player in MTP USB mode). USB Mode simply never highlights – I've tried restarting both Mac and SP1000. Previously Android File Transfer would load when I plugged in the SP1000, and then I could enable USB Mode (the button on the SP1000 would highlight). Now neither of these work. Anyone else having this issue?

I use Roon on my Mac so I just started using the SP1000 in Roon Ready mode, which is fine, but I'd prefer to use it as a USB DAC since I'm at my desk. It seemed to stop working just after the firmware update.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #8,740 of 9,406
I just updated my SP1000 to the latest firmware, and I can no longer get it work with my Mac is USB DAC mode (player in MTP USB mode). USB Mode simply never highlights – I've tried restarting both Mac and SP1000. Previously Android File Transfer would load when I plugged in the SP1000, and then I could enable USB Mode (the button on the SP1000 would highlight). Now neither of these work. Anyone else having this issue?

I use Roon on my Mac so I just started using the SP1000 in Roon Ready mode, which is fine, but I'd prefer to use it as a USB DAC since I'm at my desk. It seemed to stop working just after the firmware update.
What MacOS version and chipset (Intel or M1) are you using?

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Mar 26, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #8,741 of 9,406
Good question – it's the 2019 16" MBP (Intel i9), running Catalina 10.15.7. It's a work computer so I can't upgrade it yet to Big Sur. But it was working fine until the firmware update (I think, at least, hadn't used it for a few weeks).

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #8,742 of 9,406
Good question – it's the 2019 16" MBP (Intel i9), running Catalina 10.15.7. It's a work computer so I can't upgrade it yet to Mojave. But it was working fine until the firmware update (I think, at least, hadn't used it for a few weeks).
Thank you. Let me talk to our support team. I have a Windows 10 machine so i can't test, but they have Macs to test.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Mar 26, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #8,744 of 9,406
Was thinking the same here. There's no reason the SP1000m shouldn't or couldn't get it. It is literally a miniaturized version of the SP1000 and is identical hardware wise.

So in theory, all testing and certification has already been completed for it.
It's called 'trickle-down.' Why should AK release a new service for a device that's $1,100 less than their TOTL DAPs? AK will do it after some time.

It's not personal - just business.

Mar 26, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #8,745 of 9,406
Thank you so much! I can try to test with another cable and an M1 Mac as well, just to narrow things down. I don't believe I've updated Catalina since it was working.
I have MBP M1 with latest OS. AFT no longer works. There Mac cannot see the Android device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back