New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Apr 12, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #466 of 1,937
Got mine yesterday. To me, they're a miniature HD650: smooth, laid-back and warm. But very good presentation.

What bothers me at the moment is the poor level of detail, but that should be expected considering the price.

However, I think I prefer a more energetic presentation (with highs!) and sub-bass but this is a nice one for any collection.

Apr 12, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #467 of 1,937
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed a little amount of distortion on certain frequencies?

I was listening to a song the called "Goa (from) Electrosoul System (juju remix)" and it has a reasonable bassline, but when it dropped to its lowest point, which isn't overly low, I head some distortion coming from the right earphone.

Only a select few songs that I have heard so far have managed to get this happening, but knowing that these are supposed to be quality IEM's, this scares me... and this was on 6% volume on my laptop (seeing as these things on 100% are enough to deafen you in under 5 minutes) :\

Anyone have/had this problem?

Once again, only a few songs do this, but it isn't nice to hear, it is a kind of fuzz, like you get from a radio when the bassline causes it to fuzz up a little as the reception isn't always the best.

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #468 of 1,937
It maybe your laptop.

Have you tried the same tracks, be it in standard/high quality MP3 or lossless format over other platforms or sources as well?

Apr 13, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #470 of 1,937
Just to update further.

I used my SE215's in the gym earlier today. I did a sweaty 40 minute cardio workout and they stayed put throughout the session. The isolation was great, as good if not better than the Shure E4C were in the same location.

I was thinking of giving the Comply Foam tips T-100 a try and wondered how the sizes compared to the Shure black foam pads with regards to the sizing  (S M L) and also how the Comply's compared to the Shure with regards to durability and how long they lasted.

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #471 of 1,937
As you go to the larger Shure Olive sizes the diameter increases quite a bit, but the overall length increases only slightly.
The Comply P-series 'Standard' is longer (and better for me than the Shure) type, and allows for deeper insertion, especially with a earpiece shape like the SE215, which will allow it only so far.  
I also find that with care (clean fingers and ears) the Comply will last longer. The surface of the Shure Olives seems to to break down rapidly.

So a question for you... How does the sound of the SE215 compare to the E4c?

Cheers.

Apr 13, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #472 of 1,937
As you go to the larger Shure Olive sizes the diameter increases quite a bit, but the overall length increases only slightly.
The Comply P-series 'Standard' is longer (and better for me than the Shure) type, and allows for deeper insertion, especially with a earpiece shape like the SE215, which will allow it only so far.  
I also find that with care (clean fingers and ears) the Comply will last longer. The surface of the Shure Olives seems to to break down rapidly.

So a question for you... How does the sound of the SE215 compare to the E4c?

Cheers.

I am seriously impressed with the SE215, the bass is so much better than the E4C.

I tried the E4C and the SE215 right after each other with the same music and it was clear to hear the bass was far stronger (without been overpowering) with the SE215, the mids and the treble to my ears were on par with the E4C (if they were less with the SE215, then I wasn't unable to tell).

I must admit that the fitting into the ears with the SE215 is not as easy as to what I have been used to with the E4C, I think this is because the E4C are a different shape and go into the ear at a more deeper angle than the S215. But I suppose I'll get used to the fitting into the ears and I expect in a few weeks it will become second nature.

I find the isolation with the SE215 to be as good if not better than the E4C.

Overall I am seriously impressed with the SE215, they are well worth the £99 price. Thanks everyone who has helped me out, it's much appreciated.

Thanks for the help re the Comply tips. I'm tempted to give them a try because I've tried all the Shure ones and am curious to what the fit, sound etc will be like with the Comply tips, but I am wondering what size I would need has I use small/medium rubber flex sleeves on my SE215, so I was thinking perhaps medium in the Comply tips to allow for a tight fit after they have expanded. How do you find the girth of the Shure olives compared to the Comply tips in the same size in both?

Apr 13, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #475 of 1,937
Apr 13, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #476 of 1,937

Quote:
Thanks for the help re the Comply tips. I'm tempted to give them a try because I've tried all the Shure ones and am curious to what the fit, sound etc will be like with the Comply tips, but I am wondering what size I would need has I use small/medium rubber flex sleeves on my SE215, so I was thinking perhaps medium in the Comply tips to allow for a tight fit after they have expanded. How do you find the girth of the Shure olives compared to the Comply tips in the same size in both?

The small / medium comply T-100 with the small / medium Shures seem similar in size. The Comply's have nothing as wide as the Shure large. It's just crazy big.
blink.gif

The 'Standard' P-series is longer than the rest and even when trimmed makes the best and deepest seal. The diameter of the T-100 is fine for me, but it's too short for a complete seal.

Hope that helps.

As for the SE215 v. E4c: Thanks for the comparison. The E4c is still a pretty darn good IEM. It's a little slow and muted, but not bad. It's got a slight roll-off in the highs and not the greatest bass response, but it's a perfectly respectable unit that is relatively neutral through the rest of the spectrum. Yes the fit of the E4c is very easy to work with. The SE215 (I assume), is much like many of the other newer Shure's (and other mfgr's) in that it's body sits flat against the concha. There is not much adjustment possible. So the length of the added tip will determine the depth.

Thanks again.

Apr 13, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #477 of 1,937

Quote:
Are any of you burning them in? I just got mine and what to do everything right. Can I just listen and not worry about it?

Don't panic about break in, they will do it anyway as you push music thru them. I reckon I have about 75 hours on mine- the 1st 20 odd would were mainly pink noise files downloaded from someone's sig here.  But don't worry about what you break them in with, just put your player on shuffle overnight and hit them with as many different tracks as you can and in 50 hours they'll start to come alive.  BTW I did enjoy the recent Rossi Stoner garage contretemps!  

Apr 13, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #478 of 1,937
Today, for the 1st time, I listened to the 215s on my iPhone 4 without equalisation, for around an hour on shuffle (OST/classical/electronic/alt rock) -so far I have been using treble boost which is quite severe) .  

Highs sounded much better than they did after approx 50 hours, I think they've finally opened up. My only dynamic iem comparision is HJE 900 which burnt in quicker, these are slower and more subtle.

Apr 13, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #479 of 1,937

Quote:
Damn, looks like I've got a faulty unit!   Intermittent sound on the left unit.  It's not a cable issue (somewhat ironically this being Shure) as it happens when I swop the cables over.   I do get music if I leave it in a certain place, if theres no music when I turn the cable gently then theres this odd almost clicking sound, almost as if the connector on the unit itself is loose.  Anyone got any ideas to try to fix it?

Oh well looks like it's rma time.  Will explain that I did carefully cut the memory wire, and take it from there.   Gutted.

Cheers.

I'm having no sound in the left earphone! :frowning2:

2 weeks whit this earphones and today I have no sound, the last night I was listening music in both earphones. To test the problem I have switched the left with right earphone in the cable and it's ok, it's not the cable.

Apr 13, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #480 of 1,937

Quote:
Don't panic about break in, they will do it anyway as you push music thru them. I reckon I have about 75 hours on mine- the 1st 20 odd would were mainly pink noise files downloaded from someone's sig here.  But don't worry about what you break them in with, just put your player on shuffle overnight and hit them with as many different tracks as you can and in 50 hours they'll start to come alive.  BTW I did enjoy the recent Rossi Stoner garage contretemps!  

Okay i will just do that then.

..and yes the recent feud between Rossi and Stoner was quit entertaining. I just couldn't believe that Colin Edwards couldn't hold on for 3rd. Crashing on the last lap!!!! Poor guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back