New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Mar 12, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #76 of 1,937
I haven't heard the Eterna so can't say what they are like. But a V sound does mean strong treble and bass with either a neutral mid-range or a recessed mid-range. But in any case the mid-range will sound recessed in comparison to the bass and treble.

Mar 12, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #78 of 1,937
The closest I can think of to the Eterna would be the IE8 but I only heard the IE8 on min bass setting so not sure what it is like on max setting. The Eterna to this day has the biggest mid bass hump I've ever heard and overpowers the rest with the midrange being next most prominent with the treble being last.

Anyway I want some more SE215 impressions :p

Mar 12, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #79 of 1,937
Well, I literally cannot get these things in my ear comfortably.  I've been trying all night off and on to do it quickly and effortlessly and it just isn't happening.  If I unhook the cable, voila, perfect fit no problem...when the cable is connected, my ear just doesn't cooperate.  Anyone want my Shures?  :)

Mar 12, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #80 of 1,937
damn thats fast,  do you like the sound?

Quote:
Well, I literally cannot get these things in my ear comfortably.  I've been trying all night off and on to do it quickly and effortlessly and it just isn't happening.  If I unhook the cable, voila, perfect fit no problem...when the cable is connected, my ear just doesn't cooperate.  Anyone want my Shures?  :)

Mar 12, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #82 of 1,937
You have tried the different tips I assume?

Edit:-

Just remembered another member on here having the same sort of problems with the 535.  Without cable fit perfectly, with cable wouldn't seal.  Sounds like you've run into the same problem unfortunatley.

Mar 12, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #84 of 1,937
How much bass does these headphones have? I keep reading that it has a lot of bass, but I'm a complete bass head, and I'm hoping these have close to as much as the Meelec M31.

Really looking forward to getting them in the mail next week.

Mar 12, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #85 of 1,937
Quote:
You have tried the different tips I assume?

Edit:-

Just remembered another member on here having the same sort of problems with the 535.  Without cable fit perfectly, with cable wouldn't seal.  Sounds like you've run into the same problem unfortunatley.

Yeah...tried all the tips and then some other ones I had around.  It's not the tips either...with the large silicone tips, the earphone seals perfectly, but without the cable.  So it is literally the geography of my ear that isn't working, not the tips themselves.  

They have a significant amount of bass (the most I've ever heard in a Shure IEM, no doubt)...bassheads definitely can look to this earphone as my other favorite is the Turbine (which has slightly more bass than the SE215.  I think the Shures are a little smoother and they don't distort quite as much as the Turbines at high volume, but I haven't used em all that much because it's such a pain in the ass to put them on.

Mar 12, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #86 of 1,937
I hope I have better luck with fit. That would be frustrating to have something sound good but just not fit my ears (actually I have had many IEM's and headphones with that issue now that I think of it, I ended up selling every one too). The good news is these should be very easy to resell through the for sale forum.

Mar 12, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #87 of 1,937
Quote:
I hope I have better luck with fit. That would be frustrating to have something sound good but just not fit my ears (actually I have had many IEM's and headphones with that issue now that I think of it, I ended up selling every one too). The good news is these should be very easy to resell through the for sale forum.

Yeah, obviously the design works for nearly everyone because it's the same as all of the other Shure SE models, so I'm definitely in the minority here.

Mar 12, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #89 of 1,937
My 215's just arrived at my door.  They are packaged well and include a nice soft case, the usual selection of tips (s,m,l silicon/olives) and the instruction manual.  The packaging doesn't require any sharp instruments to open (bonus).  The removable cables are thinner than the 535, and lack their protective outer cover.  I swear you could have used the 535's cable as tie downs or to hold up a loose muffler.  The 215 cables are excellent for this price range and beyond.  They don't retain memory except where they should (ear guides) and are not microphonic at this point.  They fit much like the 535's but the nozzle doesn't appear to be as long. (correction, the nozzle is as long, the olives were bottomed out on the stem) The medium olives come equipped, which are my favorite tip for most IEM's.  They fit nice and flush in my ears, and I could see them being comfortable enough to sleep in. 

I'm a firm believer in burn-in for dynamic iem's, so I will update my first impressions after they've burned in overnight and beyond.

First impression:  Wow, Shure can make an IEM with fun bass. That's the first thing that stands out when coming from the 535's.  The bass isn't sloppy and I don't hear a mid-bass hump, but these are definitely more of a consumer friendly IEM (fun).  I've cycled through a bunch of different songs and genres and so far so good.  The mids are velvety smooth as you would expect and they aren't far behind the bass.  I don't detect much bass bleed in the mids.  The highs aren't as bright or as forward as others in this price range, but they do have sparkle and definition to them.  I haven't heard any sign of sibilance and I don't expect it.  If anything, I'd say these are more balanced than most "fun" IEM's with a slight emphasis on the bass at this point.  Even if the bass doesn't settle in I could be very happy with these.  They will have no problem settling in to my number two position (my W3's will be sold, the others will be gifts).  Even without burn-in, I like these more than my RE0 and my VB's.  They offer enough definition across the board and give me the dynamic punch in the bass that I like.  These won't make me forget about my W4, but they will get more head time as the summer approaches and more of my time is spent outdoors/on the beach.

Shure has a winner here, especially for those that are looking for a fun sound signature.  I can't call these V shaped at this time as the highs don't reach the levels of my VB's, W3's or the HJE900's. They aren't bass monsters either.  They do have an emphasis in the bass region (pre-burnin), but they aren't as bold as the VB's, IE8's, ME6's.  I like what I'm hearing at this point.  The highs are crisp and accurate, the mids are velvety smooth and the bass has great punch and decay.  The more I shuffle through my playlist, the more I like these IEM's.  The soundstage isn't unusally wide, but is sufficiently wide enough for classical orchestra pieces and live music.  You're sitting in the first few rows, but not quite on stage.  Separation is decent for a dynamic, even with very little time on them. I don't hear a veil of any kind and things don't get too messy when a song gets busy.  The 215's are a winner so far.  I'll put a few more hours on them in my ears, then let them burn-in overnight.  The hardest part might be taking them out of my ears, thankfully I have the W4's to fall back on :)

They won't knock any top tiers off the charts, but they will give everything in their price range a run for their money and then some!!

Mar 12, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #90 of 1,937
@joeyrusso that sounds very promising :). I may have found a better Denon D7000 IEM alternative than my Denon AHC-560R from the sounds of it. But of course only my ears will be able to confirm that. It's interesting about the cable as I was under the impression the cable was the same as the SE535. It may explain why the Iphone version was $50 more though as that model specifically states it comes with the 535 iphone cable. Thats OK though as I deliberately bought the non-iphone version because I can buy the iphone cable for just about the same price ultimately and then I will have a backup cable in case the one breaks or if I am using them on a device that doesn't work well with the iphone tip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back