New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Mar 5, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #1,096 of 1,937
Look for some Monster Miles Davis Tributes or Turbine Pro Golds. They will probably give you what you want.

Quote:
hey guys, i just bought the 215's, and i am one of the very few around here, who is not really impressed with them, even after about 100 hours of burn in... thinking of buying an e6. you think it's worth the 30? will it change stuff? i need more bass and more empowering and warm sound.

Mar 6, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #1,098 of 1,937
5c28fe8e-85d7-a0a1.jpg

Got mine the other day and I've got to say they sound amazing.
I'm shure (pun intended) that the seal has a great deal to do with it. I'm using a medium olive on the right and a large on the left. Thing I might put a large on the right tomorrow and see how that goes.

Got an iPhone 4, fiio L9 lod, E5 and then these.

Ive only had 1 full day listening to these so far but am very impressed. Came from sennheiser ie6's and didn't like their sound.

Mar 7, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #1,099 of 1,937

Quote:
5c28fe8e-85d7-a0a1.jpg

Got mine the other day and I've got to say they sound amazing.
I'm shure (pun intended) that the seal has a great deal to do with it. I'm using a medium olive on the right and a large on the left. Thing I might put a large on the right tomorrow and see how that goes.
Got an iPhone 4, fiio L9 lod, E5 and then these.
Ive only had 1 full day listening to these so far but am very impressed. Came from sennheiser ie6's and didn't like their sound.

You are right about the seal. I was using the foam tips like the ones pictured here. When I switched to the silicon, the seal was air tight in my ear. The first time I got to experience that seal was when I went to take them off and I had to squeeze them to allow air in. Otherwise it was sucking the innards of my ear out. lol

Way better sound out of my SE315's now.

Mar 30, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #1,100 of 1,937
I was really looking forward to loving these 'phones...

I bought them at a bargain for use on public transport as a commuter. They're my first IEMs.

My initial impressions are:
Positive: Awesome isolation, very comfy, very full and deep bass.
Negative: Very warm sound, fluffy bass, SERIOUS lack of detail in the highs, general "veil" in upper mids.

This is based on just a couple of hours though, and compared directly to my Denon D2000s (listened to during the day in the office).
The Denons are more defined in the bass and have FAR more presence and detail in the upper mids and highs.
Don't know if it's a fair comparison, and these are my first IEMs. I bought them at a bargain, and my main objective was isolation for flying and PT. I think they fit the bill for that, but they are not audiophile to me.

Mar 30, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #1,101 of 1,937
They definitely aren't high end audiophile IEM's, but they are good value. I use mine mainly on the go, such as when I'm on the bus, on the plane, or at the gym. They isolate nicely, and in these situations, it wouldn't matter really how well it sounds as there is still a considerable amount of background noise.

Mar 30, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #1,102 of 1,937

Quote:
They definitely aren't high end audiophile IEM's, but they are good value. I use mine mainly on the go, such as when I'm on the bus, on the plane, or at the gym. They isolate nicely, and in these situations, it wouldn't matter really how well it sounds as there is still a considerable amount of background noise.

I'll be using a lot of public transport (mainly train) from now on, that's why I bought them. I just find the bass so un-defined and overblown that it smudges everything else. The recessed upper mids are a big turnoff as well (due to the bass?)

I'll give them a few months, then decide if I need to upgrade to stay happy.

Any comments on what I might like better at a bigger budget? SE535s or something from UE?

Edit: Made a new thread for comments.

Mar 31, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #1,103 of 1,937
I have the TF10's and although they do sound better, I find that they don't isolate as well as the Shure's. I'm using Comply tips on the TF10 and there is quite a bit of background noise still. I'm pretty sure anything in the Shure line would have the same level of isolation though.

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #1,104 of 1,937
Whether you use the Shure or Comply tips go here and make sure you have picked the right size. Initially a smaller (S or M) size might seem more comfortable than the next size up.
This is an audio test. If you don't hear the 50Hz tone without pressing the buds to your ears, you likely picked too small a tip. It's a good check...

http://www.sensaphonics.com/?page_id=833

they do sell custom tips for Shure.. custom formed, not cheap. Might be worth just doing the test and use the correct tip you already have.

May 22, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #1,105 of 1,937
I've had mine for a year, more or less, and I haven't had a single problem with them. I plan to take them to college with me, and trust that they will also survive the years to come. Mind you, I don't treat them like babies: they're thrown around, put inside my pocket, kept inside a drawer, and whatever other thing you can think of, and yet they withstand everything. They still sound as awesome as they did the first day: not incredibly detailed, but full-sounding, bassy, and very... fun to listen to. I mostly listen to rock, metal, jazz, house, and rap and they fit these genres perfectly. I'd recommend them to anyone who listens to those genres and wants a pair of sturdy IEMs.

Jul 13, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #1,106 of 1,937
I just got a pair of these and I am pretty happy with them. Spent some time going through the tips and found that the triple flange (previously purchased) with the smallest tip cut off gives me the best seal, best response and is the most comfortable. I don't find these quite as good as my atrio M5s....but I wanted something with controls. 

Thinking about getting some custom molds made. Anyone had any done? Last ones I had done were somewhat hard plastic and not very comfortable.

Jul 14, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #1,108 of 1,937
Does amping it improve quality?

iPhone 4 > Fiio L9 LOD > Fiio E6 > Shure SE215 = ?

At higher volumes, yes. The iPhone can only push the volume up but so much.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Jul 14, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #1,110 of 1,937
Quote:
I was really looking forward to loving these 'phones...

I bought them at a bargain for use on public transport as a commuter. They're my first IEMs.

My initial impressions are:
Positive: Awesome isolation, very comfy, very full and deep bass.
Negative: Very warm sound, fluffy bass, SERIOUS lack of detail in the highs, general "veil" in upper mids.

This is based on just a couple of hours though, and compared directly to my Denon D2000s (listened to during the day in the office).
The Denons are more defined in the bass and have FAR more presence and detail in the upper mids and highs.
Don't know if it's a fair comparison, and these are my first IEMs. I bought them at a bargain, and my main objective was isolation for flying and PT. I think they fit the bill for that, but they are not audiophile to me.

My impressions exactly, even after 48 hours of 'burn-in'. Coming from the HifiMAN RE252, it's a step down though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back