New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Apr 2, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #406 of 1,937

Quote:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Shure-SE215-CL-Clear-Sound-Isolating-Earphones-/130503488349?pt=AU_headphone&hash=item1e629d335d

Any chance these can be fake?

Can't find any shop in Australia that sells them :/

Be careful with E-bay and Amazon resellers.  If they're not authorized Shure dealers, you'll lose out on the 2 year warranty.  There are plenty of Head-Fi sponsors who are Shure authorized dealers. 

Apr 2, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #407 of 1,937

Quote:
That's what I find as well.  My W4's are sitting in their case.  The 215's are well rounded, detailed enough and just plain fun to listen with.  Notice I said listen "with"?  Sometimes, (with my W4's and HD600's) I find myself listening to the presentation more than the music, with the 215's I listen to the music.

Finding this statement about listening to the music to be more and more true as I continue to use the SE215's. I'm actually quite surprised at how good a job they are doing, seem to be well rounded and overall very enjoyable. They seem to be doing an excellent job of taking your "gear" out of the equation and just playing music. There is just the right amount of warmth to the sound in that it comes across as natural and therefore lets you just enjoy. 

Apr 3, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #409 of 1,937
Ordered a couple days ago and can't wait to try them! I wanted something cheapish to knock around with that didn't still sound terrible. Two UE 500's whose sound dropped out the first day and one UE 600 whose sound dropped out of the first bud within 10 minutes, then out of both at once within another 10, and I'm ready for something that's supposedly both a good listen at this price range AND durable. I loved their superfi 5 pro's so much UE probably could have had me for life, but I can't deal with lack of durability like that.

Apr 3, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #410 of 1,937

Quote:
Thanks! Now I'm tempted to buy the SE315's at 180 though :/ :D

If you go for SE315 you will lose a lot of bass quantity and slam that the SE215 has , in turn you gain greater clarity in mids and highs. Always trade offs, I personally look at mids highs then bass last.

Apr 3, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #411 of 1,937
Went to my local best buy yesterday looking for these. I ended up looking for 20 minutes with no luck so I asked an employee. He said he never heard of these earbuds before and then started talking about how i should buy some beats instead -__-
I checked online before I went and again today and said they were in stock. Looks like i'll have to phone and ask. 

Apr 4, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #414 of 1,937
Mine arrived last week from the $65 amazon seller, much sooner than expected.  I have no experience with iem's, they sound very nice, but they definitely have a learning curve on getting them into the ears.  I cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove the ear parts to change to a smaller size with breaking it!

Apr 4, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #415 of 1,937
put in a ziplock baggie in the freezer for about 10min or so and the tips are MUCH easier to remove. Even then they are a bit tough however it is at least do-able after the freeze.

Apr 4, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #416 of 1,937
Well, if anyone's curious, I bought mine for about $115 (incl postage) from a 100% good feedback seller from the USA, who sells mostly shure and other stuff specializing in sound (he's a sound techy).

Name's Zoltan4 I think.

Been about a week since, and atm I'm dealing with ONE sony in-ear earphone which has now lasted me about two years, as the left one completely dies yesterday :frowning2:

So hyped for these to arrive now.

Apr 4, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #417 of 1,937
Oh, also (sorry for the double post), when you talk about "bedding them in" do you mean to basically let them sit there for a day playing music on a medium level? (e.g. comfortable listening level) I am familiar with the term, and people even suggested to do that with systems like the Logitech Z-2300 which I have (wouldn't make much difference).

Sooo, just listen to them for a bit, then go and leave them playing music for a day? And would it still "bed/bud in" if I listen to them normally in the 30-60min bursts or not?

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #418 of 1,937
Ok, just recieved mine. Damn fast postage time.

So far I have had a little annoyance with the left earphone, as my left ear refuses to take any earphone unless it is forced in and fits perfectly. Anyway, I am using the meduim sized foam earbud on the right, and that fits beautifully, and the same on the left, as I am still experimenting with the left (it just squeezes its way out a little after a while). At the moment, it's hard to really explain what they're like, as I have only listened to them for about 20 mins, but I can't say I'm not pleased.

Very clear mids/highs compared to my last in-ear's and they also have decent bass, but assuming that I will have to let them sit for a few hours playing music on my iPod, the bass may get better. Compared to my last Sony in-ears which ahve been replaced by the 215's, the bass really isn't comparable after 30 mins, as I even get a little bit of distortion with bass heavy songs. So I have decided to let them quietly play some tunes, while I do my work.

The fit is quite comfortable, and they look pretty mean too. But like I said above, the left one keeps squeezing its way out after about 30 seconds wihich is extremely irritating. But noting another sized earbud can't fix. The right one slipped in and stayed in perfectly for about an hour before I took them out to call someone. Also, the memory wire proved no trouble at all. It is quite good actually. I didn't have any problems with taking off the buds either, all it took was a tight grasp and a bit or twisting and turning to get them moving, then just twisted and slid them off.

Overall, very happy I bought them, and very happy with postage as only yesterday my left earphone played the last note of its life, while the right one was fine :\ The SQ is great, and the bass is still yet to bed in, I guess.

Buy them, you won't regret it.

Apr 5, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #419 of 1,937
just got my $65 specials today.  They appear to be new, unopened iem's.  The way the box works on these it would be hard to repackage and reseal them.  I see no reason to believe they are refurbs or open box specials. so...very happy with the price.  Initial impressions are good and I agree with much of what has been written previously.  Good bass, forward mids, weak treble.  Excellent soundstage/headstage in a 2-d extension left/right.  Reminds me of the w3 and tf10 in that regard. When 'monster' by kanye came on my playlist it really extended left to right.

Fit is great, but I don't have many fit problems with iems...even the tf10's fit me well. I took off the olives and put on shure triple flanges with the top flange cut off that I had used with my w3's and these worked well, seemed to bring out a bit more treble. I will be using these for working out mostly and I don't want to use foamies for that. I just got back from a 40 minute cardio workout and they were very comfortable, didn't slip or fall out at all and isolated very well. Cord has very little microphonics and the memory wire works well. Build quality seems excellent.

Cons - cord is TOO LONG...I'm pretty tall and when my dap is in my pocket I still have a lot of cord hanging out. The cord length almost feels like full sized can length. Headphone jack is too big...there's no way it will work with an iphone in most cases or any other dap in a case. I had to remove my bumper to use it with my iphone. Speaking of my iphone 4, these don't sound great to me out of the iphone...too little treble and the 'treble boost' eq setting doesn't sound that great. They sound much better out of my clip+ rockboxed(treble raised) or my j3(treble increase and bbe increase). Out of the iphone there is a real lack of high end at times. That being said, I favor bass/mids so its not a deal breaker for me.

Will I reach for these over my monster MD's or TF10's...no way, sound quality is nowhere near those. Are these great workout/active iem's...heck yeah...great build quality, cord, fit and when I'm listening to music while working out the highs are what I'm looking for the least...give me bass and mids to keep me going. Also, I think I can sleep in these with the fit and isolation. So my initial feeling is they're great for $65, but I might be a little disappointed with the sound if I'd paid $100. I would not be disappointed with the fit, build quality and ergonomics at $100. The 2 year warranty also is a huge plus for the price.

From Memory, these remind me the most of Fischer Eternas(but my iem memory is not great, so take it with a grain/handful of salt)
I'll try and do direct comparisons with my turbines, m6p's, m1's and monster md's later.  

Forgot to mention I will burn these in and check back.

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #420 of 1,937
From reading a couple reviews on the 315 and 425, the tube that goes inside the ear tip is very breakable. Is this true? Does the 215 have the same problem? Thanks, I ended up canceling my order from head room because they ran out of stock. Sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back