New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Feb 19, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #1,156 of 4,177
rlw6534

Think I spoke to Davvy of UAPP when I tried with my 1AM2 and said DSD wouldn't work.

Walkman Music app still best for all your own files IMO, but UAPP OK for Tidal MQA streaming. Far longer battery life too using Walkman Music app.

I don't think native DSD works even with the Walkman app. At least that was the case with the A105 (converts to PCM). I know on the ZX507, you have to use balanced for native DSD, not single-ended. Maybe it's changed or I'm wrong?

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #1,157 of 4,177
I don't think native DSD works even with the Walkman app. At least that was the case with the A105 (converts to PCM). I know on the ZX507, you have to use balanced for native DSD, not single-ended. Maybe it's changed or I'm wrong?
It may convert to PCM, but recognised correctly and sounds way, way better than in UAPP.

As good as DSD on any device I've had, even Mojo.

20230219_125724.jpg

Walkman app even has DSD settings and option to output to external DAC as PCM or RAW!

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #1,158 of 4,177
It may convert to PCM, but recognised correctly and sounds way, way better than in UAPP.

As good as DSD on any device I've had, even Mojo.

Walkman app even has DSD settings and option to output to external DAC as PCM or RAW!

I only have a few DSD albums, but I can look at logcat and see what's actually happening with the Walkman app and UAPP and the audio path. I'll try to report back later today. Mostly just curiosity of course. I haven't reinstalled UAPP on my replacement JP A306 yet since I did a factory reset...

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #1,159 of 4,177
Does anyone know if you can adjust the L-R balance?

As my hearing is not so good on one side, I normally tweak the balance to recenter the sound as I hear it.

Thanks in advance. 😎👍
Wavelet app (Android system wide EQ) has left / right balance.

Description from Wavelet website:
Channel balance said:
Channel balance allows you to control the left and right channel output volumes separately. This can come in handy when you can’t sit in center of your speaker setup or when your headphones have a difference in impedance between their left and right channels. Some phones have a limiter built in that causes volume ducking when you boost above a certain amount of dB. You can also use this feature to control the overall volume output and to prevent this ducking from happening.

Channel gain controls the balance between left and right.

Feb 19, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #1,160 of 4,177
I only have a few DSD albums, but I can look at logcat and see what's actually happening with the Walkman app and UAPP and the audio path. I'll try to report back later today. Mostly just curiosity of course. I haven't reinstalled UAPP on my replacement JP A306 yet since I did a factory reset...

Both the Walkman app and UAPP are playing DSD64 at 176.4 PCM. The only difference is that UAPP is converting the stream in the app and the Walkman app sends the DSD stream to the DAC which then converts to 176.4. They both use the red path.

Feb 19, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #1,161 of 4,177
Wavelet app (Android system wide EQ) has left / right balance.

Description from Wavelet website:
I'd been playing about with this today, but the App only seems to take effect with streaming? 🤔

It certainly works there and saw a -1.7dB change required to centre the vocal.

Feb 19, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #1,162 of 4,177
I'd been playing about with this today, but the App only seems to take effect with streaming? 🤔

It certainly works there and saw a -1.7dB change required to centre the vocal.
I used Wavelet for a short time on my ZX507 and it was working even with the Walkman player, but if I remember correctly I had to set Wavelet to legacy mode and also launch it before launching the music player. Anyway I don't remember the details.

On the Wavelet site, they mention Enhanced session detection which is sort of a hack which gives Wavelet other permissions to function. This may be needed as a work around for full functionality? One other thing this tells me is that Android Dev tool might be able to access other areas of the Walkman device to change region settings which affect output power, anyway that is just a passing thought. (Referring to this post I made about accessing the Walkman DAP without rooting it.)

Enhanced session detection said:
Disclaimer: Enhanced session detection is experimental and available only for Android 10 and up.
If you choose to activate enhanced session detection, Wavelet will actively listen for music sessions instead of relying on being notified when a session starts. The DUMP permission is required to allow Wavelet to filter the required information from the device system services needed to attach and release audio effects to audio sessions. The advantage of enhanced session detection is that there is no need to depend on other applications opening and closing their audio sessions properly, which means it should work properly with every media session.

Instructions to activate enhanced session detection:

• Activate developer options and enable USB debugging on your device as instructed on https://developer.android.com/studio/debug/dev-options
    • On Xiaomi devices, it is mandatory to enable USB debugging (Security Settings)
    • On Realme and OPPO devices, it is mandatory to disable permission monitoring under settings - security center
  • Connect your device with a computer
  • Open Chrome on your computer, browse to https://app.webadb.com/#/shell and add and connect your device
  • Run the following command in the shell: pm grant com.pittvandewitt.wavelet android.permission.DUMP
  • Go to notification listener access and enable the permission for Wavelet
If you wish to switch back to the old behaviour, you can do so by disabling notification listener access for Wavelet and/or by running pm revoke com.pittvandewitt.wavelet android.permission.DUMP.

Feb 19, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #1,163 of 4,177
Both the Walkman app and UAPP are playing DSD64 at 176.4 PCM. The only difference is that UAPP is converting the stream in the app and the Walkman app sends the DSD stream to the DAC which then converts to 176.4. They both use the red path.
So why does Walkman app sound massively better with DSD in Walkman appvs UAPP ?

Purely down to Direct to DAC?

You must hear to large difference?

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #1,164 of 4,177
Everything sounds better in the walkman app to me. Hiby music and neutron sound great but the walkman app sounds more natural and balanced with better depth. DSD definitely sounds better in the walkman app.

Feb 19, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #1,165 of 4,177
So why does Walkman app sound massively better with DSD in Walkman appvs UAPP ?

Purely down to Direct to DAC?

You must hear to large difference?

I didn't listen much as I was using logcat to monitor the system. I don't doubt you at all. Possibly UAPP isn't as good at the conversion or isn't handling it correctly? I am confident in what I saw in logcat (which agrees with my A105 experience). You might notice that Sony only claims "Native" DSD on the ZX707, which actually requires a balanced connection to work (same as ZX500).

Feb 19, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #1,166 of 4,177
I didn't listen much as I was using logcat to monitor the system. I don't doubt you at all. Possibly UAPP isn't as good at the conversion or isn't handling it correctly? I am confident in what I saw in logcat (which agrees with my A105 experience). You might notice that Sony only claims "Native" DSD on the ZX707, which actually requires a balanced connection to work (same as ZX500).
I think my 1AM2 did native DSD on 3.5mm also, but DSD as you say is only a curiosity and I only have a few for that reason.

Feb 19, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #1,167 of 4,177
I think my 1AM2 did native DSD on 3.5mm also, but DSD as you say is only a curiosity and I only have a few for that reason.
Likewise, I bought a few in digital just to see what DSD was all about, but I rarely listen to them. If I do, I'll use the Walkman App (or another DAP that has native support)...

Feb 19, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #1,168 of 4,177
In here : https://www.google.com/amp/s/porta-...offering-with-the-nw-zx707-and-nw-a306/?amp=1

Both players feature the S-Master™ HX digital amplifier technology, independently developed for Walkman®. The native DSD format compatible full digital amplifier reduces distortion and noise acrosss a wide range of frequencies, further enhanced by the use of high-quality lead-free solder.

Feb 19, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #1,169 of 4,177
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back