New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Apr 7, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #436 of 1,937

Quote:
This IEM more than any other dynamic based IEM I have owned has changed only minimally with burnin and the bass has certainly not become deeper in my mind. Don't get me wrong I like them and think they have better bass than many IEM's I have owned but they are not a bass monster IEM. Just a nicely balanced IEM that has more bass kick than most neutral IEM's but if you find them lacking bass I suspect other than head burnin you won't be seeing a big improvement in that area.

Fair enough. Same here, I do love them, and they sound fantastic.

I guess it's a good thing that they aren't overpowering like others, but I am quite a basshead. It's just that some of my favourite songs have heavy and low basslines, which don't seem to jump out and benefit the song as much as they used to. Oh well, I still have my speaker system :)

I was actually originally looking at Logitech when I found this review on Earphone Solution's site, then did a little research and came accross Head-Fi and bought them. Then not long after read a few posts about the UE series of earphones breaking easily, haha good thing I found out about the 215's.

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #437 of 1,937
Got mine yesterday.  Getting them to fit my ear was a bit of a problem because the phones have a really big part that goes parallel to the side of the head. Getting a seal was therefore a problem too.  But I think I've got a good enough seal now.  Finding a way to shove these in was not intuitive. The very tip is the only part that gets shoved in very deep, and it is narrow enough to get in adequately even though it is quite short.  Unlike my UE 500's, 600's, and superfi 5 pros, I guess the part that goes in the ear isn't holding much circuitry or something, so it can be smaller.  A little odd, but cool in its own way.  Leads to greater comfort in the ear canal.
I'd still hesitate to recommend these phones to someone with a small external ear portion.  The part that does hold the circuitry is BIG.also, sorry that I cannot paragraph. This site does not behave properly for me on Firefox 4.0.  Also, these are not easy to sleep with.  They are big enough that they push pretty hard into my ear when lying on my side.  Sound is good, but I don't get the clarity on twangy mid-range and high-range guitar notes that I do on my UE's.  Equalizing helps, but the clarity is just not there.  Even the UE 600's resolved the midrange better and some of the high end better.  Women's voices are another thing that lose their edge and precision somehow.  Still, the sound is decent and I can listen to them for hours on end without fatigue or ear pain.  And after the flimsiness of my UE cables, the cables feel like you could raise the Titanic with them.  I've returned my last 3 UE's within a week.  I won't be returning these SE215's.

Apr 8, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #438 of 1,937
Ordered these for $90 using a coupon code on soundearphones.com I think.  Their amazon profile said they were from Ohio, so hopefully they get to me fast. 

Can anyone tell me if Sony Hybrids will fit?  I used them for my PL50s and I loved them.

Apr 8, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #439 of 1,937

Quote:
Also, these are not easy to sleep with.  They are big enough that they push pretty hard into my ear when lying on my side.  

Which tips are you using?  I think you may not be putting them in far enough.  I use the black foam tips and I find that I can sleep on my side very easily with them.  It's the oddball shape that makes them comfortable when you are resting the side of your head on a pillow.  I'm still getting the hang of putting these in my ears because, as you say, it's not really intuitive how to put them in.  It's the angle of the tip that makes it tricky.

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #440 of 1,937

Quote:
Sound is good, but I don't get the clarity on twangy mid-range and high-range guitar notes that I do on my UE's.  Equalizing helps, but the clarity is just not there.  Even the UE 600's resolved the midrange better and some of the high end better.  Women's voices are another thing that lose their edge and precision somehow.  Still, the sound is decent and I can listen to them for hours on end without fatigue or ear pain.  And after the flimsiness of my UE cables, the cables feel like you could raise the Titanic with them.  I've returned my last 3 UE's within a week.  I won't be returning these SE215's.

the mids & soundstage will improve somewhat with burn in, and I THINK I've started to notice a slight treble improvement after 100 ish hours.  Of course it could just be the 215s burning ME in but I definately don't needs as much +ve treble eq as I did around 50 hours.  Anyone else notice this? 

Apr 8, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #441 of 1,937
ok so mine arrived and here are my impressions.  No burn in and used for 3 hours so far.  I don't think i'll be saying anything that hasn't already been said about these phones buy here it goes anyway.  Please consider that im not experienced in describing sound quality:
- Build is excellent.  Dare i say probably the best in this price range?
- Cord is super long. Skipping rope anyone?
- Would not recommend for use with iphone with case.  THe plug is huge but luckily for me, my pixelskin HD case just manages to accept the plug.  You could doctor your iphone case but you may butcher it in the process.  Or perhaps the $50 shure music cable has a smaller plug.
- Comfort > well unfortunately due to the large housings, a feel quite a bit of pressure on my outer ear.  May have to give these up because of it
- Sound > good bass.  I would say very very slightly less than Klipsch s4 and perfect amount by my books.  Quality is right up there too.  Mids are excellent and better than s4i.  I can easily notice the difference in mids between the two and immediately prefer the shures over s4s.  For reference, I found the xears TD-III mids too forward.  Some headfiers label se215's as forward but i'd like to call it just right and they are exactly where the should be.  Initialy i found the sound somewhat congested but they are starting to sound less so the more they are used.  Treble is fine for my needs.  I don't need lots of sparkle because these simply fulfill the most important factor of music, that is to enjoy it.  Unfortunately because of the fit for my ears, the uncomfort distracts from the overall enjoyment.  Do I part with these because of the fit issues? Well I am struggling to do so because after months of searching, i've finally found something I really enjoy. 

Apr 8, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #442 of 1,937

Quote:

- Comfort > well unfortunately due to the large housings, a feel quite a bit of pressure on my outer ear.  May have to give these up because of it...  Unfortunately because of the fit for my ears, the uncomfort distracts from the overall enjoyment.  Do I part with these because of the fit issues? Well I am struggling to do so because after months of searching, i've finally found something I really enjoy. 

I find these no less comfortable than Westone 2's.  Have you tried different tips and different depths of insertion? Or twisting the housing around slightly?

But I feel your pain, nothing worse than discomfort when you're trying to enjoy some tunes. 

Apr 9, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #443 of 1,937
Anyone else irritated with the length of the cable? It gets tangled really badly in my pocket, especially since it's also so thick. I don't see why IEM cables need to touch the ground when I'm wearing them (and I'm 6'2").

Apr 9, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #445 of 1,937
Yeah I'm getting a Neutrik L jack in the mail tomorrow. After I trade cables with another member here I'm going to chop some of it off to make it a more manageable length.

Apr 9, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #446 of 1,937
I just won a pair online. I expect them to arrive on Tuesday.

I was interested in these, but I doubt I will enjoy them as much as the HJE900 judging by the review in the first post.
Warm and soft highs are usually not my sound preferences.

Apr 9, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #447 of 1,937

Quote:
I just won a pair online. I expect them to arrive on Tuesday.

I was interested in these, but I doubt I will enjoy them as much as the HJE900 judging by the review in the first post.
Warm and soft highs are usually not my sound preferences.

They do sound great, but unfortunately, they aren't going to split your brain anytime with the bass they produce.They do have heavy bass compared to other IEM's, but they are well balanced, rather than overpowering.

Also, what are your sound preferences? :p

Apr 9, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #448 of 1,937
what are your sound preferences? :p

Punchy bass with really fast decay, not warm, not too bright, soundstage, sparkling highs, (slightly) v-shaped, great timbre. Preferences already sorted.

Of all the 'phones I've heard the PRO 750 comes closest but lacks the great timbre. The K701 would be also of my taste if it had more bass and slightly recessed mids.

Edit: Wow, this forum really is not iPhone friendly!

Apr 9, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #449 of 1,937

I hear you, I suspect I will end up buying a pair of HA-FX700 to fulfill my bass desires plus they will also give me more treble as well. I'm hoping they will be my Denon D7000 equivalent in an IEM.
Quote:
Fair enough. Same here, I do love them, and they sound fantastic.

I guess it's a good thing that they aren't overpowering like others, but I am quite a basshead. It's just that some of my favourite songs have heavy and low basslines, which don't seem to jump out and benefit the song as much as they used to. Oh well, I still have my speaker system :)

I was actually originally looking at Logitech when I found this review on Earphone Solution's site, then did a little research and came accross Head-Fi and bought them. Then not long after read a few posts about the UE series of earphones breaking easily, haha good thing I found out about the 215's.

Apr 10, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #450 of 1,937
Hi everyone, I have just joined this forum and I have been reading this particular post closely as I am seriously considering the SE215 due to my 5 year old Shure EC4 rubber strain relief where it enters the earphone housing is very nearly split all the way up.

I would be extremely interested to know how the SE215 compare sound quality wise with the Shure EC4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back