New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Feb 20, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #1,186 of 4,137
I tested a demo a306 at the Sony store, that one definitely didn’t have the bass cut - it was nice and plentiful bass, similar to zx507. Made me sad Sony didn’t want to sell me the demo unit and they didn’t have anymore in stock.

I wonder if you go back and they have new stock if they would let you try one before you buy it, to make sure. Or if not, I guess you could open it in the store and test it out and return it if it has no bass. Is this the same region as the one you returned?

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #1,187 of 4,137
I wonder if you go back and they have new stock if they would let you try one before you buy it, to make sure. Or if not I guess you could open it in the store and test it out and return it if it has no bass.
Yea I will open there and then with my test and measuring gear, firing frequency sweeps in the Sony store - I’m not taking any chances

Feb 20, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #1,189 of 4,137
I tested a demo a306 at the Sony store, that one definitely didn’t have the bass cut - it was nice and plentiful bass, similar to zx507. Made me sad Sony didn’t want to sell me the demo unit and they didn’t have anymore in stock.
yeah mine has plenty of bass i was opening the box dreading the no bass problem ,is it that the bass is very soft or there is no bass in the song at all being played?....i have not done the REW test yet though

Feb 20, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #1,190 of 4,137
If anything, i would expect that adding extra adapters to have a negative impact on the sound.
Can't imagine any "improvements" since it's the same output with the same characteristics.
I short piece of extra copper and if well soldered is going to change nothing. Why Sony include in spec if not better/improvement.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #1,191 of 4,137
yeah mine has plenty of bass i was opening the box dreading the no bass problem ,is it that the bass is very soft or there is no bass in the song at all being played?....i have not done the REW test yet though

I swear my first US one had the problem, it just sounded tinny and anemic. Even with the volume cranked up and eq engaged. My normal eq setting for my iems is about 6 db boost at 31. I like a bit of extra rumble. I thought maybe it was because it was capped, but looking back the bass was so soft. I hated the sound. Until I overdrived the amp with hiby eq then it got some bass and sounded better.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #1,192 of 4,137
I short piece of extra copper and if well soldered is going to change noting. Why Sony include in spec if not better/improvement.

Yep, someone tested a bunch of adapters from different brands and they all were really low impedance except an older DD hi fi, I had the model and you could tell, it actually muffled the highs a bit The next model after that fixed the higher impedance issue though. DD usually makes good stuff.

Feb 20, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #1,193 of 4,137
Most of the adpters are very transparent with little to no resistance. Plus it definitely has wider staging with the balanced adapter for me. It's readily apparent. My adapter is pretty inconspicuous, going from a right angle to a right angle 2.5 plug. Plus it was 9 dollars.

Yep, instantly noticeable on a familiar few tracks, instrument placement seems more precise, room seems larger with more echo/decay type effect, bit more three dimensional. Bit more pristine, snap/clarity to piano keys etc.

If not directly A-Bing its not massively noticeable but I will leave my M9's using the balanced as most noticeable with them.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #1,194 of 4,137
Yep, instantly noticeable on a familiar few tracks, instrument placement seems more precise, room seems larger with more echo/decay type effect, bit more three dimensional. Bit more pristine, snap/clarity to piano keys etc.

If not directly A-Bing its not massively noticeable but this I will leave my M9's using the balanced as most noticeable with them.

Yes it's not massive change as the power and sound sig are unchanged but I agree on your assessment. If I don't use it I notice, it sounds better with it to me. I mean if you've got balanced cables I'd say it's worth a try, especially since they're pretty inexpensive and if bought on Amazon are easy to return if you don't hear any benefit. Don't take our word for it lol try it. 😀

Although our word is like platinum coated with gold and palladium 😉

Ha ha

In all serious the thing I'm enjoying most about this little dap besides the pristine sound is the battery. It's so nice to be able to stream some and not see the battery go down like Subway stock.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #1,195 of 4,137
Yes it's not massive change as the power and sound sig are unchanged but I agree on your assessment. If I don't use it I notice, it sounds better with it to me. I mean if you've got balanced cables I'd say it's worth a try, especially since they're pretty inexpensive and if bought on Amazon are easy to return if you don't hear any benefit. Don't take our word for it lol try it. 😀

Although our word is like platinum coated with gold and palladium 😉

Ha ha

I certainly wouldn't buy a £120 dedicated cable for the difference (3.5mm to mmcx TRRS cable on ebay). Plus I like Sony stock cable design/feel etc.

Feb 20, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #1,196 of 4,137
I swear my first US one had the problem, it just sounded tinny and anemic. Even with the volume cranked up and eq engaged. My normal eq setting for my iems is about 6 db boost at 31. I like a bit of extra rumble. I thought maybe it was because it was capped, but looking back the bass was so soft. I hated the sound. Until I overdrived the amp with hiby eq then it got some bass and sounded better.
hmmm could it be some of the capped units were labeled as uncapped who knows ...I have heard a capped unit and music is lifeless sounding on it ..A pic of my serial number attached mine definitely has bass

Attachments

• PXL_20230220_161734331.jpg
    PXL_20230220_161734331.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Feb 20, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #1,197 of 4,137
I certainly wouldn't buy a £120 dedicated cable for the difference (3.5mm to mmcx TRRS cable on ebay). Plus I like Sony stock cable design/feel etc.

No I wouldn't either, that would be foolish I think 😉 Unless you've got money to burn, in that case I could recommend a good charity- Scoto's pockets.

Feb 20, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #1,198 of 4,137
hmmm could it be some of the capped units were labeled as uncapped who knows ...I have heard a capped unit and music is lifeless sounding on it ..A pic of my serial number attached mine definitely has bass

I don't know what the Sam hell Sony is doing 😳 But I do know it's easy to know if you have a capped one with that stupid message interrupting you.

Pic of Asian pacific back (HK) with extra certification markings. Ha, just noticed they have a business.gov. industry website... why?

20230220_112549.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #1,199 of 4,137
Did you do the REW sweep test ? Or not got kit to do it. (or I missed it)

Feb 20, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #1,200 of 4,137
Did you do the REW sweep test ? Or not got kit to do it. (or I missed it)
Not yet will do later still enjoying player...can i use REW sweep on an imac? or windows machine only ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back