New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Apr 6, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #421 of 1,937
Hi guys, im planning to buy comply foam for my se215, however, i couldnt find se215 on their list. If any of you have se 315, 425, or 535 also, is the nozzle on se215 have the same dimension with those three? Because i can only choose those 3 on comply website. Thanks for your help.

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #422 of 1,937
I'm pretty sure the 535 is the same size nozzle.

Apr 6, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #423 of 1,937
Just ordered the SE215's. Was tempted to buy the SE315's and even had a look at the SE535's in the end. But decided to just go for the cheap option at the moment, will upgrade at some point over the years.

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #424 of 1,937
So, the Shure olives which came on the se215's are starting to pit and generally look less than fresh. I might have about about 50 hours on these, maybe up to 100. Is this normal? What is their life expectancy?

To contrast this, I have Complys on my other IEMs, with far more hours, and looking much fresher.

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #426 of 1,937
Great head phones for the price. I owned the Shure 110's and the 115's and quality in construction is equal if not greater. If your coming from balanced armature phones like those to these (Dynamic Driver) the jump in bass quality and strength will definitely please you. That's without a sign of distortion. I like the sound stage its way more open than the previous models by that I mean it doesn't sound like the music is "In your head." I wouldn't recommend these for people who like their high pitches super sharp like MEElectronics in the higher frequencies. I've used them for classical music and the open sound stage with a little fiddling with the EQ makes it more than acceptable but if classical is your primary music I don't recommend these. 

Ps I left the same review on Earphone Solutions.

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #427 of 1,937

Quote:
Also, I would like to state that I still hate the memory wire.

As for the Shures, yes. Whatever surfacing they put on them seems to crack and pit very quickly for me as well. I would go through them much faster than I ever went through Comply's.

And I agree about memory wire (in general). I don't have the SE215, but had the SE535 and never liked or got used to it. To thick and stiff and cumbersome.

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #429 of 1,937
As for the Shures, yes. Whatever surfacing they pur on them seems to crack and pit very quickly for me as well. I would go through them much faster than I ever went through Comply's.

Ah, thank you.

Do you know of a more durable substitute?

Apr 6, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #430 of 1,937
I must say, I'm starting to like these more and more, and the more I listen to other headphones, the more I want to come back to the SE215's. I put the small tips back on and tried sleeping on them again and it was actually pretty comfortable. These are my most favorite headphones I have ever owned.

I want a black cable though. I got clear for the clear earpieces, but I think a black cable + clear earpieces would look even cooler.

I just can't be bothered to pay $35 for a replacement cable...

Apr 6, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #431 of 1,937

Quote:
Do you know of a more durable substitute?

Well... you had mentioned Comply's in your earlier post, and I agree. With clean ears and fingers, my Comply's will last me months of daily / heavy use.

Apr 6, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #432 of 1,937

Well... you had mentioned Comply's in your earlier post, and I agree. With clean ears and fingers, my Comply's will last me months of daily / heavy use.

Thanks! I guess so... they aren't the cheapest things to get in Canada, but one does what one must! :cool:

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #433 of 1,937
Hi everyone,
   I'm new to this forum but it caught my interest when I Googled "shure se215 review." I recently got my SE215-K (black) from amazon. See my review below:

Quote:
I'm what you call a audiophile on a tight budget. I love getting nice treble, bass, highs, mids and lows without having to pay hundreds of dollars. I'm not saying that the high end stuff isn't worth it but it is simply not in my budget as a college student. I use Grado SR80i headphones w/ a PA2V2 at home and used to use Sennheiser CX-300's for music "on the go." My Sennheiser recently broke after 2 years (loose connection problem at the y-connector), which is why I purchased these.

Overall, I can definitely hear the improvement over the CX-300's. The difference is not dramatic but if you pay attention to sound quality, you will hear the difference. Every type of music I have listened to with these sound great (rock, jazz, trance, hip-hop). The build quality on these is far superior to the CX-300's (thicker cable, better reinforced y-connector, better reinforced 3.5mm connector (gold plated)). The cord is detachable from the monitors so if you ever damage the cord you can easily replace it without having to buy completely new earphones. I looked up the replacement cord on amazon and it costs $35 (on sale) which isn't bad... The cord length is more than sufficient (64").

At first I found putting on the earphones a little awkward since they are not the traditional styled earphones but I got the hang of it within 5 minutes or so. I use the default synthetic (foam-like?) ear-bud attachments. The medium foam-like attachment fits my ear very snugly and are very comfortable. I can see my self wearing these for hours without any problems. Finally the noise isolation is pretty good (significantly better than my CX-300's silicone). Fitting is very important for these earphones quality sound + noise isolation. Small, medium and large silicone AND foam attachments are included.

The pouch that is included is helpful BUT I wish they had included something to help with wire management. ie. something to "wrap around" and place the monitors inside, instead of just a sleeve. I usually just wrap the wire around my finger and carefully place it in the pouch and zip it up.

Overall I highly recommend these for the price. $100 well spent!

5/5

I think they will only get better when the break in. Right now I'm listening to "The Sugar Hill Gang - Rapper's Delight" and I have a big smile on my face.
ksc75smile.gif

Apr 7, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #434 of 1,937
Has anyone noticed a break in on the bass over time? I am loving the earphones, and they are definitely better in SQ than my last, but unlike most people here, imo the bass isn't as heavy as my last Sony's.

It is fairly good, but it seems to kind of 'soften up' when it hits e.g. a song with very low bass seems to be quieter, rather than ear shaking bass like my others. At first they ever seemed to get a little bit of distortion, but that has gone.

With my older earphones, a song like 'White Girl - young Jeezy' would make your brain buzz with bass, while the SE215's don't seem to be able to do that so well.

So, anyone noticed the bass getting bigger and badder as you use them? I'm talking about that real kick when a song drops.

Apr 7, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #435 of 1,937

This IEM more than any other dynamic based IEM I have owned has changed only minimally with burnin and the bass has certainly not become deeper in my mind. Don't get me wrong I like them and think they have better bass than many IEM's I have owned but they are not a bass monster IEM. Just a nicely balanced IEM that has more bass kick than most neutral IEM's but if you find them lacking bass I suspect other than head burnin you won't be seeing a big improvement in that area.
Quote:
Has anyone noticed a break in on the bass over time? I am loving the earphones, and they are definitely better in SQ than my last, but unlike most people here, imo the bass isn't as heavy as my last Sony's.

It is fairly good, but it seems to kind of 'soften up' when it hits e.g. a song with very low bass seems to be quieter, rather than ear shaking bass like my others. At first they ever seemed to get a little bit of distortion, but that has gone.

With my older earphones, a song like 'White Girl - young Jeezy' would make your brain buzz with bass, while the SE215's don't seem to be able to do that so well.

So, anyone noticed the bass getting bigger and badder as you use them? I'm talking about that real kick when a song drops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back