New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Mar 14, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #136 of 1,937
^^^ - I've tried every possible position, and I just can't find one where they will stay reliably.  It happens...oh well.

Quote:
LOL..  Yeah, I guess they'd sound a little boring that way..  :)  Sorry bud.. So what's next for you??

Well, I've got a few other headphones in the same "class" price-wise, but I have yet to find the perfect headphone for what I do most of the time (the gym) when I'm listening to music.  Monster turbines aren't great over the ear without silicone guides, plus maybe a little too bass heavy for me.  The Phonak Audeo PFE (Perfect Bass version) are absolutely awesome, except they are too quiet for in the gym running with a Zune HD only.  Oh how I wish they were just a bit louder...right now, for a lot of my older recordings, the player is completely maxed out and even then it's quiet for some songs.  They fit perfect, have a decent cable, are ridiculously comfortable and they sound good.  Just too quiet!

I ordered a pair of Brainwavz M2 but I'm thinking I'll have the same issue over the ear as I do with the Shures because the strain relief is quite long.  I also bought a pair of Hippo VBs from another member here, but that was kind of a fluke, on a whim thing that I'm not expecting too much from.

We'll see...eventually I'll find my holy grail of <$100 earphones.  I don't really want to step up to higher class earphones when a majority of my time is spent in the gym (I know my wife REALLY doesn't want me to, lol).

Oh well...thanks for everyone's help.  :)

Mar 14, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #137 of 1,937

Quote:
I think they're NOT meant to be worn that way (above photo) but more like shown below (not me in the photos, BTW).

If my canals started as shallow as theirs, I would probably wear them that way.  But alas, my ear canal starts a little deeper, hence the depth of insertion.  Worn as above they sit in my ear opening and not in-canal as they should.

Mar 14, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #138 of 1,937

Quote:
I've tried every possible position, and I just can't find one where they will stay reliably.  It happens...oh well.

Well, that happens sometimes; not everyone who got the 'right' fit with the SE535s, for instance, found them comfortable. I did find my SE535 comfortable when I had them but found the swivel mechanism to be rather awkward, taking me longer to insert the shells and place the cables properly unlike my UM3X with removable cables or my ES3X customs. 

Mar 14, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #139 of 1,937

Quote:
^^^ - I've tried every possible position, and I just can't find one where they will stay reliably.  It happens...oh well.

Well, I've got a few other headphones in the same "class" price-wise, but I have yet to find the perfect headphone for what I do most of the time (the gym) when I'm listening to music.  Monster turbines aren't great over the ear without silicone guides, plus maybe a little too bass heavy for me.  The Phonak Audeo PFE (Perfect Bass version) are absolutely awesome, except they are too quiet for in the gym running with a Zune HD only.  Oh how I wish they were just a bit louder...right now, for a lot of my older recordings, the player is completely maxed out and even then it's quiet for some songs.  They fit perfect, have a decent cable, are ridiculously comfortable and they sound good.  Just too quiet!

I ordered a pair of Brainwavz M2 but I'm thinking I'll have the same issue over the ear as I do with the Shures because the strain relief is quite long.  I also bought a pair of Hippo VBs from another member here, but that was kind of a fluke, on a whim thing that I'm not expecting too much from.

We'll see...eventually I'll find my holy grail of <$100 earphones.  I don't really want to step up to higher class earphones when a majority of my time is spent in the gym (I know my wife REALLY doesn't want me to, lol).

Oh well...thanks for everyone's help.  :)

Don't sell the VB's short just yet. Start with the plate with two dots, and try decored olives or complys for tips.  They are fun.  You shouldn't have any problem feeling them..  I meant hearing them... LOL

Mar 14, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #140 of 1,937

Quote:
Well, that happens sometimes; not everyone who got the 'right' fit with the SE535s, or instance, found them comfortable. I did find my SE535 comfortable when I had them but found the swivel mechanism to be rather awkward, taking me longer to insert the shells and place the cables properly unlike my UM3X with removable cables or my ES3X customs. 

There was something strange about the 535's that just didn't work for me.  The angle of the nozzle actually irritated my ears, to the point where I wanted to tear them out of my ear.  No such trouble with the 215's, thankfully.  I still prefer the Westone fixed cables over the Shure replaceables.  I haven't damaged a cable yet, but then again, I haven't kept many IEM's long enough to have an issue :)

Mar 14, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #141 of 1,937
^^ Oh, I also prefer the fixed-cable Westones to the SE535 with removable cables, but prefer the UM3X with removable cables than the fixed-cable version, which is quite different to the SE535's swivel mechanism. Now, if the W4's had the same removable cable as the UM3X, they'd be a 100% perfect universal IEM for me.

Mar 14, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #142 of 1,937

Quote:
^^ Oh, I also prefer the fixed-cable Westones to the SE535 with removable cables, but prefer the UM3X with removable cables than the fixed-cable version, which is quite different to the SE535's swivel mechanism. Now, if the W4's had the same removable cable as the UM3X, they'd be a 100% perfect universal IEM for me.

If the W4's cable was wrapped with barbed wire, I'd still prefer them over the 535..  LOL   But let's not stray too far off topic.. 

I'm currently enjoying the 215's out of my Cowon J3 right now.. and I just flipped on BBE for a change.. Usually I prefer no Eq or effects, but I must say the BBE enhancement is great with the 215's.  The other settings can push these things into Basshead territory and beyond..  

Mar 14, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #145 of 1,937
That looks like a pic from touchmyapps :)

I do have a question about the removable cable on these however. How are they for those who use glasses? I really do not like the Westone ES cable because of the memory wire since it is short and is not very glasses friendly so wondering how these are.

Mar 15, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #146 of 1,937

Quote:

I do have a question about the removable cable on these however. How are they for those who use glasses? I really do not like the Westone ES cable because of the memory wire since it is short and is not very glasses friendly so wondering how these are.

The memory wire extends about half way down the back of my ear..   Sorry bud, I don't wear glasses so I'm not sure how they would be.

Mar 15, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #147 of 1,937
Rawrster, I will let you know what they are like for me as I do wear glasses. I hope they don't bother me though :).

Mar 15, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #148 of 1,937

Quote:

The photos were not taken from Touchmyapps.

I also wear glasses and have no issues whatsoever with the Westone ES cable's memory wire (ear guides) - different type of glasses I guess. Didn't have any issues, either, with the SE535's ear guides; the issues I had with the SE535s - apart from SQ - were to do with the swivel mechanism design of the removable cables which made the whole inserting process rather fiddly on top of the cable being somewhat microphonic and inflexible.

Mar 15, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #150 of 1,937

Quote:
Anyone knows how these phones compares with Shure SE315? From what I've read, I expect they are less analytical but more "fun" and punchy.

That would be a good assessment. The SE315 is also a single driver but it has a balanced armature driver. The SE215 features a single dynamic driver which, in most cases, can move more air, hence the "fun" and punchy adjectives would be in most cases an appropriate description.

Here's a video on how Balanced Armature Drivers work: 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back